Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Spring Time Birding

Old Friday 22nd May 2009, 12:00   #1
OK_Scissortail
Oklahoma State Bird

Spring Time Birding

This Spring has been an exceptionally good one here in Oklahoma. I thought Fall/Winter birding had been great but I have been proven wrong..Spring is for sure the better birding time. My back yard is full of a variety of birds that I never thought would come true. The birds listed below I see daily. I have the approximate count beside each of the types of birds.

House Sparrow- 12
Indigo Bunting- 20- males and females
Painted bunting-10- males and females
Blue Grosbeak-6-8
Brown Headed cowbirds-too many
Baltimore Orioles- 6- males and females
Orchard Orioles- 2
Scissortail Flycatchers- 8
Dickcissel-2
Great Flycatcher-1
Common Nighthawk-4
Cardinals-8- males and females
Blue Jay- 4
American Goldfinch-4 males, 4 -5 females
Rose Breasted Grosbeak-1 female
Eastern Phoebe- 4 pairs
Barn Swallow- 3 pair
One very noisey Mockingbird
Hummingbirds-Ruby Throated
Common Grackle-2
Crows-4
Eastern Bluebird-too many to count
Nashville Warbler-1
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Tufted Titmouse-2
Chicadee-6
Nuthatch-several

I'm enjoying the Painted Buntings and Indigoes since I only had one female painted bunting last year and no indigoes. The painted bunting males are showing themselves all day so that is exciting. Not too shy this year. I can sit out on my deck and they will come up to a feeder while I am sitting about 5 feet away. So cool to watch them upclose. The blue indigo is very friendly too. The Orioles will come up to eat also but one has to be very still or they will fly off easily.

Not seeing a lot of warblers yet but they could be staying out in the pastures more then the other birds.

Our back yard has several maple, pine, and pecan trees spread out only a small bit which allows for cover and protection. I also have a pond beside the house along a spring fed creek and a garden pond on my deck with feeders under a Gazebo for added protection from predators. I am guessing that this all is adding to an inviting invitation for the birds that they seem to appreciate since such a large variety here. I hope they stay but only time will tell. So far they have all been here for a little over a month.

Anyone else having an exceptional Spring?
Old Monday 25th May 2009, 04:44   #2
lmans66
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK_Scissortail View Post
This Spring has been an exceptionally good one here in Oklahoma. I thought Fall/Winter birding had been great but I have been proven wrong..Spring is for sure the better birding time. My back yard is full of a variety of birds that I never thought would come true. The birds listed below I see daily. I have the approximate count beside each of the types of birds.
You have good birding and with it you have some good looking birds...not just the boring ones but orioles and grosbeaks and buntings etc.... I never would have thought Oklahoma that good!... Lucky you! jim

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: