• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid bn 8x32, are they still worthy? (1 Viewer)

...comments about the versatility your Leica 8x32 Trinovid BA has because of its old type baffling. I guess the reason for its absence in the Ultravids was in the interest of saving weight. It reminds us that an "improvement" in one area of a binocular can often result in different problems in the new version...

For the sake of the record, I feel compelled to point out that this is speculative rumor.

I don't think any evidence exists to suggest that baffling in the 8x32 Ultravid (and its later iterations) is inferior to that of the earlier 8x32 Ultra Trinovid BA or the BN. I certainly haven't found that to be the case. In my opinion, the 8x32 Ultravid HD+ offers the same wonderful optics as the 8x32 BA/BN, but with better lens and prism coatings, perhaps slightly lower CA, and an impressively compact body design that I find fits my hands differently but as well as the BA/BN. When it comes to optical performance, I think there is everything to gain and nothing to lose (except $$) from opting for the Ultravid models over their predecessors.

--AP

Last edited:
For the sake of the record, I feel compelled to point out that this is speculative rumor.

I don't think any evidence exists to suggest that baffling in the Ultravid (and its later iterations) is inferior to that of the earlier Ultra Trinovid BA or the BN. I certainly haven't found that to be the case. In my opinion, the Ultravid HD+ offers the same wonderful optics as the BA/BN, but with better lens and prism coatings, perhaps slightly lower CA, and an impressively compact body design that I find fits my hands differently but as well as the BA/BN. When it comes to optical performance, I think there is everything to gain and nothing to lose (except $$) from opting for the Ultravid models over their predecessors.

--AP

I think you're right, and I generally agree. The exception, for me, sans the optical component, are the 32mm versions. They just feel and fit right to me.

I've had three Ultravids. Two 7x42s and an 8x42. Great bins all but I still prefer my 8x32BNs for the way they handle and their ease of view. The little 32mm Ultravids I have used briefly but never owned. They do have the Ultravid shape however, albeit scaled down, and I prefer the Trinovid shape.

In addition, for some reason, I slightly prefer the transmission and color rendition of the Trinovids a little more than the admittedly brighter Ultravids though they probably aren't as "accurate".

Last edited:
"In addition, for some reason, I prefer the transmission and color rendition of the Trinovids a little more than the admittedly brighter Ultravids though they probably aren't as "accurate".

The BN's enhance the color with a lot of saturation. They almost make things look better than they really are. I can remember taking my BN's to the zoo and looking at lions and thinking the lions looked better through the BN's than they did in reality. Their coat was just a rich, warm, yellowish golden color.

Last edited:
In some ways comparing an 8x32 BN to a current Asian bin is a little like comparing an air cooled 911 Porsche to a current Honda ............................................................................

We've suffered while reading how the latest thing just "blows away" the last greatest thing and that we shouldn't trust our own lying eyes. .............

...................................................................................

It is also not a good idea to trust the people who write about comparing binoculars who use terms like "blows away" when they do. Your own "lying eyes" are more reliable.:smoke:

Bob

In some ways comparing an 8x32 BN to a current Asian bin is a little like comparing an air cooled 911 Porsche to a current Honda or Subaru. On paper, these cars have better numbers and will probably beat the Porsche on the racetrack.

But which is the more gratifying experience? And, that Porsche can still get with the program!

Some things have a tangible / intrinsic feeling of quality and design. Some are the flavor du jour.

In the time frame that a certain person on these forums has had dozens, if not hundreds, of binoculars and declared most of them the last word on optics, I've had Leica 8x32 BNs and have been perfectly content.

We've suffered while reading how the latest thing just "blows away" the last greatest thing and that we shouldn't trust our own lying eyes.

Discussions of ergonomics, focusing, eye relief issues, ease of view are often ignored or relegated to the back seat when brightness and flat field and field of view and a few others are brought up. Clearly, not everyone is as impressed by absolute brightness or flatness of field as others or require a birding bin to be everything at once. Some look down the middle, enjoy a near perfect, effortless view, and are happy.

And not everyone develops an emotional attachment to inanimate objects.

It is also not a good idea to trust the people who write about comparing binoculars who use terms like "blows away" when they do. Your own "lying eyes" are more reliable.:smoke:

Bob

When it gets right down to it, accepting anyone's comparisons and reviews as gospel is not a good idea, as quite likely another person's eyeballs won't agree with yours, and vice versa.

In some ways comparing an 8x32 BN to a current Asian bin is a little like comparing an air cooled 911 Porsche to a current Honda or Subaru. On paper, these cars have better numbers and will probably beat the Porsche on the racetrack.

But which is the more gratifying experience? And, that Porsche can still get with the program!

Some things have a tangible / intrinsic feeling of quality and design. Some are the flavor du jour.

In the time frame that a certain person on these forums has had dozens, if not hundreds, of binoculars and declared most of them the last word on optics, I've had Leica 8x32 BNs and have been perfectly content.

We've suffered while reading how the latest thing just "blows away" the last greatest thing and that we shouldn't trust our own lying eyes.

Discussions of ergonomics, focusing, eye relief issues, ease of view are often ignored or relegated to the back seat when brightness and flat field and field of view and a few others are brought up. Clearly, not everyone is as impressed by absolute brightness or flatness of field as others or require a birding bin to be everything at once. Some look down the middle, enjoy a near perfect, effortless view, and are happy.

GREAT post Kevin! :t:

But please, PLEASE don't compare a 911 to a Honda/Subaru! ;)|:D|` Not REALLY sure it's legal to use them in the same sentence..

Well we've pretty much beaten this dead horse into pulp, so I may as well pile on. There seems to be two camps, one camp being dissatisfied with anything but the absolute latest, most improved optic, and the other camp that is happy with what was once the top-of-the-line optic, fits him or her perfectly, has proven itself in all conditions over and over in real world use, and appears bulletproof.

Personally I fall in the latter category, though I went through a period of bino obsession that left me always wanting the latest model Leica, Zeiss, Swaro or Nikon. I went through several top end binos before realizing my 8x32 SEs and 8x42 Ultravid BRs did everything I needed putting a smile on my face in the process.

Attachments

• honda-nsx_2.jpg
    honda-nsx_2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
April 8th, post #1:
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a good binocular for birding and butterfly watching on walks...(I'm 5ft tall and have correspondingly small hands). l'm currently looking at the Trinovid bn 8x32....

Is there anything else I should look at? I think I'm going to have to stear away from brand new, cost wise, for a better quality binocular too but I'm not too sure for the improvements that it's worth buying new.

Your thoughts on this ladies and gents would be gratefully recieved. :t:
April 10th, post #17. The original poster responds as follows and since then has been silent.
Hey! Thanks for all your thoughts and experiences, good and not so good.

The BN s still seem to be worth trying if I can find a pair. Are they heavier than the HD? I'm almost obsessed with weight!

Thanks
Wrenie

April 19th, post #29 is the last in that discussion.
Aug. 10th, post #30:
Hello,

I just saw this thread after post elsewhere...

I'm new here and know nothing about birds! I found this forum and thread while searching the internet for information on Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN binoculars...

Cheers!
From there the thread seems to be about the latter binocular except for this post:
Aug. 13th, post #80:
For someone who is 5ft with small hands I caution you to measure your IPD or try them in person before ordering the 8x32 Trinovid. The 58mm minimum IPD on this model excludes many potential owners. They are too wide for my face and I am of otherwise average proportions.
May be this poster is aware that the original poster is still looking for a binocular as first described. If so:

The new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 might suit you. It is widely praised for its optical quality and ease of use, is much lighter than any 8x32 or even 8x30, and folds down to a very small IPD. Only in very low light situations will it be not as good as the best of those. The currently stated price for it in the UK on the internet starts from GBP 549.

April 8th, post #1:

April 10th, post #17. The original poster responds as follows and since then has been silent.

April 19th, post #29 is the last in that discussion.
Aug. 10th, post #30:

From there the thread seems to be about the latter binocular except for this post:
Aug. 13th, post #80:

May be this poster is aware that the original poster is still looking for a binocular as first described. If so:

The new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 might suit you. It is widely praised for its optical quality and ease of use, is much lighter than any 8x32 or even 8x30, and folds down to a very small IPD. Only in very low light situations will it be not as good as the best of those. The currently stated price for it in the UK on the internet starts from GBP 549.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, I didn't mean too. |:$| I had no idea how crazy ya'll are... and then I felt at home. :eek!:

Yuk, occasionally I have done that too without meaning to!
It seems that this situation is not usually regarded as too much of a problem in this forum.
We note that lately the Leica Trinovid BN 8x32 has in turn been replaced by the Porsche 911 Classic.

You must not know much about Honda. They don't just make family cars. I imagine the new Honda/Acura NSX would give most Porsche's a run for their money.

https://nsx.acura.com/explore/nsx
https://hpd.honda.com/

I must have struck a NERVE! ;)

I know a little about Honda's sports cars....all I WANT to know. I do know Acura is branch of Honda and they have offered a sports car called an NSX from time to time, albeit a sports car without much of a history OR pedigree which was EXACTLY my point. I knew this without google, BTW. No doubt a great car but no real history OR pedigree.

I DID use google to see exactly when/how long a 911 has been offered. Wikipedia says from 1963 to present. Over fifty years and going strong. Amazing. It's no Johnny come lately. Not many automobiles can match that which was my point.

Sorry on my part for disrupting this thread. I DO have a soft spot for 911s as it seems some do for a Honda.

This is a weird thread that has definitely drifted from the quality of the binoculars to their place as a status symbol or whatnot. Anyone would probably be fine/pleased using the BNs, but to say they are a strong competitor to new options at the same price point is, in my opinion, farcical. They are distinctly less bright, exhibit more Chromatic Aberration, and have weaker color fidelity than many newer options at the same price point.

Last edited:
This is a weird thread that has definitely drifted from the quality of the binoculars to their place as a status symbol or whatnot. Anyone would probably be fine/pleased using the BNs, but to say they are a strong competitor to new options at the same price point is, in my opinion, farcical. They are distinctly less bright, exhibit more Chromatic Aberration, and have weaker color fidelity than many newer options at the same price point.

If the "newer option" binoculars hang around as long and are used as long as the old "status symbol" binoculars have been, they will have proved their worth.

If the "newer option" binoculars hang around as long and are used as long as the old "status symbol" binoculars have been, they will have proved their worth.
Vortex, Leupold, Meopta, and others that offer the newer options to which I refer are all established companies with lifetime warranties and well-regarded customer service.

Again, this is not to put down the BN series which has a wonderful history, but is meant to highlight, particularly for people just getting into optics, that new options in the mid-range bracket are often superior to the alpha options from days gone by. And note that I have owned the 7x42 BNs and compared them to some of these newer options (sold them at below market pricing to a friend who has been pleased with them), so I'm not just talking theoretically on this point.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back