• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

E-M1 MkII user question (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Trying out EM1 - mkii rental this morning for first time and have a couple of questions

Using a panny 100-400. do you set IS for camera or lens

Veiwfinder is a challenge to locate warblers, but this was expected issue i would think. However, part of the problem is view is so bright its difficult to see anything clearly. It's not giving me the image off the tree that i am looking at with my eye or would normally see in my 7dii. Hope that makes sense. Wondering if there is possible a setting i need to adjust

hello.

both the camera IBIS and the lens OIS are great, so i would experiment, and decide.
sometimes the IBIS is better for stills, while the OIS for videos, or visa versa.

not sure i understand the other question.

I use the lens IS, i have the evf set to show things as they are, so many settings to play with but this is a list of areas you could look at, i did them for BIF but it shows the choices.

9 box center focusing selection most of the time
C-AF
spot metering
continues L
af scanner 3
C-AF sensitivity +2
C-AF center start (but not on my small birds in flight against a clear sky as i want it to start on any point) for this i use all focus points
C-AF center priority
spot metering to stay with the center focus point
evf auto luminance on

s-ovfoff
quick sleep mode off

Going through the menu and i cant find it but ime sure i set the evf to the highest refresh rate

well one step closer, from this afternoon. problem was lack of birds to photo

will be out again in morning. this time old farm fields and hedgerows

Attachments

• yellow rumped.jpg
    yellow rumped.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 70
I used lens IS for that combo.

Unless the camera IBIS works in conjunction with lens IS, for longer lenses you are usually better going with lens IS than IBIS. Camera IBIS cannot fix the long focal length shakes as well as lens IS. For shorter focal lengths, it's a toss up.

I really liked that combo. It was easier to carry and use than the Oly 300mm f/4, though f/4 has its own merits.

Marc

starting to figure this thing out. a few sparrows from this morning. Images are better but think still need work

Attachments

• Song Sparrow_1.jpg
    Song Sparrow_1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Field Sparrow_1.jpg
    Field Sparrow_1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Swamp Sparrow.jpg
    Swamp Sparrow.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 64
The size of image that you upload is extremely small. I for one cannot see anything to judge quality

Niels

reload correct size. have some more but too large to forum. having problems with flickr. will post link when i can get it to work

Been using camera since Friday. Viewfinder is a challenge for sure.

Attachments

• Field Sparrow 2.jpg
    Field Sparrow 2.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Swamp Sparrow 2.jpg
    Swamp Sparrow 2.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 70
Initially just finding the bird to take the pic. With my Canon, see the bird, put camera on bird, done. With Olympus, see bird, pull camera up, take it down, look again, repeat. In particular if bird is on edge of bush. Depending on setting the screen may be washed out or too dark, so quick adjustment, look again missed bird. Been trying to find a happy medium Also when taking bif of geese yesterday, shooting low speed continuous and it pops up the last photo taken in viewfinder as I am still on moving bird. Trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Besides that I am starting to like camera in particular the light weight

Also when taking bif of geese yesterday, shooting low speed continuous and it pops up the last photo taken in viewfinder as I am still on moving bird.
Go to 'Spanner' settings in Menu and navigate down to 'Rec View' and turn it Off. That should help.

I assume you know that if you press the Info button you get a brief description of what each setting does?

Ron

Initially just finding the bird to take the pic. With my Canon, see the bird, put camera on bird, done. With Olympus, see bird, pull camera up, take it down, look again, repeat. In particular if bird is on edge of bush. Depending on setting the screen may be washed out or too dark, so quick adjustment, look again missed bird. Been trying to find a happy medium Also when taking bif of geese yesterday, shooting low speed continuous and it pops up the last photo taken in viewfinder as I am still on moving bird. Trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Besides that I am starting to like camera in particular the light weight

It must be possible to find a setting (possibly an auto-setting) that works for your EVF. I use a Pana camera and does not have problems with the light level in the EVF. On the contrary, if the EVF settings are correct, then you can see directly on the preview the effects of exposure compensation, you do not have to take a photo, lower the camera to look at the back, put the camera up to change exposure like I see some people do with their OVF.

Niels

overall i liked the setup. Again think it's just lack of time with camera. Unfortunately, weather did not co-operate today as dark skies have moved in with rain on way. Have to return kit today to rental place. Am seriously considering the purchase of a micro 4/3 system. My neck has appreciated the lighter load the past few days. Thanks to all for your help and advise.

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back