• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x42 Ultravid advantages? Am over 60. (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

For some time I've been weighing up the pros and cons of getting some 7x power binoculars and know the advantages in general: steadier image handheld than with 8x or 10x; more light-gathering power in the dark; wider field of vision for finding birds.

But I am over sixty - a pretty fit & steady-handed sixty I like to think, but all the same over sixty. Is the additional light gathering of Ultravid 7x42 HD Plus going to be negated by any deterioration in eye flexibility? Regarding the wide field, would I be better off with the Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF? These are the choices I've narrowed down to. Trying them at a dealer's has left me liking both ergonomically and 'just because I do', but I can't try them out in twilight at this time of year. Shop closing times in Britain don't follow the sunset!

Anyone have their own experience of both of these and able to help me with a comparison? Thank you.

Tom

Hello My friend. I use a 7x42 Ultravid HD not + I also have a Trinovid 7x42 BN I am 60. I find them both superb Binoculars Hugh depth of field you hardly have to focus with the walk in view. I can hold the HD steady with one hand. I 'm Lucky to also have a Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt Icon of a binocular makes you smile when you look through them. simply Stunning

Thanks very much, both of you. I am going to take my time over this as it's worth waiting to find the right pair... and hopefully second hand. Your info is very helpful; funny how x7 has gone out of fashion. They seem to be one of the best choices from all the comments I've been reading.

Tom

Thanks very much, both of you. I am going to take my time over this as it's worth waiting to find the right pair... and hopefully second hand. Your info is very helpful; funny how x7 has gone out of fashion. They seem to be one of the best choices from all the comments I've been reading.

Tom
I've used a 7X42 Ultravid BR since 2004. I'm 67, wear eyeglasses and have very little accommodation left in both eyes. The benefits of the 7X42 in order of importance to me:

1. STABILITY. The lower power produces a very stable, relaxing, comfortable view. This should not be underestimated because a stable image reveals more than a shaky image. I also use 8x and 10X bins.

2. CENTER FIELD SHARPNESS. Deadly sharp image in the prime viewing area.

3. SUPER COLOR SATURATION. Truly enjoyable colors.

4. ERGONOMICS. I just pick it up an use it without any hassles.

5. LOW LIGHT. Years ago it was brighter than my 8X32 SE in rather dark conditions. In Jasper, Aberta I enjoyed another hour of late evening viewing and I've chased owls in near darkness. It's no longer a high priority for me.

PS
I recently sent my 7X42 Ultravid to Leica for repair. From the objective side of both tubes, using a flashlight, it looked as if the coatings were failing. I did not see a degradation in the view but I'm sure there was some effect. It also had a cracked diopter window and a stiff hinge. Leica upgraded the optics, replaced the hinge, the diopter window, installed new eye cups and armor. It was returned better than new and both lenses are now spotless.

Anyone have their own experience of both of these and able to help me with a comparison?

Hi Tom,

I’m of the older persuasion myself, and a couple of years ago I made the decision to buy my 7X42HD+ based on a head-to-head comparison with a Zeiss 8X42SF and 8X42HT, with my old favorite 7X42B/GAT (T*P*) in hand as a reference standard. None of the three seemed markedly superior to me; they were all superb performers. But also, none of the three seemed distinctly better than my B/GAT, which I think says a lot about the excellence of that original design. What sold me on the HD+ was that it was very slightly better than all of them at pulling detail out of the shadows; and there was something about its view that just felt easy and relaxed. So, I bought it.

John

Hi Tom,

I’m of the older persuasion myself, and a couple of years ago I made the decision to buy my 7X42HD+ based on a head-to-head comparison with a Zeiss 8X42SF and 8X42HT, with my old favorite 7X42B/GAT (T*P*) in hand as a reference standard. None of the three seemed markedly superior to me; they were all superb performers. But also, none of the three seemed distinctly better than my B/GAT, which I think says a lot about the excellence of that original design. What sold me on the HD+ was that it was very slightly better than all of them at pulling detail out of the shadows; and there was something about its view that just felt easy and relaxed. So, I bought it.

John

I've owned a pair of 8x42 Ultravid BRs since 2009, but I own many others and try others every chance I get. Years ago a forum member sent my a 7x42 Ultravid to try for a month or do. I was surprised how little difference there is between seven and eight power. To me the binos were so close, that if you owned one or the other, you wouldn't consider buying the other to compliment.

The 42 size Ultravids fit my face well, so my 8x42s are very comfortable, but the sevens are super easy, lots of room for the eye to wander around.

Some years ago I was at a wildlife viewing spot when a small group walked up. One lady had a pair of Zeiss Classic 7x42 around her neck, so I asked her if I could have a look. Wow! I loved them. I didn't have my or the borrowed Ultravids to compare, but I couldn't imagine an easier, wide open picture window view of the world. I would love to compare them side by side to other alpha 7x42s, I know I would be happy with them regardless.

I agree with Pilateus in Post #5. I am 58. The 7x42 UVHD+ were hands down my favorite binoculars I’ve ever owned until the release of the 8x42 Noctivid. While I am exceedingly satisfied with the Noctivids, I also sort of got caught up in the latest and greatest, and could of been supremely happy with the 7x42’s forever. I did consider them over HT’s and SV’s, but never compared them to SF’s directly.

Last edited:
SeldomPerched,

That's a tough call - 7x42 vs 8x42 for a steady handed person - but I might be leaning toward the additional magnification as a higher priority (and the wider FOV of the Zeiss would no doubt be an added bonus). I'm 56 but have gone shakey compared to a few years back. Shows up in my groups at the rifle range and when viewing thru binoculars and at a number of other places too. I have high quality 7x42 and 8x32, but have never had high quality 8x42. For me, the steady relaxed view of the 7x and bit of additional depth of field is much appreciated and enjoyed for general viewing. When I'm trying to pick up detail on a subject, using the center sweet spot mainly, I appreciate the 8x and put out the extra effort to keep steady for a brief moment. I'm thinking a steady handed person might enjoy 8x magnification over 7x magnification, but that isn't founded in anything other than "I'm thinking". Maybe the others will chime in regarding magnification and if they think it has any significance regarding this decision. Some small trade-offs here and you will need to decide.

CG

Last edited:
Anyone use the 7x42 UVHD+ for astronomy? Im quite set on a pair of EL 10x50, but I have used these 7x42's in a windowless store and really appreciated their ergonomics and steady view, and large exit pupils.

Anyone use the 7x42 UVHD+ for astronomy? Im quite set on a pair of EL 10x50, but I have used these 7x42's in a windowless store and really appreciated their ergonomics and steady view, and large exit pupils.
Unmounted the 7X42 Ultravid is OK for casual observation but it does have those soft edges.

Mounted, the 10X50 SV is as good as it gets for stargazing with a 10X50. The entire FOV is sharp and a joy to study. Unmounted it's pretty much useless to me (for stargazing) after a few shaky views!

SeldomPerched,

That's a tough call - 7x42 vs 8x42 for a steady handed person - but I might be leaning toward the additional magnification as a higher priority (and the wider FOV of the Zeiss would no doubt be an added bonus). I'm 56 but have gone shakey compared to a few years back. Shows up in my groups at the rifle range and when viewing thru binoculars and at a number of other places too. I have high quality 7x42 and 8x32, but have never had high quality 8x42. For me, the steady relaxed view of the 7x and bit of additional depth of field is much appreciated and enjoyed for general viewing. When I'm trying to pick up detail on a subject, using the center sweet spot mainly, I appreciate the 8x and put out the extra effort to keep steady for a brief moment. I'm thinking a steady handed person might enjoy 8x magnification over 7x magnification, but that isn't founded in anything other than "I'm thinking". Maybe the others will chime in regarding magnification and if they think it has any significance regarding this decision. Some small trade-offs here and you will need to decide.

CG
I do not find a lot of difference in a 7x to an 8x Binocular my self Only using a 10x for that extra reach for sea bird watching or distant waders

I'm 'only' 55 this year and I don't perceive any degradation in my sight (I've worn glasses most of my adult life) beyond the norm and my hands are very steady. However, I own the 7x42 UVHD+ and there's no doubt that it is a very special binocular. I also have a 2012-2015 8x42 Trinovid and 10x42 Noctivid. In comparison with the Trinovid the difference in magnification is insignificant after the first few seconds of changing from one to the other. The image of the Trinovid is exceptionally good - it was comparable to the image of the Ultravid HD according to this review:- https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/birdwatchers-digest-best-8x42-binoculars.php but the image from the 7x42 is in another class IMO. Bright, great colours, spectacular field of view, razor sharp. But there's something special about the image which is very hard to describe. It's just 'pops' and makes you say 'wow'. Terrible description, but......... The Noctivid is spectacular and, yes ultimately, better, but the 7x42 HD+ has something very special of it's own.

7x42 for Astro

While the 7X42 is a nice glass with large exit pupils and great for late afternoon and early morning terrestrial views, the mag is a bit low, so I use a bit more, 8X for surveying the sky, but 10X and up for astronomy. I have the Meopta 7X42 and while it is a nice glass format, I really do not use it for the night sky.
I find the 7X a great glass for being near foliage, heavily wooded areas, there nothing beats it.

Andy W.

Have 7x42 UVid hd+ for 2 and half years and sold off my other binos over this time. Last purchase was FL 8x32 which is fantastic. Used it for several days then went back to 7x42 and, after looking through it for just about 2 minutes, I thought wow (!) this is all I need. That big open view, ease of use with glasses and beautiful image made me realize I want to use it every time I'm out. Deeper DOF of lower power bins can be addictive too.

Last edited:
The 7x42 is like looking through a large picture window. While my 57 YO pupils don't dilate large enough to fully use the 7x42's generous exit pupil, they do indeed "feel" different than an 8x42.

For me the ultimate bin would be a 7x32/35 Ultravid. Since it's not made I use an 8x32. I did use a 7x30 SLC for years, and while a good binocular, it's not at the level of the Ultravid.

The 7x42 is like looking through a large picture window. While my 57 YO pupils don't dilate large enough to fully use the 7x42's generous exit pupil, they do indeed "feel" different than an 8x42.

For me the ultimate bin would be a 7x32/35 Ultravid. Since it's not made I use an 8x32. I did use a 7x30 SLC for years, and while a good binocular, it's not at the level of the Ultravid.

Yes, totally agree ... a 7x35 UVid would be the ultimate birding bino for me - smaller and lighter would be great ... and 5mm EP acceptable.

Yes, totally agree ... a 7x35 UVid would be the ultimate birding bino for me - smaller and lighter would be great ... and 5mm EP acceptable.

Beth, it's refreshing to read after someone that allows what they "see" to dictate what they "think," rather than the reverse. A quality more common among women, but rarer in men. Especially here in the USA there is a definite "more powerful is more better" attitude. Yet not everything can be quantified purely with numbers... like the old preacher said - "It's better felt than telt."

Beth, it's refreshing to read after someone that allows what they "see" to dictate what they "think," rather than the reverse. A quality more common among women, but rarer in men. Especially here in the USA there is a definite "more powerful is more better" attitude. Yet not everything can be quantified purely with numbers... like the old preacher said - "It's better felt than telt."[/QUOTE]

Like that saying.

If Tim 'the tool man' Taylor was a birder he would carry a 20x :-O

Beth, it's refreshing to read after someone that allows what they "see" to dictate what they "think," rather than the reverse. A quality more common among women, but rarer in men. Especially here in the USA there is a definite "more powerful is more better" attitude. Yet not everything can be quantified purely with numbers... like the old preacher said - "It's better felt than telt."[/QUOTE]

Like that saying.

If Tim 'the tool man' Taylor was a birder he would carry a 20x :-O

If it was branded "turbo", "magnum", "sport", or/and "tactical" - it would be a stronger seller. :eek!:

My .02,

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back