• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accomodation query Scilly this Autumn (1 Viewer)

Stfulmar

Hi
I'm currentlpy hoping to spend 3 weeks on scilly from 22Sept - 13 October - I'm hoping the jet stream stays with us.

Anyone know of any good quality self catering places during that time at a resonable price - I know that prices are quite high.

Cheers
Andy

Hi
I'm currentlpy hoping to spend 3 weeks on scilly from 22Sept - 13 October - I'm hoping the jet stream stays with us.

Anyone know of any good quality self catering places during that time at a resonable price - I know that prices are quite high.

Cheers
Andy

Best starting point would be the Tourist Board website: http://www.simplyscilly.co.uk/site/accommodation

Plenty of choice on offer; whether you can get the same venue for three consecutive weeks remains to be seen

To rent a self catering apartment on your own for 3 weeks will be very expensive. If you can find a place to share with other birders that will work out the best value (we pay £108 per head for a week , but this is with 5 sharing the £540 total cost) also combined with the fact that you are going earlier than the majority may make it a bit pricey! Try an ad on various forums, pager etc for 1 place and see what comes up! B&B although dear may be an option (£35 per night average) but again you are looking at a single room and may not be easy to source?

Good luck

Neil

You might find the Yellow Pages website more helpful than the Tourist Board if price is your main consideration. A lot of the cheapest places aren't Tourist Board registered, the reason being that the Tourist Board has a stringent set of minimum standards. Certainly this has always worked for me, but admittedly that's in towns; there may not be any cheap filthy dives to find in Scilly!

I would have thought there were plenty of places on scilly these days, I think most birders have had enough of the sky high prices and don't bother. I loved it when I used to go but now I find it cheaper to go abroad, a shame but they got greedy.

Still plenty of birders Keith. We see the same faces every year and book the same accomodation. Self catering and guest houses usually have their regulars that book year after year. As NSH states, it is expensive, but if you go as a group it keeps costs down. We pay £100 for 7 of us sharing in October.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back