• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor Tunisia (1 Viewer)

Thanks to Andy for bringing the case to my attention.
To me this is no doubt an adult Wahlberg's Eagle, definitely not Booted, nor Lesser Spot.
The rather narrow wings with parallel edges, the relatively long "fingers" and square wing-tip, the longish and narrow tail and the long legs (with yellow toes reaching almost to the tips of the undertail coverts) are key features in a typical Wahlberg's silhouette. The very dark and uniform body plumage nicely fits dark individuals of this species, as do the rather plain-looking remiges and rectrices, save for a wider dark subterminal band, also typical.
A Golden would probably show golden sides to neck and the shape of the wings is too rectangular and wing-tip too square, underwing pattern also not fitting any plumage of Golden. Silhouette/structure alone differs enough to exclude both Booted and Les Spot and it is easy to find several distinctive plumage features to add.
Wahlberg's Eagle is a highly variable species with anything from nearly white to black birds, uniformly brown being the most common. The shape is diagnostic, once familiar with the species, and the underwing remiges tend to look very uniform, lacking distinct markings. Most birds, including this, show a lighter area at the base of the outer primaries, but this may be rather indistinct.
It could well be that Wahlberg's have been overlooked in the past as it is difficult to believe that they would suddenly have become so much more common in N Africa, with several records now pending since the first was seen in Egypt only a few years ago. Where will the next one turn up?

Last edited:
Thanks all, I was not aware of recent WP record (too much time spent in Asia, birding...), that is a real new information for me.

Good shout Andy, and thank you Mr. Forsman and everyone else who contributed to this identification. A great record, combined with a capture of good images.

Good shout Andy, and thank you Mr. Forsman and everyone else who contributed to this identification. A great record, combined with a capture of good images.

If this bird had been sub-Saharan and / or holding it's tail closed in the typical fashion, I think we'd have got it far more quickly.

I also got the link for an opinion.

Well, many species have been mentioned, as Golden (never even close) or Booted, that is in fact the very hard one to tell apart (but normally Botted is hardly so uniformly deep and pure black, even the darkest plumages usually show some variegated brownish tinge somewhere on underbody).

In addition, however, under field condition, chiefly without such great photos showing so well the fully feathered tarsi, the MAIN pitfall would be a dark morph Long-legged Buzzard.

In fact, the very pale secondaries with dark trailing edge, as well the pale primaries window, the very pale based tail (silvery ) with the dark (sub) terminal band, the long strong protruding head and heavy bill, the wing shape etc all worringly looks similar to a dark morph Buteo rufinus rufinus in the field (not in such good photos).

OF COURSE, the P5 (6th primary) is longer (not so obviously in the field though) as all fingered primaries are narrower and longer...BUT when gliding and in MANY field condition is not easy to tell apart the real wing-formula and the primaires length.

ALSO, and rather more importantly, the tail looks pretty short in Wahlberg's as in Booted, while is much longer in Golden Eagle and in Long-legged Buzzard.
And probaly, this is the best filed jizz ID point to get alarmed when watching a distant gliding or soaring dark bird, with such pale silvery remiges and tail with dark traikling edge and subterminal band to both, and showing a deep black plumage.

I actually think that some records may went unoticed if at distance for that reason.

Dick of course reported all the main pro Wahlberg's Eagle!

What a great record...if I think I spent 10 years raptor watching migration at Pantelleria in Spring, where all raptors leaving Cap Bon arrive after leaving Tunisia !!

Noooooo, what I lost.... (my research project there ended a few years agò).

Cheers

Andrea Corso

Last edited:
I also got the link for an opinion.

Well, it has been mentioned many species as Golden (never even close) or Booted, in fact the very hard one to tell apart (but normally Botted is never so deep and pure blacvk, even the darkest plumages).

In the field, chiefly without such great photos showing so well the fully feathered tarsi and the long oblung oval nostril, the MAIN pitfall wpould be a dark morph Long-legged Buzzard.

In fact, the very pale secondaries with dark trailing edge, as well the pale primaries window, the very pale based tail (silvery ) with the dark (sub) terminal band m the lkong strong protruding head and heavy bill, the wing shape etc all worringly looks similar to a dark morph Buteo rufinus rufinus in the field (not in such good photos).

OF COURSE, the P5 (6th primary) is longer (not so obviously in the field though) as all fingered primaries are narrower and longer...BUT when gliding and in MANY field condition is not easy to tell apart the real wing-formula and the primaires length.

ALSO, and rather more importantly, the tail looks pretty short in Wahlberg's as in Booted, while is much longer in Golden Eagle and in Long-legged Buzzard.
And probaly, this is thebest filed jizz ID point to get alarmed when watching a distant gliding or soaring dark bird, with such pale silvery remiges and tail with dark traikling edge and subterminal band to both, and showing a deep black plumage.

I actually think that some records may went unoticed if at distance for that reason.

Dick of course reported all the main pro Wahlberg's Eagle!

What a great record...if I think I spent 10 years raptoring watching migration at Pantelleria in Spring, where all raptors leaving Cap Bon arrive after leaving Tunisia !!

Noooooo, what I lost.... (my research project there ended afew years agò).

Cheers

Andrea Corso

"the tail looks pretty short in Wahlberg's"

I'm sorry to disagree. It looks very long, and it is longer than in rufinus.

Of course Valery...
Iit is a typo and in my bad enbglish, as I am quickly writing from the Museum pf Zoology in Roma with limited time ( I am only a guest here at the moment, without my computer)...

Read as this "ALSO, and rather more importantly, the tail looks pretty longer in Wahlberg's as is not in Booted, while is much longer in Golden Eagle (than Booted) and in Long-legged Buzzard (than Booted). "

I meant in fact that the tail is longer in Wahlberg's than in Booted, as well as in the other 2 species is longer !!

and I reported this as a alarm bell for Booted in the field.

Regarding Long-legged, tail is very comparable, usually only a bit longer in WE the ratio of tip of UTC with tail tip, but normally hard to tell them apart as Long-legged have a rather long tail, hard to tell that is shorter (if ever)....

So, it was mostly to report compared with Booted

Last edited:
A big thank for all of you for the identification.

I saw it during the spring migration 2018 at El Haouaria (Cap Bon, North est of Tunisia)

Thank you again :)

Dear Dick Forsman and Andrea Corso,

I want to ask you if I can use your comments for an article about the Wahlberg's Eagle on Dutch Birding journal?

Thank you in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back