• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Grasshopper? (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Heath and Marsh amid mixed, swamp forest.

About 2cm, Heath Grasshopper maybe?

A

Attachments

• P6280362.jpg
    P6280362.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 26
The markings on the pronotum suggest Field, on Heath the black wedges inside the white lines running from front to back on the pronotum would extend to the rear edge of the pronotum, in Field, as depicted in the image they fall short, leaving a border of whatever the ground colour of the specimen is, which, in this example is green.

The markings on the pronotum suggest Field, on Heath the black wedges inside the white lines running from front to back on the pronotum would extend to the rear edge of the pronotum, in Field, as depicted in the image they fall short, leaving a border of whatever the ground colour of the specimen is, which, in this example is green.

The wings are too short for Field surely?

A

I don't think so, typically they'll extend to or beyond the tip of the abdomen, which they do in the image, it also has the right amount of hairiness about the body.

I don't think so, typically they'll extend to or beyond the tip of the abdomen, which they do in the image, it also has the right amount of hairiness about the body.

I just read a piece that said that on Field, the wings pass the knees, on Heath they don't.

I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about Orthoptera but the wings seem short for Field, the pics I've looked at seem to show this to be quite clear?

It could of course be neither up here?

A

Definitely not Field Grasshopper as the keel pattern is wrong. Also not Heath but not sure which species you have over there.

If you'd mentioned at any point in your initial request for ID help, or even in the subject title that it was taken in Russia I wouldn't have wasted my time with it. How about being a bit more specific in future to help us help you.

If you'd mentioned at any point in your initial request for ID help, or even in the subject title that it was taken in Russia I wouldn't have wasted my time with it. How about being a bit more specific in future to help us help you.

Apologies, a genuine oversight on my part, I don't think there's any need for the attitude.

Most regular contributors are aware of where I currently am.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back