Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca ~ S'Albufera

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 23rd December 2013, 20:21   #1
woodsc

Mallorca ~ S'Albufera

Hi
I was talking to a fellow birder the other day and he briefly mentioned visiting a nature reserve in the north/east of Mallorca and commented on the variety of birds there. He advised the best time to visit was in May which is the breeding season over there.
I have done some research on the net as to which reserve he may have visited and concluded it was the S'Albufera Reserve.

Reading Trip Advisor the comments are mixed some saying there was little bird activity ~ some commenting you could hear birds but not see them.

I am new to bird photography and seriously considering visiting the island for a taster.

Can anyone out there offer any help/guidance/advice?

Thank You
Regards..Colin
Old Monday 23rd December 2013, 21:14   #2
Andrew Crowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsc View Post
Hi
I was talking to a fellow birder the other day and he briefly mentioned visiting a nature reserve in the north/east of Mallorca and commented on the variety of birds there. He advised the best time to visit was in May which is the breeding season over there.
I have done some research on the net as to which reserve he may have visited and concluded it was the S'Albufera Reserve.

Reading Trip Advisor the comments are mixed some saying there was little bird activity ~ some commenting you could hear birds but not see them.

I am new to bird photography and seriously considering visiting the island for a taster.

Can anyone out there offer any help/guidance/advice?

Thank You
Regards..Colin
Albufera is a top, top birding site at any time of year but spring is particularly good. its impossible to begin describing all the possible species and the photography opportunities are also excellent. You can't go wrong.
Base yourself in the north & you are close to many other good sites as well. Find guide by G.Hearl - its getting a bit dated but you'll really get the potential.
Andrew
Old Monday 23rd December 2013, 21:36   #3
foresttwitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crowder View Post
Albufera is a top, top birding site ... You can't go wrong.
Agree completely - check out some of the trip reports in the Vacational Tip Reports sub-forum & the threads about Mallorca in the Spain sub-forum for more info.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Tuesday 24th December 2013, 06:14   #4
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2020

Another for s'Albufera. Spring definitely best: later in the year, the reeds are over head-height and it is much harder work (though there are several hides that make birding/photography possible). Haven't been in May but late April is great at this site.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th December 2013, 08:43   #5
Ben Nevis

I was based In Playa de Muro right next to S'Albufera In July and although as expected,It was not the peak time for birding,It Is still a fantastic place to visit and I seen plenty fantastic birds.I would Imagine that April/early May would be fantastic and as mentioned In previous posts,there are Hides for photography and also other opportunites should present themselves for more photography.

A fantastic place and I shall be back again In 2014.
Old Wednesday 25th December 2013, 14:19   #6
Andy Hurley
Opus Editor
BF Supporter 2020

There is an excellent book in english, "a Birding Tourist's Guide to Majorca" that cover 17 sites and 26 itineries that I find invaluable whenever I go there. I've been in winter and spring and there is always plenty to see especially for relatively inexpierenced bird watchers. But also rare species like Red Knobbed Coot and Marbled Duck can be observed from hides or walking across bridges there.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 29th December 2013, 20:29   #7
woodsc

Many Thanks to you all for information and guidance provided
Regards. Colin
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: