• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sanya River Orange-coloured Starling (1 Viewer)

Andyasher

Hello All,

On Thursday 24 June I spotted a starling in the mangroves on the Sanya River. The difference is that it was completely orange!
Attached is an artist's impression of the bird. I got my wife to alter a Chestnut Tailed Starling to closer represent the bird as I saw it:)
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
Are we looking at a subspecies here?
Maybe something new?

Attachments

• SanYa River Bird.jpg
    SanYa River Bird.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Interesting "artist's impression"! I was thinking - why didn't he post the picture earlier, then I read more carefully ;)

I don't know if either of these questions will help or not, but maybe to elicit some more ideas....

What were the features that specifically made you think starling? (sometimes when I put a label on a bird, I lose a few of the distinctive points - do you remember any specifics?)

Were you in a place close enough to civilization where there could have been an escaped cage bird? (The picture made me think of south American birds possibly....)

Hi Jeff:)
Thanks for the advice. It could have been a Scarlet Minivet: do you know if there is a subspecies that is entirely orange, with no black upper parts whatsoever?
Have fun birding:)
Andrew

Hi Gretchen:)
I remember that it was very starling-like, from the shape of the body and the way that it moved through the bushes. And the eye was so typical of a starling/myna too
I'll look into South American birds just to be sure:)
Andrew

This may seem an initially strange suggestion, but could it have been a White-shouldered Starling? Although these are usually grey and white, a small number are brightly-coloured - usually orange, sometimes pink. These can be surprisingly bright

An orange bird from Taiwan:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=111197

And a pink bird in Hong Kong.
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=8130&extra=page=2
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=8342&extra=page=2

I don't know what causes this. It seems to be commoner in males, especially earlier in the spring.

I don't know how common this species is in Sanya, but thought it might be throwing in for consideration.

Last edited:
I frequently see cage birds that are artificially coloured starlings, mynas, laughingthrushes etc, often bright red, yellow or orange. Perhaps your bird is such an escapee?

I have debated with other birders here in Hong Kong about the origins of our coloured White-shouldered Starlings. One suggestion is that they may be artificially coloured. What is curious is that it virtually never occurs in other species here (the only case I know of was an orange Red-billed Starling last winter) and I have never seen a coloured captive bird (of any species) - I was not aware that this was common practice.

As I mentioned, most coloured birds here seem to occur in early spring, shortly after they have arrived in Hong Kong (presumably from south-east Asia).

Dalat, do you ever see coloured White-shouldered Starlings? And do you know whether such birds would be released (e.g. Buddhist release) and re-enter the wild population?

Dalat, do you ever see coloured White-shouldered Starlings? And do you know whether such birds would be released (e.g. Buddhist release) and re-enter the wild population?

Hi, no, I do not have any specific observation about white shouldered starlings, I just wanted to mention the general phenomena of dyed birds as a possibility to explain that orange starling...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back