• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta, Praktica (1 Viewer)

Pricing is right at the $1,000 range. I do not know of a relationship with Swaro, but they do contract manufacturing for at least one of the big three.

ranburr

ranburr said:
Pricing is right at the $1,000 range. I do not know of a relationship with Swaro, but they do contract manufacturing for at least one of the big three.

Very interesting, have any copies of the contracts we can review?

Bill Atwood said:
Very interesting, have any copies of the contracts we can review?

Not quite sure what that means. But I was told by the Meopta rep that they do contract manufacturing for Zeiss. Specifically, spotting scopes.

ranburr

Binocular

Hallo,

I have no idea how is the difference between the brands.
Jenoptik ( maybe splittet company from former Carl Zeiss Jena ) give 30 years guarranty. No idea how much guarranty the other companies give.

I have no idea how is the price difference between shops in Germany and Britain or North America.
Here some examples

http://www.geizkragen.de/preisvergleich/foto-und-co/fernglaeser/zeiss/
http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/287240.html

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/ProductCategory/4932F256856-288034.html

Best regards
Dieter

Praktica

albatross02 said:
Hallo,

who has expirience with binoculars from Meopta and Praktika ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter

As regards Praktica models the ones i had bought as a starter some time ago were DDR German made , single coated on lenses , lowish eye relief and overall considering the minimum price point i think quite good
The compacts i have are 10 x 30 reverse porro and provided the light is ok they give a pleasant useable enough image for low cost
I also own a 10 x 50m porro pair bought on ebay out of interest which are obviously better in low light and again not half bad for £10

Subsequently though as i have become more involved with higher quality optics (something that seems to happen to most of us to a certain degree) i have been able to compare these bins to the various well known established makes
I now realise that a number of these more costly branded makes/models give sharper/brighter viewing and possess some important attributes that i never missed when initially bird/nature watching (it is indeed a time of innocence when first entering the world of optics and a valuable learning opportunity)

Ultimately based on cost most Praktica's are fine as a spare quickfire pair and they can be purchased in varying sizes etc on ebay and such sites

Just dont expect them to do the same job as the high end Nikon's Swarovski's Zeiss Leica et al

Regards
Richard

I'd never heard of Meopta binoculars from the Czech Republic until I came across their stand at the British Birdfair at the weekend. Unfortunately, they were in the middle of a marquee so I couldn't look over a long distance. They look very much like the Swarovski SLC's even down to the focussing wheel. The sales rep assured me there was no link between the companies, pointing out that Meopta is in fact an older company. Their Meostar B1 range includes 7x42, 8x42, 10x42, 7x50, 10x50 and 8x56. RRP ranging from £499 to £629.

It’s a pity I couldn't try them outdoors and compare them to the other top marques, but based on the limited testing I did I would stick my neck out suggest they are of that quality.

Have a look at their website:
http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=158&lang=en

Meopta binoculars

In my opinion these are outstanding bins for the price. I bought a pair at the bird fair and was apparently the first UK owner of the new 7 x 42 model. They had a big outside deck to view from over Rutland Water (at the back of the marquee) and I could not believe the brightness and clarity for the price. I paid 470 GB pounds for my pair which were very similar in performance to bins from Swarovski and Zeiss costing a lot more (I have had other Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski equipment so am familiar with these). Meopta have been making bins and scopes for many years and I predict that they will sell loads of these bins in the UK, as they really are outstanding. I was able to compare with Zeiss and Swarovski of the same specification at the bird fair and the Meopta bins compared very well. The close focus of about 2.5 metres was better that the Swarovski. There are rumours that Meopta actually make lenses for Swarovski and other major bins maufacturers and considering the quality of the glass I would not be surprised. If you're after a bargain pair of the highest quality bins give give these a try. I wouldn't be surprised if they put the price up soon as they represent amazing value for money. Some older birders may remember in the 1980s you could buy Carl Zeiss Jena binoculars from East Germany for bargain prices in the UK - I think Meopta now falls into the same category. Buy while you can!

A very impressed Meopta user

Brin Best

solentbirder said:
These do look good. Is there any information about where they're made ?
Cheers
John

Hi John,
Post #12 answers your question.

I think Meopta have an excellent product, but it doesn't get much if any publicity in the birding press and they are hard to get hold of.

Rich.

Richard Scott said:
Hi John,
Post #12 answers your question.

I think Meopta have an excellent product, but it doesn't get much if any publicity in the birding press and they are hard to get hold of.

Rich.

As I recall, the Meopta bins at the Birdfair were very well built, but the focussing was a little 'slow and soft' for my taste.

Trealaw Boy,

You said the focuser was "slow and soft." What did you mean by the focuser being "soft"? The tension was too loose?

Slow I understand, slow I actually like. The Nikon LXs are too fast for me, makes it difficult to accommodate the focus with presbyopia, I found myself overshooting and fiddling with it, and could not get it to "snap to" easily. I tried five samples (two 8x32 LXs, two 10x42 LXs, and one 8x42 LX), and the tension in each one was different from the other, from greased pig loose to tight and precise. Lots of sample variation in my experience.

I also found the barrel distortion objectionble on the full sized models, particularly the 8x42 LX. But what I did like A LOT was their tack sharp images (particularly the full sized models), extreme contrast, and super saturated color. They gave "hyperreal" ED-like views except without the ED control of CA.

Have you or anyone else on this forum compared the Meopta Meostar with the LX/HG?

The LX is my "gold standard" for comparing optical quality except for barrel distortion. The LXs could use some pincushioning to counteract the rolling ball effect creating while panning.

So my questions are, how does the Meopta Meostar compare to the LX in:'
Contrast?
Color saturation?
Sharpness (on-axis)?
Sharpness (off-axis)?
Focusers
ER (with glasses/sunglasses)

Thanks!
Brock

Last edited:
Have you or anyone else on this forum compared the Meopta Meostar with the LX/HG?

The LX is my "gold standard" for comparing optical quality except for barrel distortion. The LXs could use some pincushioning to counteract the rolling ball effect creating while panning.

Contrast?
Color saturation?
Sharpness (on-axis)?
Sharpness (off-axis)?
Focusers

Thanks!
Brock

I am about to compare the two. I have older model LX/Venturer in 8x42 and plan on looking at the Meostar 8x42, 10x42 and 10x50 today. I do not notice the effect that you mentioned in the LXs so I do not know how helpful I am going to be in that regard when comparing the two. I did look at the 8x42s a few weeks back in comparison to the 7x42 Swaro SLCs, Zeiss Conquest 8x40 ABKs and a few other models. I thought they compared very favorably in terms of brightness, field of view, contrast and color representation especially with the SLCs. The only aspect I noted more of was edge distortion. Hopefully I will have more to comment on shortly.

Contrast?
Color saturation?
Sharpness (on-axis)?
Sharpness (off-axis)?
Focusers

Thanks!
Brock

I spent a good deal of time this afternoon at the local Cabelas comparing the three Meopta Meostar configurations as well as the Cabelas Eurobin, a rebadged Meopta 10x42. Here are my impressions:

8x42 - The first thing that caught my attention when looking through this bin was the exceptionally wide field of view. At 411 feet it is a few feet wider than even the Zeiss FL. The image appeared to be as bright as the Nikons and my Leica Trinovids but a hair less bright than the Zeiss FLs. Based on size and image quality this was probably my favorite of the three configurations.

10x42 Meostar and 10x42 Eurobin - These two were optically and physically identical (minus the $200 price difference) so comments apply to both. This was probably my least favorite of the configurations. My only explanation is that it must be somehow related to the slightly smaller exit pupil as that is all I can come up with. I had trouble getting the correct diopter setting for this configuration but eventually found one that was somewhat comfortable. Image quality overall was comparable to the 8x42 but the narrower field of view and dimmer image were immediately noticeable. I just didn't get that relaxed feeling with this bin. Sharpness was as good at the 8x42 and it is the same size and shape as the 8x42 but this one just didn't give me that favorable impression which some bins do.

10x50 - This one was a surprise. I am not keen on big bins nor the 10x configuration but the image of this bin is extraordinary. I have to compare it directly to the 10x50 Swaro SLC (and did in the store) because that has to be what this bin was built to compete against. Brightness levels were entirely comparable between these two bins with the Meostar actually appearing a bit brighter...though that may be the result of better contrast or a slightly warmer color bias (more on that later). The image between these bins was virtually identical in terms of perceived sharpness, contrast and level of distortion. The only real difference I could note in the store was the slightly warmer color bias of the Meostar. I wonder if this could almost be somewhat of a comparison between the "Old SLC" and "New SLC" in terms of image quality. Though I have seen it mentioned that there is no affiliation between these two companies there are just so many similarities between these two bins both physically and optically (though the Meostar is about a half inch shorter in length).

The focusing mechanism on this bin is particularly smooth and very precise though a bit slow compared to my Nikon and Leica. It does allow for very minute changes in focus without overshooting the sweet spot. Overall built quality is excellent though not quite at the level of the SLCs. The Swaros' build and mechanics are "elegant" to me while the Meoptas seem just more functional. The central hinge, eyecups, etc... just don't have the "fluid" feeling that the Swaros do. I do not know if I would call it a quality issue or not but there is a definitive difference.

Now, as you probably have already figured out I decided to take the 10x50s home with me. I took them out to the local hawk watching site this afternoon to see how they performed. Physically they are a handful as their length and weight are significantly larger than what I have been accustomed to using. Optically they are superb and definitely similar to the 7x42 SLCs that I was using a few weeks ago. Image representation in terms of color, off axis distortion, sharpness and brightness are all very comparable. Probably the only negative worth commenting on is the level of chromatic abberation. There is some and noticeably more than the Swaro SLCs. Is it significant to the point of being distracting? No, not in my opinion but it is there and I can see it which means it might be more than some folks would be willing to tolerate as I do not consider myself someone overly sensitive to it.

If you have been following my thread in the Nikon forum I have also been keen on trying out the 10x35 EII. Well I ordered one through Amazon and also took it out to compare in the field with the Meopta. As expected the Meopta is significantly brighter with better contrast though the Nikon really did hold its own. When you consider the objective diameter is significantly smaller and the price is a little less than a third of the Meopta though then you really have to respect the image that this little glass presents. If it wasn't for the exceptionally short eye relief on the Nikons I probably would have decided to keep them instead.

In concluding I think the Meoptas are going to be keepers for me. They are definitely a nitch bin though as I cannot see me toting around a 10x bin for general use and especially not one that is as big and as heavy as these are. For those of you wondering how the Meoptas compare to the big three (make that four with the Nikon) I would say that they compare very favorably...noticeably better than their immediate competition in the $900-$1000 price range. My advice? Buy them now while they still are at this price point.

Probably the only negative worth commenting on is the level of chromatic abberation. There is some and noticeably more than the Swaro SLCs. Is it significant to the point of being distracting? No, not in my opinion but it is there and I can see it which means it might be more than some folks would be willing to tolerate as I do not consider myself someone overly sensitive to it.
In concluding I think the Meoptas are going to be keepers for me. They are definitely a nitch bin though as I cannot see me toting around a 10x bin for general use and especially not one that is as big and as heavy as these are.

I am going to have to take back some of my earlier comments. After a full day in the field hawkwatching with these bins under conditions which strongly promoted one's ability to see CA I must say that I just find it too noticeable in this configuration for regular use. My intention when buying these was strictly for hawkwatching as there size and configuration strongly lend themselves to such but the CA became annoying after a time and I was left going back to my 7x42 Trinovids.

The other issue I attempted to resolve was whether or not I could actually see more with the 10x as opposed to the 7x. In every situation I placed these bins into I was not able to see something exclusively in the 10x bins. Whatever I could see at 10x I could also see at 7x all be it considerably smaller. With that thought in mind I think I am going to again stay clear of the 10x configurations. I just cannot find a significant benefit for my intended applications. However, I think it is now time to give the 8x's a go. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back