• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

King Penguin in Ushuaia (1 Viewer)

BrightonBirder

A King Penguin has been at Estancia Harberton, 80 km, outside of Ushuaia for about the last month.

It was not seen Dec. 11 but may be off on a feeding trip.

Should the bird return it would be the easiest King in the world to see.

MR

The birds near Punta Arenas are rumoured to be accessible by a road that runs along Useful Bay. I have heard of as many of 97 birds there. Otherwise it is the Falklands or by boat to places such as South Georgia or Kerguelen.

Hi,

old post but on November 2018 two king penguins were present in Isla Martillo, Beagle Channel (Argentina) (check eBird for more details).

The island is reachable from Ushuaia in any touristic ship that visits Isla Martillo (not all of them go so far).

Another option is to visit Isla Martillo from Estancia Harberton (reachable both by ship and by road) and get to the island in a rubber boat in an organized visit.

The disembarkment on the island do not provide any additional possibilities to watch new species of birds but provide the opportunity to get closer views of them.

Anyway, you get very good views from the touristic ships so, I,M.H.O. it is not worth to spend the time in the island but to use it for looking for addional species in other places.

Another possibility is to cross the border to Chile and visit Bahia Inutil, where you will find many of them (check eBird for availability throughout the year). The only problem is that you will spend some time in the border (customs) and that if your car is rented you should ask the company permission to leave Argentina and get into Chile.

If you ned any additional detail, do not hesitate to send me a P.M.

Regards,

Last edited:
When I was in Ushuaia three years ago I got the impression that there were a few King Penguins being seen quite regularly from the tourist boats that go up the Beagle Channel. We certainly saw a couple in with a big group of Gentoos.

A Blackish Cinclodes came onboard the boat and started pecking about in the artificial turf on the deck.

Steve

In our case, both Blackish Cinclodes and Snowy Sheatbills came onboard when we approached the appropriate islands in the Beagle Channel.

Very unnatural behavior. I guess that people fed them in the past.

When I was in Ushuaia three years ago I got the impression that there were a few King Penguins being seen quite regularly from the tourist boats that go up the Beagle Channel. We certainly saw a couple in with a big group of Gentoos.

A Blackish Cinclodes came onboard the boat and started pecking about in the artificial turf on the deck.

Steve

The Blackish Cinclodes are attracted to fresh water is what I’ve been told by the boat operators.

Additionally a Chinstrap Penguin was reported yesterday from Isla Martillo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back