• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pensarn & Conwy Rspb Visit 19/01/2014 (1 Viewer)

Abbeybirder

Usual start taxi 6am coach 7am.

This was a change to the programmed day as we were going to stop just outside Rhyl for a couple of hours by the river but instead we ended up at Pansarn a beautiful little area on the sea front Wales not too far from Llandudno/Conwy/Rhyl.

Arrived around 10.30am we stayed here for nearly 2 hours parked just over the railway bridge as there was no parking for coaches on the front, walked the very short distance (5 minutes if that) to the sea front where there were already half a dozen birders on the sea wall, we did ask if they had seen anything of interest and the reply I got was just the usual and no sign of the Surf Scoter seen the day before.

The sea was full of bird life with 100’s of birds out there but not too much up close did manage to see 2 LIFER’S on this short visit these being Red Throated Diver and Red Breasted Merganser both beautiful birds just bobbing along the sea waves and from time to time diving out of sight.

There were 100’s of Common Scoters coming and going along the sea front along with what appeared to be 100’s of Great Crested Grebe and also another first for me a pair of Mallards on the sea they seemed to really be enjoying themselves just bobbing along.

Just along the coast there were a flock of Dunlin around 50 and a smaller flock of Oystercatcher 20+ on the beach car park were 5 very tame Turnstones, never been so close to these species before and how different they look in the naked eye to the image you get through the scopes or binoculars beautiful birds indeed.

I would recommend this place to anyone as there are toilets, a café, and plenty of places to watch birds from people were very friendly and locals seemed to be intrigued as to why there were so many people around with scopes and camera’s but they welcomed everyone with a great reception.

SPECIES SEEN TODAY –

Black headed gull, Carrion crow, Common scoter, Feral pigeon, Great crested grebe, Herring gull, Lesser black backed gull, Magpie, Mallard, Oystercatcher, RED BREASTED MERGANSER*, RED THROATED DIVER*, Rook & Turnstone

Just 40 minutes away from Pensarn this is a great RSPB reserve with improvements being made as I write a wonderfully thought out reserve with entertainment for the whole family they are really trying to get the younger generation into birding and a shout out musty go to all the staff at the reserve.

I only managed to do the three hides and 2 feeding stations as I was feeling a little ill with pain in my neck and shoulder but I must admit I would return tom this reserve tomorrow if I had the chance.

Right on to my visit review in full now

When you pass through the visitor centre and go towards the toilets and café just between the two buildings is a small area where they have put a feeding station up this is a hit and miss area as on my first visit to the area I saw virtually nothing except Blue tits, but on my second visit I had some great views of both Tree Sparrow and Blackcap (male) with Reed Buntings moving around the reeds and a few House Sparrows also in the area it made for a better time.

The first couple of hides go under the same name of Tal-y-Fan Hide these are good hides with both giving good views across the water and able to see the ground around and to the sides next hide along is called Carneddau Hide again this gives great views across the water and of the ground to both sides of the hide.

I unfortunately didn’t get to the other hide (Benarth) or either of the screens along the far side of the reserve but hope to later in the year.

Species seen from the hides were Red Breasted Merganser (now I’ve seen one I’ll see them everywhere) Goldeneye and great views of a pair of Scaup on the islands in the pools where a good aray of waders for this time of year from Curlew to Redshank and Black Tailed godwits along the trail back to the car park there is a second feeding station which gave great views of common garden birds.

SPECIES SEEN TODAY -

Black tailed godwit, Black headed gull, Blackcap, Blackbird, Blue tit, Canada goose, Carrion crow, Common gull, Common snipe, Coot, Curlew, Goldeneye, Great tit, Greenfinch, Grey heron, Herring gull, House sparrow, Lapwing, Lesser black backed gull, Little egret, Magpie, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Pied wagtail, Pochard, Red breasted merganser, Redshank, Robin, Rook, Scaup, Shelduck, Shoveler, Teal, Tree sparrow, Tufted duck & White wagtail

Attachments

• CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (17).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (17).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 74
  • CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (18).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (18).JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 72
  • CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (19).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (19).JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 72
  • CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (20).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (20).JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 75
  • CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (22).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (22).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 78
And the last few photographs from Conwy RSPB

Attachments

• CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (24).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (24).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 63
  • CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (23).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (23).JPG
    32 KB · Views: 50
  • CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (25).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (25).JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 65
  • CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (27).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (27).JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 62
  • CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (29).JPG
    CONWY RSPB 19 01 2014 (29).JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back