• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Dot Sights (Reflex Sights) on Spotting Scopes (1 Viewer)

Henning - thank you for the posting and you’re most welcome for the praise. You’ve brought some really useful insights and skills to the forum. I really appreciate your willingness to share.

Very best regards,
Jerry

Hi again,

The reflex sight is a cheap one from Amazon, but I'm really pleased both with the features and the quality. It offers different reticles and, importantly, green illumination (which shows much better against a bright, sunny background).

Interestingly, Nikon just announced a reflex sight for mounting on a hotshoe that provides both the red and green illumination as well as different reticles:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4311878

I believe the older Olympus EE-1 didn't have any of these features, so the Nikon looks like a genuine improvement to me.

If I understand the technology correctly, the Nikon can also be easily adjusted by turning two adjustment wheels, while the EE-1 was adjusted by the pushing of little buttons, which sounds less convenient.

My cheap airgun sight can only be adjusted by losening one screw with a hex key, then adjusting it with another, different size hex key, then tightening the screw with the first hex key again, so it's quite inconvenient in comparison. On the other hand, it came at EUR 30 with most of the features the Nikon sight offers at $200 ...

To mount the Nikon or Olympus sights on a NATO rail, you'd obviously need an adapter ... maybe it's time to design a 3D printable one ;-)

Regards,

Henning

Hi Jerry,

I can’t seem to locate this adapter at the 3D sites. I think it’s brilliant! Is it available for printing or sale?

I hope your attempt at printing a copy is coming along well :)

Here's a picture of my test print, along with the main parameters:

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:840078

Your PM quota is exceeded, by the way ... I think you need to delete a couple of messages before anyone can contact you by PM again.

Regards,

Henning

I have been following this and some other threads and trying various things to get a red dot on my TSN 82sv. Tried the zip tie and honestly for me and especially with a stay on case it is not stable enough. Next have tried a piece if Picatinny rail first zip tied on , and found reverse taper of scope body makes red dot point way too high, then tried a couple of pieces of 20MOA rail, and close, but my stay on case is loose enough that it is not real stable. I finally got the idea of just bolting a sideward extension from the sliding plate on my b 500ah fluid head and attaching the red dot to it. I will probably use a couple of Picatinny risers to raise the red dot to closer to scope centerline. Hopefully it will be simple and stable.

I found a scrap piece of aluminum bar today, clamped it onto the fluid head plate bhind my scope, then clamped a piece if Picatinny rail to the aluminum, clamped my red dot on it and played a bit. Played with it a little, and when I got the dot to where it matched the center of my view, quickly able to find multiple distant objects so I think this is my answer. I got some thicker aluminum stock on order and some better screws so I can make a decent looking and sturdy mount.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back