Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kent Birders - Getting to Pegwell Bay by Public Transport

Old Wednesday 18th July 2007, 08:19   #1
paulwfromtheden

Kent Birders - Getting to Pegwell Bay by Public Transport

The Kent websites are as useful as the proverbial chocolate tea-pot. Can anyone advise as to the best way to get to Pegwell Bay nature reserve from Ramsgate?
Much appreciated.
Old Wednesday 18th July 2007, 15:49   #2
wetlands_wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwfromtheden View Post
The Kent websites are as useful as the proverbial chocolate tea-pot. Can anyone advise as to the best way to get to Pegwell Bay nature reserve from Ramsgate?
Much appreciated.
Hiya Paul!
This site has alist of 'buses .. is it of any use?
Will PM you just in case you do not see this!

wetlandswedge.blogspot.com
wetlandswedgeothersites.blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 18th July 2007, 23:03   #3
Mickymouse
Ubuntu Linux user

I've got deja vu, didn't you want to do it by bike last year if I remember correctly. I don't know much about buses never use them, Ramsgate station is not all that far from Pegwell 3 miles if that, so getting a cab shouldn't be that expensive, It's what I would do. You want to be careful about timing because Pegwell isn't too good in the morning, the sun comes up over the bay and it is very tidal, time of year isn't too great either.
Come down in the autumn and perhaps we could meet up and I could give you a lift.

Mick

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th July 2007, 07:41   #4
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickymouse View Post
I've got deja vu, didn't you want to do it by bike last year if I remember correctly. I don't know much about buses never use them, Ramsgate station is not all that far from Pegwell 3 miles if that, so getting a cab shouldn't be that expensive, It's what I would do. You want to be careful about timing because Pegwell isn't too good in the morning, the sun comes up over the bay and it is very tidal, time of year isn't too great either.
Come down in the autumn and perhaps we could meet up and I could give you a lift.

Mick
Hi MM,
Yes, you kindly provided me with some info last year, but I never made it. Cant remember why, probably the weather! I looked the thread up a couple of days ago.
I remember you saying that it was not too good in the morning, so I was going to get down there a bit later.
Is this not a particularly good time of year? I was hoping to catch some waders as we dont get too many in South London!!! Do you think Oare Marshes or Elmley would be a better bet?
Also, would definitely be up for meeting up in the autumn.
I WILL get to Pegwell Bay sometime!!
Paul
Old Thursday 19th July 2007, 12:00   #5
MUNDO

There are a couple of websites that are worth a look that may give you an idea as to what is about at Pegwell Bay at the moment they are

http://www.planetthanet.org/

and

http://www.sbbot.co.uk/index.asp

Regarding getting to Pegwell I always walk down from my house which is quite near Ramsgate Station so I agree with Mick on this one
Old Thursday 19th July 2007, 23:33   #6
Mickymouse
Ubuntu Linux user

I called in at the station this evening and asked one of the waiting cabbies how much it would be for Pegwell and he said about 4 if that helps.
I don't know about Elmly I have never been there but Oare can be good, though how you would get there I have no idea.
The trouble with Pegwell is like I said the sun comes up over the bay so mornings aren't to good and being very tidal at lowish tides the birds are so far away, they are not that near at high tide because of the vegetation, a scope is essential, having said that I have spent some magical evenings there you just never know your luck.
Another good website for Kent is http://www.kentos.org.uk/recentsignt...tsightings.htm
I would say put Pegwell on the back burner for a couple of months it is a bit dull right now.
Mick

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th July 2007, 18:28   #7
John Cantelo

Personally I'd go to Oare every time in preference to Pegwell - the birds are much closer! Train to Faversham from London should be quicker and there are occasional buses from Faversham to Oare village (or nearby). I'd get off just before you get to Oare and walk along the creek to the reserve. It's not desperately far to walk from the station anyhow (unless there's a rarity in prospect!) & taxi should be less than that to Pegwell from Ramsgate,
John
Old Friday 20th July 2007, 19:07   #8
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Personally I'd go to Oare every time in preference to Pegwell - the birds are much closer! Train to Faversham from London should be quicker and there are occasional buses from Faversham to Oare village (or nearby). I'd get off just before you get to Oare and walk along the creek to the reserve. It's not desperately far to walk from the station anyhow (unless there's a rarity in prospect!) & taxi should be less than that to Pegwell from Ramsgate,
John
Thanks John, Oare's on the list...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: