• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scilly in October (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

I am thinking of going to Scilly for 5 days starting the 16th October.
Do people on this forum think it is worth the £400+ it will cost me considering last year did not seem so good.
Is this a good time to travel to Scilly and does anyone have any tips for a first time, 18 year old Scilly doer.

Many Thanks,
Oliver

Do people on this forum think it is worth the £400+ it will cost me considering last year did not seem so good.
Is this a good time to travel to Scilly and does anyone have any tips for a first time, 18 year old Scilly doer.

Many Thanks,
Oliver

Go for it Oliver, lovely place and apparently not so many birders these days. Sure to be some good things around and this could be a big year for hurricanes across the pond so maybe a few N. American birds on Scilly :t: If i had to offer a tip, enjoy yourself and try not to see everywhere on the islands in 5 days, save somewhere for next time.

Many Thanks,
Oliver

Go for definate!! Why is it costing so much? Why not go with a few others, share the cost of accomodation and eat cheap at the Scillonian club! Its superb on the islands, you wont be dissappointed. Dont go with the idea that it will be wall to wall rarities, cos it often isn't! As you say, last year wasnt brilliant, but that was an exception. Keep an eye on the Scillies website, hope you have a great time.

Many Thanks,
Oliver

Its a great experience and a wonderful place to find your own birds. Everyone says its expensive if you compare going birding abroad for example, but a great way to build your British List too with the chance of some real goodies turning up.
I am sure it will still get the good birds, but if there are far fewer birders there then they may not be so easily found.
I find its great to experience somewhere personally too, so that when you read reports of rarities down Lower Moors or up the Garrison you can picture them!
Another tip is to try the smaller islands - St Martins is well worth an explore and you may not bump into many other birders. I found it a beautiful place.

Finally, keep your eyes peeled for common birds back home that may be scarce on there - I was fortunate enough to find a Jay in Abbey Gardens Tresco a few years ago and it caused a huge twitch! I think it was only the third ever! I had to complete a full report for Will Wagstaff and really didnt understand the magnitude of it at the time..........go get them a Magpie!

I have booked it, the main cost for me is the train from London. £124 return as I needed a cabin as I'm a terrible sleeper and don't want to be too tired to enjoy it.
I'm spending about £100 on four nights accomodation and about £90 on the ferry to get there.
I expect it will cost at least another £100 for food and boat trips.
I am really looking forward to it.
Thank you for all the advice.

When you arrive on Scilly get yourself one of the island maps from the Tourist Information Board, they're about 50p I think and it shows pretty much all the paths and roads that can be used, with exception of the seasonal permitted paths set aside for October birders.

You certainly won't see all of the islands in 5 days, I've been going for 25 years and I'm still finding nooks and crannies I've never been to.

There are less birders going each year, one reason for this is due to the fact it can be easily twitched when news breaks and one can be on the islands sometimes the same day, still there's no substitute for being there when a major bird is found there is a 'run' on. Arriving red faced, out of breath, sweating buckets and near collapse with a sloppy ear to ear grin on your face because that you just nailed the bird. I still pick up pace for birds I've seen dozens of times, its all part of experience and fun.

If you don't have a pager or form of instant bird news being away from other birders may be a problem as others will always pass on important bird news, 2way radios though can be bought at the birdlog in the Scillonian Club for about £40.

There have been many threads on Scilly and that its had its day, especially after last October. Although last October was especially quiet on Scilly it still had more half decent birds than probably the rest of the whole of southern England put together at the time, Brown Shrike excluded. There have been very quiet years on the islands, the second half of October 1988, 1992 and 1994 were quiet and I remember the same conversations then, Scillies has had it but then came along 1999 and blew everyone away. Its just one of those places you just never right off.

Enjoy the islands as much as the birds, hope you don't get i'll on the Sicklonian and have fun.

Looking forward to the 9th Oct. Another trip to the promised land. It would be nice to get a few good birds this year but at the the end of the day a week on Scilly is always good.
Plus a pint or three of Rattler! :t: B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back