• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PEN E-P3 review on DP Review (1 Viewer)

should be a marvelous camera, specially if what they are claiming about the speed of AF.

also glad that Olympus has noticed that attaching the VF2 makes no room for an external flash so the new one got a hot shoe to mount the flash, although i think it will look wired something like a sky scraper over the camera. i wish they made the VF incorporated in the body like Lumix m4/3.

whatever are the drawbacks of it, i think the user will love it, because most of the users of the previous pen models are happy.

another Point IMHO i think with its price Olympus is aiming to make these mirror less cameras as a light weight alternative to the DSLR's, wonder if they will success. once again IMHO with many camera manufacturer introducing new mirror less models, the question is when will Nikon and Canon get to this market.

Last edited:
Ammadoux, what are your thoughts on the 4/3rd offerings from the manufacturers?

To me they seem a perfect solution to many of the weight problems associated with DSLR.

I didn’t like the Pen 1&2, or the NEX. I do like the Panasonic.

I’ve got issues with certain features on most models, the whole marketing strategy seems confusing, and all the manufacturers are trying to make ever-smaller cameras with interchangeable lenses. The consumers who they’re targeting are quite happy buying zoom compacts.

The range of Leica and Olympus lenses that will fit these cameras with an adapter elevate these cameras out of the point and shoot market. If the rumour is true that Nikon F mount will be on their version it should impact the dslr range.

The points that concern me

The image quality of the sensor is not much better than compact.

I find the ergonomics of the cameras awkward, pick up a Nikon D3 and you can shoot single-handed. Maybe they are just too small; my knuckles seem to be against the barrel of the lens.

Lenses, I know it’s not fair to compare with Nikon primes, but the images look soft to me, now that could be down to the sensor attributes.

These cameras are not cheap, I don’t mind that if the cost equates to the results.

This week Nikon announce, Sony have just leaked Nex 7, which looks to be more of what I had in mind for mirror-less camera should be.

Last edited:
I must admit I was expecting a sensor change on the EP-3, the menu sytem suits my way of working, which is generally to use it to set up a body for a specific use and leave it that way. I didn't miss the flash on the original Pens so this isn't going to make me change - neither is the improved focussing speed - as the latest lenses and firmware have fixed that earlier for my use. It doesn't mean that I wont like it, just that my existing Pen bodies will not be replaced just yet.

I shall stick with mirrored slrs for wildlife they are rather more waterproof - having to stop shooting in the rain is a pain. In addition the viewfinders are better, attaching the VF-2 is a bit of a pain.

To be honest the camera with the biggest impact on my Pens has been the Fuji X100 - but that is more for mainstream photography - not this forum.

For those who owned the original film Pens (not the F) - the XZ-1 is much closer to the original concept and is to be recommended (once you own a VF-2!)

J

Last edited:
Excellent thoughts J.

Being water-proof had completely slipped my mind.

Interesting that you think the Fuji is the main threat. I have high regard for the image quality of some their cameras.

And of course they have announced they are preparing to enter this sector with a new camera.

Their sensor will be bigger as well, if they keep the Nikon mount as well, it could be interesting. If they combine the X100 with inter-changable lenses that'll make a camera well worth looking at.

With the Pens 1&2, I was disappointed I expected more. Olympus have moved on with the Pen 3. Do you use Olympus DSLR's as you main stay?

I'm finding it very frustrating with all the products, I know what I want with from the camera. Each manufacturer has bits that I like but not on the same camera.

I just got back from the Galapagos using an EP-1 20mm Panasonic and 40-150 zoom. Satisfied with the results but not really a photographer. Was able to capture great memories.

The Olympus system is a compromise in my opinion compared to DSLR due to smaller sensor-BUT a good compromise. When you travel with bins and maybe a scope, I know me and a DSLR probably gets left home.

Just purchased an XZ-1 to share with Alice Marie, if interested will let you know what I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back