• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (45 Viewers)

Today's highlights: The Moors was 90% frozen for some time and one of the Bitterns showed fairly well from the east hide in the northern reed bed, whilst a second bird could be seen from the west hide in the eastern reeds/trees. The third bird was reported to fly from right of the west hide to reedmace not too far left of the west hide. It was not seen to fly from this location right upto 18.45--quite dark.

The Med Gull was first located at the Flashes during the early afternoon, but did not stay long. It was relocated early evening before flying off again, only to be relocated on the Sailing Pool.

MOORS:
Barn Owl------------------------Bittern (3)
Med Gull (Ad)-------------------Shelduck(2)
Snipe (8)------------------------Oystercatcher (min 5, but possibly 8 across the reserve)
Shoveler (7)--------------------Pochard (12)
Gadwall(4)----------------------Wigeon(f)
Tufted Duck(47)----------------Teal (8)
Cetti's Warbler

FLASHES/SAILING POOL:
Avocet (9)----------------------LRP
Curlew (14)--------------------Common Gull (Ad)
Shelduck-----------------------Teal(46)
B H Gull (c160)

Des.

Des
Presumably the Broadmeadow pool was frozen as well, as there were 11 gadwall feeding on the 'New Zealand pygmy weed' there yesterday.

Hi John
This is the 'mohican' haircut I was asking you about.
Are they cormorants or shags please?
I took the photo from a video I made on 28th February.
Thanks Squeelia

Attachments

• 02-28-2013_160201.jpg
    02-28-2013_160201.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 114
  • S1310007.jpg
    S1310007.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 92
Mark,

I have personally recorded Water Shrew three times at UW. The last one was sadly found dead on the east track. I photographed it, posted it on this forum and sent the photo to the Trust.

Cheers for this Dave, last years publication " Worcestershire's Mammals" by WBRC states there are only 60 records of this species, and only recorded in 6 10Km squares.
Rosemary Winnall has been undertaking a recent project near Bewdley, going through 18 years worth of Owl nest box contents ! There were a lot of Water Shrew skulls, but so far finding evidence of active Water Shrews is not forthcoming. I'm sure UW is on the map, but will pass your comments on..:t:

Which is the broadmeadow pool? By the carpark ?

Hi Rich.
The pool by the car park is the North Moors pool. The area where we were working yesterday, is the 'scrape section of Amy's marsh. The pool behind the water depth marker in the scrape, is the Broadmeadow pool.
Pretty soon Rob will be producing a photographic guide to the main features of Amy's marsh.B :)John
no pressure there then Rob:t:

The white thigh patches on the cormorants indicate they are adults in breeding condition. Generally the grey feathers in the crown and hind neck indicate the maturity of the individuals. The whitish feathers tend to wear later in the year as summer progresses towards autumn.

Des yesterday I did not see 1 lapwing , I notice you haven't got any listed.

John the Moorspool thawed out quite quickly with the wind & the Gadwall appeared on the Broadmeadow later 4prs i think & 1 pr on the main pool. Lapwings were conspicuous by their absence with just a few around. Teal 5 on Moors 3 on Flashes & snipe 5 Moors. Linnet & Herring Gull on Flashes.

The white thigh patches on the cormorants indicate they are adults in breeding condition. Generally the grey feathers in the crown and hind neck indicate the maturity of the individuals. The whitish feathers tend to wear later in the year as summer progresses towards autumn.

Thanks for that. I learn a bit more every time we come to Upton Warren.
Celia

Well I can't match Reas on the reserve:-O but here's my efforts.

1. 4 Oyks disputing territory on the Sailing Pool pontoon.
2. Oystercatcher.
3. Common? Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Linnet.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB9903.jpg
    _ROB9903.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 106
  • _ROB9932 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9932 - Version 2.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 80
  • _ROB9985.jpg
    _ROB9985.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 146
  • _ROB0013 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0013 - Version 2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 98
  • _ROB0058 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0058 - Version 2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 96
Squeelia -

Great Cormorant is known as the Black Shag (no jokes, please) in NZ so maybe that is what you have seen? With such a wide distribution and a wide range of sub-species it is not surprising that the birds' vernacular name is as variable as the head-pattern can be....

Laurie:t:

Well I can't match Reas on the reserve:-O but here's my efforts.

1. 4 Oyks disputing territory on the Sailing Pool pontoon.
2. Oystercatcher.
3. Common? Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Linnet.

Rob

Rob
Maybe worth showing John at the centre the oycs. I think terns would probably nest on that pontoon if we put shingle on it. I will speak to john next time I go to the flashes. It would be nice to have one of those pontoons on the Moors for the terns. It might be worth investigating the costings, we could have that as a fund raising item, for the 'all-dayer and Paul's sponsored weight loss exercise. B :)john
nice pics by the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back