• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hopefully you won't be able to ID this bird: Northridge, CA (LA) (1 Viewer)

The Rainbow Chicken

Friend of Birds
Hello,

I live in Northridge, Ca - the west San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles County. I have been here for 20 years and have never seen this bird before until recently. Curiously, it resembles in some ways, my old best friend Sophia, a green cheek conure I had rescued whom was with me for over 10 years before a friend accidentally let her out, didnt tell me, and ended up getting lost in a storm. She was in serious mating mode when she disappeared. This odd brown bird looks like a cross between Sophia and a local wild bird. I know this is highly unlikely and considered not possible by popular opinion, still, I like to think maybe Sophia made it out there and made a family for herself. For that reason, I'm hoping you will not be able to ID this bird lol. Its brown, with round black eyes, approx 10" from tip of beak to tip of rump feather, small yellow/orange/red patch under beak @ front of neck, and a curious red/orange/yellow section underneath the rear rump toward the very back @ base of rump feather. This bird seems like it knows me - more friendly than a typical wild bird in this area. This video is on my personal Google Drive for public download. It is a safe file. Google rescans files for safety prior to each download. Its over 200mb so uploading it here was not possible. You will have to download it instead of streaming it if you want to see it in full resolution and to be able to enlarge enough to see the bird up close. BTW, the chirping you hear in tbe video is not this bird.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Si8MkesnQYRVdfY1Mzd3B4TlE/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back