• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

whimbrel or curlew (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
the attached pictures were taken in the Shetland islands in june of last year
i must admit that i'm totally hopeless in trying to disentangle curlew from whimbrel unless they were standing next to one another, especially since they should be equally numerous in that part of the world

location for the pix :

(1) near Brae in the north-west corner of the mainland
(2) North Roe, again the north-western tip of the mainland
(3) near Muness Castle on Yell
(4) near Skaw on Unst

Attachments

• Img_9976.jpg
    Img_9976.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Img_0043.jpg
    Img_0043.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Img_0142.jpg
    Img_0142.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Img_0323.jpg
    Img_0323.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 162
The first three are Curlews. I get more of a Whimbrel feel on the last one, but the head-markings aren't very clear cut.

Peter

?mediterranean gull, Mumbles

i'm pretty sure the attached are mediterranean gulls, but would like some confirmation
pictures taken earlier today at Bracelet Bay near the Mumbles, Swansea

Attachments

• Img_6087.jpg
    Img_6087.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6088.JPG
    IMG_6088.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 20
thank you
not sure if it will help me next time i see a curlew/whimbrel but i'll try and persevere

Well, with vocal birds it's a lot easier, their calls are VERY different, Curlews have their mournful whistle, while Whimbrels sound more like a hysterically giggling teenage girl.

Peter

thank you
not sure if it will help me next time i see a curlew/whimbrel but i'll try and persevere

Maybe not easy 100% of the time but ...

Curlew much larger, Whimbrel smaller (size of Oystercatcher)
Curlew chunkier, Whimbrel slimmer
Curlew shaggier, Whimbrel more compact and neat
Curlew beefier head and neck, smaller eye relative to Whimbrel.
Curlew more variegated plumage (white flecking, paler underneath), Whimbrel darker, richer brown overall
Curlew bill can be short, but more uniform curve, Whimbrel bill shorter, but shows a more decurved tip after the straighter first section.

Well, with vocal birds it's a lot easier, their calls are VERY different, Curlews have their mournful whistle, while Whimbrels sound more like a hysterically giggling teenage girl.

Peter

true, i've heard curlews make that sound, but usually when they're feeding they're keeping stum

Maybe not easy 100% of the time but ...

Curlew much larger, Whimbrel smaller (size of Oystercatcher)
Curlew chunkier, Whimbrel slimmer
Curlew shaggier, Whimbrel more compact and neat
Curlew beefier head and neck, smaller eye relative to Whimbrel.
Curlew more variegated plumage (white flecking, paler underneath), Whimbrel darker, richer brown overall
Curlew bill can be short, but more uniform curve, Whimbrel bill shorter, but shows a more decurved tip after the straighter first section.

as i may have said at an earlier occasion, it's a lot to take in, and it probably will take time for the full jizz to sink in - but i'll keep plugging away at it !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back