• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madagascar in August? (1 Viewer)

jimthom

My question is, should I go to Madagascar in August?

My work schedule only allows me to visit Madagascar in either February or August.

February is out because it's cyclone season. August is dry, but it's winter.

All wildlife guidebooks, for mammals and birds alike, recommend Sep-Nov. But shoulder seasons can often be just fine.

However, motifs running throughout Madagascar wildlife guides are typified in quotes like this one from Nick Garbutt's "Mammals of Madagascar." After raving about how spectacular Kirindy is, he says, "In winter forests may appear quite lifeless..."

Similarly, Sinclair and Langrand's "Birds of the Indian Ocean Islands" (3rd ed. 2013) states, "In the rainforest...the birds--and especially the mesites and ground-rollers--are silent and tend to be inactive during the dry, cold season (May-August)."

Madagascar is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for me. I don't want to blow it by showing up to a rainforest in which the birds—especially mesites and ground-rollers—are “silent and inactive” (and thus, presumably, hard to see). Yes, it's true that SW Madagascar is good during August, but I've only got one chance to go to Madagascar. One section won't do it. I have to get a good cross section of the whole country in one single trip.

So, what do you think? Madagascar in August. Still worth doing? Are guidebooks overstating the barrenness of the country at that time? Can expert local guides still tease out the animals in August? Or should I wait till I retire in 2030, when I can go in November, and hope that there are still some natural areas left in the country at that time?

After doing an October trip, all I can say is do it - however, the protected areas, although small are pretty well protected - I don't think a (few) year's wait would be more disastrous than going at the wrong time - but I've no hands on experience of any other time. Happy to suggest a local agent who can set things up for you (see the Mad Month in Madagascar thread by Birdboybowley).

Hi,
I would say go in August rather than waiting. Myself and a friend were forced by holiday circumstances to do a birding trip for 3 weeks there in August 1997. The only time I've been. We hired a car with driver who knew the sites, and made use of the local guide services in the reserves. Considering the time of year, lack of a modern field guide (O. Langrand's being the only one available at the time) and the lack internet info/trip reports etc. at that time we did reasonably ok. All the Mesites and Ground Rollers were sighted, although I personally dipped on the Scaly. A bad miss for us was Schlegel's Asity, of which we were shown an empty nest from the last breeding season. All reasons to go back someday! Apart from these however we got nearly all of our targets with the help of the local guides.
We didn't get to the North East which I'd like to do on a return trip, and since our visit 'impossible' species have now gettable in the West and South west: M. Pochard, Sakalava Rail, Red-shouldered Vanga (not even described on our visit!). Of course the few migratory species such as M. Cuckoo, M. Pond Heron, M. Pratincole will not be present but that wasn't really a major concern for us at the time.

Regards,
Aidan

Could be a go

Thank you so much for the encouragement and useful information.

Thanks, Adrian, for the plug for August. Really helpful. It sounds like it might be a go!

And thanks, WP, for the heads up on the Mad Month in Madagascar thread by Birdboybowley Super useful!

I'll be traveling alone, so I won't be able to get quite the nice prices that Birdboybowley and his group got, but Gaby and company sound like good blokes to go with.

I was thinking about doing some flying, but doing it by car (even at 60 kph!) sounds doable. I should have about 3 weeks, so I think that should be enough to get most of the major sites in.

If I manage to get the trip together, I'll try to post a detailed account here to contribute to future trips of others.

Thanks so much again!

Check out Ian Merrill's report form Aug/Sep - easy to find on surfbirds.

Wasn't there quite a lot of wasted time and missed birds in Birdboybowley's trip? Haven't read it for a while, so I might be wrong but that's my recollection...

A few useful things in this previous thread too (and no doubt others on here): 'Bird Guides in Madagascar'

Cheers all,
Andy.

Unfortunately, work-related circumstances have had me put off a possible trip till August 2016. But that doesn't mean I've stopped planning.

Tipping is a notoriously hard subject to get concrete advice on (just the usual--and not so useful--"according to your satisfaction/level of service,” stuff). I did come across a few tidbits, though.

• main guide (not birding guide--guide who speaks your language accompanying you and arranging local wildlife guides, checking you into hotels, and just generally taking care of business): Ar 20,000/day
• driver: Ar 10,000/day
• local wildlife guides: Ar 3000/hour
• wildlife “spotters” assisting local wildlife guides: Ar 1500/hr

It wasn't clear from any of the places I looked if those rates (for guides and drivers--not bellboys and cleaning staff) were per person or not. I'm guessing maybe not? Rates are per day regardless of group size (up to say 6 people per group?)???

• restaurants: 10%
• cleaning staff: Ar 2000/day
• bellboys: Ar 2000/bag

• boat drivers: ??
• meet and greet drivers at airports: ??

Anyone know if those rates sound about right? And if the rates for guides/drivers are per person?

On other trips I've taken, if suggested tipping rates were per person, I always tipped for two people even though I travel alone, since most trips are geared towards two people minimum.

I'm going to Madagascar in September with 5 friends and been also investigating tipping. Have come up with similar figures as Jim. My belief is that the tipping rates are per group and that is what we plan to use unless advised otherwise (???) - when compared with the average salary in Madagascar (~$250 p.a.) any other plan would seem to be disproportionate.

As Jim, would welcome comments on this.

Cheers

John

In 2012, we just tipped sensibly as a group and as we saw fit. We weren’t mean but we didn't go over the top either. Seemed straight forward...

Getting hard numbers on tipping amounts continues to be one of the most difficult quests in the entire world of birding.

I might have a better chance of spotting a Slender-billed Flufftail.

I'll try to report back with specific numbers if I come across any before or during my trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back