• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG'S for long distance viewing (1 Viewer)

mcdcwain

At present I have a pair of Bushnell 8X42 bird series binoculars (£129) I use these on safari mainly to find the big cats. The problem I have is that animals in the far distance (up to 1 mile) cannot be identified with these binoculars, as there is not enough detail to identify the species. One problem could be sun haze during mid-day.

WE have the Nikon 10x42 HG's on offer at £500. Would these solve my problem? Would they give me the detail needed to identify species at such a long distance?

I find the Bushnell's bright and clear most of the time, therefore I Wouldn't like to waste my money if the difference is slight. I am relying on your experience, as it would be difficult for me to test for these conditions.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

In normal daylight, my Nikon HG 8x32 resolve detail almost as well as my sharpest binoculars, my Pentax SP 10x50. Based on this, I would guess that the Nikon HG 10x42 would have excellent detail resolution, if the optical quality increases logically with both the increase in power (from 8x to 10x) and the increase in objective lens size (from 32mm to 42mm). The only way to know for certain, however, would be for you to try a pair in person and see if it meets your needs... I personally have tested the Nikon HG 8x42 on several occasions but I have never had the opportunity to try the 10x42 model.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Hi Mike,

You will find, elsewhere on this forum, my feelings about the Nikon 8x32 HGs (superb, sharp, wide, flat field and on and on and...). So I could recommend them to you; but I have just taken advantage of Warehouse Express's huge discount on Nikon HGs to buy a pair of 10x32s too (£399). They are every bit as good as the 8x32s except they have an even bigger apparent fov (65 degrees!). A quick test shows them to have even greater sharpness across the field and, IMHO, I think they will meet your safari needs perfectly.

I have also tried the 10x42 HGs, but found their weight and narrower fov a disadvantage.

But as ever, try before you buy.

NB W'Ex have already sold out of their discounted 8x32s and "are awaiting further deliveries".

Chris

Last edited:
Would I notice a difference between the cheap Bushnell's and a high-end pair of binoculars viewing an animal up to 1 mile away, with regards detail.

When I view an animal at such a long distance, they sometimes end up being no more that a log or other object. This means we have to drive a lot closer to verify, wasting time. I am wondering if high-end binoculars will overcome this problem. I am aware they will gather more light in low light situations. But most of my viewing will be done in bright light.

Although I will be using the binos for close-up viewing, my maid reason for considering the upgrade is for long distance spotting.

Regards

Mike

Last edited:
mcdcwain said:
At present I have a pair of Bushnell 8X42 bird series binoculars (£129) I use these on safari mainly to find the big cats. The problem I have is that animals in the far distance (up to 1 mile) cannot be identified with these binoculars, as there is not enough detail to identify the species. One problem could be sun haze during mid-day.

WE have the Nikon 10x42 HG's on offer at £500. Would these solve my problem? Would they give me the detail needed to identify species at such a long distance?

Mike,

The 10x42HG's are great, but if you have to view from that far away, I would suggest even higher magnification. If it has to be a binocular, you could try Canon's 12x or 15x image-stabilized models. The other option could be a small spotting scope (20x50 or something) with a light monopod (or a tripod). I am sure that these would easily out-resolve even the best 10x42s. :t:

Ilkka

The field of view might be a problem with a scope & Canon IS binoculars, when scanning a wide area.

I will probably stick with the cheap bushnells or then again I might look at the Canon x12 IS binos

Thanks for your advice

Mike

Last edited:
What about something like the Leica Duovid? Scan at 8x with a decent fov and move in to 12x for extra detail. Pricey but.....

Any thought on the 10-22 x50 action zoom?

I could scan at x10 then zoom in for detail, using a beanbag for support. Would you say this would be my best option?

Mike

I would highly recommend the Canon IS models. The 15x50 is the best of them, but unfortunately there is quite a bit of sample to sample variation due to the complexity of the opto-electronic system.

Read my ALULA test report for further details, but in a nutshell, you can expect to identify objects at roughly twice the distance with the 15x50 IS when compared with highest quality 8x binoculars. Since the Canon is at its best when you view relatively stationary objects (animals rather than birds flying swiftly by), it would probably suit your safari conditions pretty well.

If you do not wish to go avant-garde, the HG is certainly about as good as 10x binoculars get. Another, but very pricey, option not mentioned yet is the Leica Duovid 10-15x50. This is a very fine glass, and the 15x is a decided advantage over 10 or even 12 power. No matter which binocular you end up choosing, get a lightweight monopod for it. Whether you support it on ground or a car floor or whatnot, it will significantly enhance your ability to detect the animals. Same hold for the Canon IS system. Typically, you begin to see things you did not know were there when you switch on the IS.

Kimmo

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I don't think I need the best quality binos for what I need. I will look at the Nikon Action 10-22 x50 zoom. As I will be scanning from a vehicle. I will be able to use a beanbag once Ihave seen something interesting & zoom in for further identification. They are only £99 from WE down from £219. As I won't be needing them for critical viewing the more expensive binos might be an over-kill.

Thanks

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back