• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Russian Foton Binoculars opinion (1 Viewer)

Hey guys just wanted to ask your opinion about Foton binoculars from Russia. I'm relatively new in birding and have only pair of Leitz to compare but this Fotons look pretty good to me. What you think?

Attachments

• 6707338.jpg
    6707338.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 330
Russia produces some superb optics, few of which are well known here.
The military BPO 7x30 for instance has a deserved reputation for excellence (see PP 156-158 of Dr Seegers monograph on Military Binoculars), which of course has been abused in the post USSR period by cheap knockoffs. So the glass may be superb or it may be marginal, you have to see for yourself rather than just buy on faith.
Foton is a well known brand, so your odds are better, plus it seems you are happy with them, so enjoy them.

Actually I got this pair absolutely for free from my uncle. As soon as he found out about my new hobby he brought me this pair. Turned out that back in 90's he use to bring optics from Russia and still have small left over stock of 5x25 7x35 10x40 Just amazing how having big family can work to your advantage sometimes lol. I tried only 7x35 but holidays are coming so hopefully I can get my hands on other magnifications as well :)

Visually look more like Zeiss Notarem or Swift Trilyte in my opinion. I think Fotons were the only roof prism binoculars made in former USSR. I made little research looks like they were produced in Kazan at KOMZ plant. I checked there's website but found no Fotons. Maybe they discontinued this line ...

bornintheussr,
We have tested the Foton 7x35 and 10x40 in comparison with some other roof prism binoculars and for its price especially the 7x35 performs very well. If I can find the test data (it is quite a while ago) I will let you know, but what I remember is a very good handling comfort and a slightly yellow color preference.
Gijs

In addition to my post 7, I took the 7x35 and the 10x40 and compared them quickly by eye: the 10x40 has a strong yellow color reproduction, whereas the 7x35 does not. The Russian coating facilities at the time of the Foton production was not up to the present standards, since the 7x35 comes to a light transmission of about 70% at the optimum sensitivity of the eye by daylight (550nm). This is much better in the present new binoculars. However, as I wrote in post 7, handling comfort is very pleasant of the Fotons and feels very much like the old Leitz Trinovids or the Zeiss 10x40 Classic. Foton may have been inspired by these models for their Foton production.
Gijs

Hello BornintheUSSR,

I have one. It is probably outclassed by even the mid-priced modern binoculars, as it lacks phase coating. However, it gives a pleasant view and was worth the price of $US125, which I paid about ten years, ago. I suspect that the current Chinese 7x36 glasses are noticeably better. I kept the rubber eye cups folded down, and they have now come apart at the fold. As far as I know, they are no longer imported. Some years, ago, Chartwell99 pointed out that the 7x35 was the best of the three Fotons.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
I have the three Fotons since new.
The one I often use is the 5x25, which has extremely high central resolution.
The actual aperture is 30mm, which may help edge illumination? although the exit pupil is 5mm.

The small crescent Venus looks beautiful and perfect in the 5x25.
The field is about 12 deg or a bit more.

The only problem, which has prevented my using all three more is that they have a strange smell and still have after about 14 years. Leather or glue??

I am not a dedicated birdwatcher so cannot comment, but if you can get 5x25s grab them.
Maybe the long focal length of the objectives help with the 5x25.

I have the three Fotons since new.

The only problem, which has prevented my using all three more is that they have a strange smell and still have after about 14 years. Leather or glue??

I think the smell is from the leather case and whatever chemical was used to tan the leather, and you are correct - it is powerful and refuses to dissipate. Still, despite all the technical limitations, all three models offer surprisingly pleasant views, with the 7 x 35 still my favorite.

This past couple of days I tested all 3 magnifications, 7x35 really shines.
Will give my wife 5x25 for her opera trips. Not sure about 10x40 as I'm not big fax of 10x in general.

My uncle said he's ready to let the rest of the stock go, maybe I will list it for sale later this week in case if anybody wants this ruskies Fotons.

Just caught up with this thread so sorry if a bit late with comments. I've had a pair of 7x35 Foton for over 21 years cost £65 uk back then,used as main bins for years when long hill walks were needed for surveys.Looks a bit like a Zeiss but nowhere like the performance.I actually wish I could get an updated bin similar as they were so comfy to use but relegated to the window sill for garden birding now and I'm using Opticrons.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back