Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Are my birds returning?

Old Friday 29th October 2004, 11:08   #1
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Are my birds returning?

Yesterday there were 10 goldfinches together on the feeders - the most I've had for a long time, and just now I've seen a coal tit on one of the hearts feeders. The last few weeks have been very quiet - even the nuthatch has been a very rare visitor, so I'm hoping he'll be back on his daily visits soon.
Old Friday 29th October 2004, 12:24   #2
Mary

Our numbers are creeping up too, Elizabeth. Maybe much of the wild food has been washed/blown to the ground, so the feeders are now the easiest options. Wren and song thrush have been visible again, so has the sparrowhawk! He sat on top of the bird table yesterday. With the sun shinning on him, his new feathers looked a treat!
Mary

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th October 2004, 12:57   #3
Tammie

It's been like that here lately too. Really quiet at the feeders for about a week now. I see a chickadee once in a while and a flock of evening grosbeaks will come in now and then.... that's about it, other than the bluejay pair hanging around.
Hope things pick up soon... it's much too quiet!
Old Friday 29th October 2004, 13:44   #4
david2004

It's actually been very busy here recently. there was a lull, but i'm now getting the usual collared doves, greenfinches, tits, starlings. even a pheasant! also house sparrows, which arent that regular here. robin only around rarely now. no dunnocks, wrens, thrushes, or blackbirds and only see the occasional chaffinch.
Old Friday 29th October 2004, 16:08   #5
Margaret Mc

I've noticed the numbers increasing. So much so I decided to try a new feeder position quite near the kitchen window. I didn't hold out too much hope but it was a great success - blue tits and coal tits clinging to the pebble dashing while 'sussing' it out. But then to my amazement the robin appeared - decided it was all for him and will not allow any others near it. He wastes so much energy in his bullet like attacks. Now the feeder and fat ball swing forlornly while he sits and watches from the nearby tree or the guttering above.

Anyone seen this in action - should I persevere - will the others wear him down eventually?
Old Friday 29th October 2004, 22:34   #6
Stewart J.

Things very quiet at our feeders very few Tits or Finches which is very unusual for this time of year. Neighbours report similar trend as did a friend I spoke to at weekend who lives n Hexham some 16 miles to east. We are usually mobbed by now but all we seem to have is a gang of spuggies and a few Chaffinch with occasional Blue, Great and rare Coal Tits. Peanut feeders lasting 2 weeks plus which is unknown even in summer? No Blackbirds and only 1-2 Dunnock. We are very rural with fields to front and river South Tyne to rear of house with plenty of trees and cover.
Hoping things will pick up soon and this is not a sign of the poor breeding season many small passerines have had as reported in various mags.

Stewart.

BF Supporter 2005 2007 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 30th October 2004, 18:47   #7
pauco
Старлинг фан

And i thought it was just this part of the world that was quite, numbers getting better now. But the male blackbirds seem very scarce? only 3 being very vocal am-pm. But the best of today, 1 goldfinch-4-blue tits-4 great tits-2coal tits. Still awaiting Bullfinch & Bramblings. House sparrows still 5o+
bert.

Paul.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: