• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Affordable bins (1 Viewer)

Alex10

I'm a novice birder and would like to buy a decent pair (truly I'd like a lot for not too much!). So I'm undecided on 8 by or 10 by's. I'm leaning towards 10's but I realize for a lesser price I might get better quality for 8's.
The all important price range is 100 to 180, can't go higher I'm in college.

1. Eagle Optics Denali 8 by 42
2. Alpen Shasta Ridge 10 by 42 or 8 by 42
3 Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 ATB Binocular
4. Atlas Optics Radian 10x42 Binocular(read the review posted for these, intrigued)
Those are the conteders, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Alex,
you will get a better view, dollar for dollar, from a porro prism binocular rather than a roof prism. If I was looking to buy on a budget I would be looking at porro designs with BAK 4 prisms and fully multi-coated optics.

The only binocular in your list that I recognise is the Nikon Action Ex. I have tried these out a couple of times in shops and I was vary impressed with the quality of the view for what they cost. Their only drawback for me is the weight. The 8x40 is about 30 oz I think. I know you want either 8x or 10x but for a wide field of view the 7x35 Action Ex is excellent (and a bit lighter).
By the way, there is also the Nikon Action which is not waterproof like the Ex, so don't confuse the two.

Everyone on this forum seems to rate highly the Leupold Yosemite, Vortex Raptor and Eagle Optics Raven bins. All porros and all quite light and compact in comparison to the Nikons. They cost around $80-130 I think. They are hard to find in this country so I haven't tried any of them but I would really like to as they have a great reputation. From what I have read about then I think they fit in well with your "a lot for not too much" requirement.

Whether to go for 8x or 10x is a personal choice.
Myself I wouldn't go for 10x because they have less field of view and less depth of field. Also handshake shows up a lot more in 10x. I'd only consider 10x if I was going to use the bins for only seawatching or watching wildfowl on large open water where the birds are very distant. For following hyperactive warblers through the bushes 10x would be impractical.
I think 8x is about right for all types of birding. They have the right balance of mag, fov and depth of view for me. But recently I have been looking 7x bins as I would like to try them to see what the extra fov and depth of fiels are like.
The Vortex Raptors and EO Ravens come in 8.5x if you feel you need a bit more mag.

My requirements for bins are: 8x, fov minimum 390', weight max. about 25 oz

Having said all this, other peoples advice is no substitute for trying out as many bins as you can before deciding. The feel of the bins in your hand and to your eye is more important as the specs on paper. Also the feel and speed of the fucus action is important to me.
So do lots of researches on the forums here and elsewhere to see what is most liked by others and then try as many as you can before you buy and don't rush into anything. That way, hopefully, you'll end up with bins you are happy with first time around.

Good luck in your search and happy birding.
Martin.

The best binoculars that come to mind for the least money are the Leupold Yosemite 6x and 8x30 porro binoculars. These both come new for less than $100. The next are the Eagle Optics/Vortex Raptor porros in either 6.5x or 8.5x32. You can get these for around $120. I have both and think the Raven/Raptor is probably a bit better than the Yosemite. I would tend to recommend the lower magnifications. Those images are a bit brighter than the higher brothers are, but the 8x is more than usable. These will compete pretty well with much more expensive roofs.

I agree with Martin about the porro being the best binocular for the money. The Nikon Action EX is also pretty decent. You might search ebay for Leupold Cascade porros. These are a very good binocular on closeout and there may be some left in the <$150 range there.

Last edited:
I like and agree with the above suggestions.....

Eagle Optics Raven and/or Vortex Raptor
Leupold Yosemites
Nikon Action EX
Bushnell Legend porro
Leupold Cascade porro (on sale for $180 right now)

The Atlas Optics Radian is a very respectable phase coated roof prism and really the only one of its kind at that price point. I would have to give the nod to the porro prism models mentioned above, in terms of optical performance, though unless you are looking for a full-sized (42 mm) glass that is compact and reasonably lightweight.

I'm no high authority as others here are, but after some experience with much more expensive bins, got a quick look through some Vortex Raptor 8.5X and found them very easy to like, especially for the price. Hard to imagine regretting that purchase ever, though if you're like most of us here, you'll probably get something of higher quality before too long. Looking ahead, the 6.5X might be wise for now, as your next pair will probably be a higher quality 8X, and the 6.5X Raptors wouldn't then become redundant.

marty

Nikon Action Ex (7x35) I've found have better stray light control than the Yosemite (and I presume the Raptor). I do like the Yosemite but it's has a particular way of failing in the low level sunlight. I have a couple but I don't really use them for series birding. They are light and compact though.

The Nikon Action EX ATB 7x35 was a Cornell favorite too. And I really like the grip -- the prism rotation affords a very natural grip. Search the forum for my review and some other comments.

So of your list I'd go for the 7x35 or 8x40 though it's not lightweight. I think that will keep you going for some time and also push the requirements for your next bin rather higher.

To save a bit more money try CameraLandNY.com "Demos" i.e. I wonder if some of them have even been opened: the ones I've had appeared brand-new.

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-nikon.html

The 7x35 is $90 and the 8x40 is $95. Plus shipping (if you get over $100 you get free shipping).

Buy a good new field guide or a local bird finding book with the money you save ;)

I have no association with CL ... just trying to keep your costs down.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back