• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta, Praktica (1 Viewer)

FrankD said:
I am going to have to take back some of my earlier comments. After a full day in the field hawkwatching with these bins under conditions which strongly promoted one's ability to see CA I must say that I just find it too noticeable in this configuration for regular use. My intention when buying these was strictly for hawkwatching as there size and configuration strongly lend themselves to such but the CA became annoying after a time and I was left going back to my 7x42 Trinovids.

The other issue I attempted to resolve was whether or not I could actually see more with the 10x as opposed to the 7x. In every situation I placed these bins into I was not able to see something exclusively in the 10x bins. Whatever I could see at 10x I could also see at 7x all be it considerably smaller. With that thought in mind I think I am going to again stay clear of the 10x configurations. I just cannot find a significant benefit for my intended applications. However, I think it is now time to give the 8x's a go. ;)

Frank,

I was tempted to say something earlier but decided not to since you were apparently taken with the Meopta. But now that you've seen its CA problem, may I suggest that you not give up on 10x and take another look at SLCs, particularly the 10x42 that's not too heavy and has excellent CA supression and beautiful depth of field? Mine was purchased two years ago, just before the SLCnew was introduced, and is used for shore birding and hawk watching as discussed on your other thread. It's outstanding (now that I've got the darn diopter setting right).

With regard to magnification, I'd also submit that 7x and 10x bird images may only seem different in size to you, but that's because you can already see the same bird with each size binocular. Under some hawking conditions, trying to pick up birds way, way in the distance, the 10x will bring a bird into view that simply can not be detected at lower magnifications. The same applies for distinguishing flight characteristics or marks needed for positive ID.

As discussed on the other thread, an aspect that often neutralizes the advantage of a 10x is hand vibration. In my opinion the SLC should be supplemented with a Finn Stick device, which makes an amazing difference in distance performance. As you know, the one I use with my SLC is a "FISMO" (see equipment review section).

Okay, just another opinion for you to ponder before giving up on a 10x altogether.

But, whatever you do, enjoy the view,
Ed
PS. Sorry, I hadn't seen your last post on the other thread.

Last edited:
Ed,

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I haven't given up entirely on 10x bins but rather just for the time being. Finances are again tight as my second job just came to an end for the year. However, when I again take up the search I will most definitely consider the 10x42 SLC. I was very impressed with the Swaro quality level and the image of the 7x42 all but matched the Trinovid I was comparing it to. If the 10x is comparable then it will be a very difficult decision to make. One best left for a time when I have the resources to cover it. ;)

I do understand your point with regard to 10x versus 7x but I would submit that one would also have to consider atmospheric conditions as well. Heat shimmer, for example, could possibly nullify any inherent advantage that a 10x might have over a 7x binocular. Though common sense would most definitely agree with your stance on being able to detect hawks far and away I, honestly, was not able to confirm that when hawkwatching on Friday with both bins. As I mentioned I was able to detect everything with 7x that I could with 10x and vice versa. I do not seem to remember a single instance in which I found the 10x most useful in initially locating a bird though I would think that identifying plummage would favor the 10x assuming a steady rest could be obtained. I still have both the 10x bins, at least for the moment, and would have no problem with again trying to compare the bins in question.

Thank you again for the suggestions.

FrankD said:
Ed,

Though common sense would most definitely agree with your stance on being able to detect hawks far and away I, honestly, was not able to confirm that when hawkwatching on Friday with both bins.

Frank, I quite agree with you. I always see more with 7x when scanning for flying ducks or hawks at a distance.
You have one of the best 7x bins in the world. 10x will never best them in ease of use or sharpness, only in CA. Invest your money in the best scope you can afford to compliment your amazing bins.

Invest your money in the best scope you can afford to compliment your amazing bins

Thank you for your comments. I have already invested in a Pentax 65 ED A model and am very, very happy with it. For the price I do not think one could find a better scope and it compliments all of my binoculars quite well. Good luck in your search for the 7x bin. You might find some of my comments on your other threads useful.

FrankD said:
I am going to have to take back some of my earlier comments. After a full day in the field hawkwatching with these bins under conditions which strongly promoted one's ability to see CA I must say that I just find it too noticeable in this configuration for regular use. My intention when buying these was strictly for hawkwatching as there size and configuration strongly lend themselves to such but the CA became annoying after a time and I was left going back to my 7x42 Trinovids.

The other issue I attempted to resolve was whether or not I could actually see more with the 10x as opposed to the 7x. In every situation I placed these bins into I was not able to see something exclusively in the 10x bins. Whatever I could see at 10x I could also see at 7x all be it considerably smaller. With that thought in mind I think I am going to again stay clear of the 10x configurations. I just cannot find a significant benefit for my intended applications. However, I think it is now time to give the 8x's a go. ;)

Frank, Do you think that the CA problem is as bad in the 7x42's and 8x42's Meoptas as they were in the 10x50's?

I cannot say for sure at the moment. I actually have a pair of 8x's in my possession and must say that I do not notice it whatsoever in the limited circumstances I have briefly used them in. I did not take them with me up to the hawkwatch yesterday simply because I plan on returning them and did not want to take the chance of having something happen while I am sitting up on the rocks on the top of a mountain. It was in that particular application that I found the CA most prevalent in the 10x50s.

Now if you are wondering why they are being returned it is simply because I decided to give the 7x42s a try. I am quite enamored with the panoramic, bright, comfortable, highly detailed image that a good 7x42 binocular can provide. It truly is picture-window attractive. The field of view is the same between both magnifications but the depth of field should be better on the 7x's. Once I get them in I will attempt to detect CA in a variety of situations.

Sorry I could not help more at the present time.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back