• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (3 Viewers)

Just found out that the Eurasian Magpie has been split five ways, which has given me an armchair lifer with the Magpie I saw in Morocco in 2009. It has been renamed Maghreb Magpie (Pica mauritanica).

Attachments

• Maghreb Magpie 9361.jpg
    Maghreb Magpie 9361.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 30
Just found out that the Eurasian Magpie has been split five ways, which has given me an armchair lifer with the Magpie I saw in Morocco in 2009. It has been renamed Maghreb Magpie (Pica mauritanica).
Where will it end?!
The only prob is that for every new species you can tick there are more that you haven't seen (in my case, anyway). Azure-winged magpie has also been split.

This is where it helps me not to be very good. So I take pics whenever I can because I can't ID on sight. I took a pic of a magpie in Bhutan assuming it was from a different species but where I could not tell the difference, only for the guides to suggest it was not a new species after all. But now it seems to have split again.

So I assume, given its location, that this is in fact not a Eurasian magpie, but a black-rumped one?

Attachments

• 42023117880_04dc1c35f0_c.jpg
    42023117880_04dc1c35f0_c.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 42
This is where it helps me not to be very good. So I take pics whenever I can because I can't ID on sight. I took a pic of a magpie in Bhutan assuming it was from a different species but where I could not tell the difference, only for the guides to suggest it was not a new species after all. But now it seems to have split again.

So I assume, given its location, that this is in fact not a Eurasian magpie, but a black-rumped one?
Yep, Black-rumped Magpie Pica bottanensis should be right :t:

Sabine’s gull. On a pool on the side of the Brecon Beacons. Not where you’re supposed to see them but I bet the views were better

Common Murre. Not the best photo. I’m seeing a lot of hybrid gulls along the coast of Oregon to bad they can’t be counted (though I don’t really keep up all that well).

Attachments

• 75CC9122-47A8-4AF2-A4B7-65F51CDB0BCB.jpeg
    75CC9122-47A8-4AF2-A4B7-65F51CDB0BCB.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 29
  • E750B61E-9BD7-4DB8-8974-B92C010C4A4F.jpg
    E750B61E-9BD7-4DB8-8974-B92C010C4A4F.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 24
SW Australia

We're just back from a trip to SW Australia, where I ticked 116 new birds. The last was a Brown Falcon, Attached.

My 3000th lifer was Yellow-billed Spoonbill. I failed to photograph them as we drove by on the freeway south of Perth, but later I managed photos near Albany.

Good birding,
Jeff

Attachments

• Brown Falcon.JPG
    Brown Falcon.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Yellow-billed Spoonbill DSCN6453.JPG
    Yellow-billed Spoonbill DSCN6453.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 21
Seven lifers last week in the US:

Montrose Point, Chicago:

Bay-breasted Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Swainson’s Thrush

Farmington, Connecticut:

Baltimore Oriole
Common Nighthawk

Andrews Point, Rockport, Mass.

Cory’s Shearwater (since the birds I saw off easten Italy 15 yrs ago are actually Scopoli’s)

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back