• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HGL's and ED Glass Elements... (1 Viewer)

Donzo98

I recently came across the following Ebay listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31711&item=3853911318&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It states that the new HGL's only have ED glass in the front element... in contrast to the older versions which supposedly have more than that. All the previous posts on this forum say there were no optical changes. This seller is usually very knowledgeable, but this flies in the face of what I previously thought.

Anyone know for sure??

Don

Don,

An example of advertising hyperbole run amok. ED glass is never used in every element as this ad claims. There are only a few places in any design where ED glass is appropriate. Trying to use it elsewhere wouldn't improve anything. It would be the wrong type of glass and wouldn't work at all. I believe the only Nikon binoculars that use any type of low dispersion glass (Nikon calls it SP) in their objectives are the 7X50 Prostar and 10X70 Astroluxe.

Henry

Last edited:
Greetings!

I have personally evaluated the new HGL's and compared them to the older HG's.
I will echo the commonly held view that the optics did NOT change, I could see absolutely NO difference between the older and newer optics.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back