• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus 590UZ (1 Viewer)

Stephanie M

Hi. I use an olympus SP-590UZ with autofocus. However my pictures keep comming out very badly. The focus seems to change and the item I wish to photograph moves out of focus as can be seen from enclosed pictures. Anybody got any tips or ideas.
Stephie
Sorry about the pictures,files wont upload

Last edited:
The problem with the pictures might be that they are too large: try to reduce the number of pixels to about 850 on the longest side.

Niels

Looks like the camera is focusing on the background rather than the bird. Does your camera have a "spot focusing" option (not sure if that is the right term)? If so, turn it on if it is off. On my FZ18, there's an option for this, and brackets appear in the middle of the view screen that show the small area that the camera will try to focus on. If you can fix that on the bird, then you will (hopefully) be all right.

hope this helps,
Jim

Looks like the camera is focusing on the background rather than the bird. Does your camera have a "spot focusing" option (not sure if that is the right term)? If so, turn it on if it is off. On my FZ18, there's an option for this, and brackets appear in the middle of the view screen that show the small area that the camera will try to focus on. If you can fix that on the bird, then you will (hopefully) be all right.

hope this helps,
Jim

Thanks for your reply.
What happens is this. There is a small oblong area in the middle of the screen when I press the button and I believe the camera concentrates the auto focus on whatever is in this area. The problem arises when I then press the button to take the shot and the oblong area moves off centre and focuses on something else. Also I can line up a shot like I did with a rather close up Roe Deer, but when I shoot the camera focuses on a twig or a leaf between myself and the animal.

Hi Stephie. I have downloaded the manual for your camera and it should be possible to change the focusing method to 'SPOT' which is probably the best option for bird photography. In the menu choose 'AF Mode' and see which option is selected at the moment. It looks as if 'iESP' is the default position and, if this is so, change it to 'SPOT'.

If you do this you should be able to locate the target on the bird (or whatever else you want to be in focus) and half press the shutter. Keep you finger in that position, not releasing it again, and recompose the shot how you wish. You then press the shutter button the rest of the way down to take the shot.

It sounds to me as if iESP is selected and the camera is choosing what to focus on, rather than you.

I hope this helps.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back