• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Row (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I've lost the row with New Posts and Todays Posts on.

I've re-booted and cleared my cache and cookies but it won't re-appear.

Using Firefox. I didn't do anything, just checked through the threads and when I went back it'd disappeared. When I looked at some of the other BF tabs I've got opened the row had even gone from them as well, even though I'd not refreshed them.

I've checked on IE and it is visible there.

D

Thanks KC - that's worked fortunately:t:

Now for the techie-minded there was a message about Renamed Files/Folders:

Old Name: Cache
New Name: Cache3

Location: C: Doc&Settings blah..blah..Moz\Firefox\Profiles\cmjm8crk.default.

Presume this is where the problem occured?

D

Huh???? it was there... but it's gone again:eek!::-C

D

Sooo... I did another System Restore to the day before the previous one.

Again the row was there but disappeared again after I'd used it.

The only thing different this week has been a Yahoo Messenger update, but that's been on for several days... could it be causing the problem?

D

I suspect this is a problem when using an ad blocker, as the google ads on the left determine the height of that bar - if the ads are blocked, the bar will collapse. I'll add a spacer to prevent this happening :)

Ollie

Interestingly, there was already a spacer there, I just didn't notice it when I looked just now. I've added a more thorough spacer, just in case - let me know if it's done the trick.

Ollie

Interestingly, there was already a spacer there, I just didn't notice it when I looked just now. I've added a more thorough spacer, just in case - let me know if it's done the trick.

Ollie

Thanks for trying that Ollie but, no, it hasn't worked I'm afraid.

D

I cannot for the life of me work out why that row would disappear - it's no different to any other part of the page, so it all seems very odd. Can you do me a favour? 'View Source' on the page, copy it all into an email and send it to me? I'll PM you the address.

Thanks,

Ollie

Sooo.... I disabled Adblock Plus and the row is back again.

Unfortunately it's taking forever to load the BF page now - it got stuck on BFTV, then Googleanalytics etc. It's taken all that time from my last post to be able to post this (12.34 to 12:57).

But at least I've got the links back

D

Sooo.... I disabled Adblock Plus and the row is back again.

Unfortunately it's taking forever to load the BF page now - it got stuck on BFTV, then Googleanalytics etc. It's taken all that time from my last post to be able to post this (12.34 to 12:57).

But at least I've got the links back

D

You could try re-enabling Adblock and then disable individual addresses to find out which you need to allow. If you click the Adblock plus icon a window will open at the bottom of Firefox showing what is blocked on the page.

I use NoScript as well as Adblock and only allow birdforum.net scripts. However, as you are a Mod, you may need extra functionality that normal users don't.

Incidentally, this forum was painfully slow to load for me without Adblock and NoScript extensions.

EDIT: I forgot to say that the row you were missing is visible to me with both Adblock and NoScript enabled.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris and Paul... it was working for me too until an hour or so before I posted... I was waiting to see if anyone else complained (I thought Ollie had deleted the row:-O)

Chris said:
You could try re-enabling Adblock and then disable individual addresses to find out which you need to allow. If you click the Adblock plus icon a window will open at the bottom of Firefox showing what is blocked on the page.

OK I re-enabled Adblock and eventually found the icon LOL

The first two lines are in red and read:

Address##.adbar, Filter ##.adbar (that's in blue), Typehidden

Line 2
Address[/B http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js Filter /pagead2.$~object-subrequest,~other Type script

Sooo... is it the first line? If so what do I do about it?

I wonder if it is the Yahoo Messenger update that is behind this?

D

Thanks Chris and Paul... it was working for me too until an hour or so before I posted... I was waiting to see if anyone else complained (I thought Ollie had deleted the row:-O)

OK I re-enabled Adblock and eventually found the icon LOL

The first two lines are in red and read:

Address##.adbar, Filter ##.adbar (that's in blue), Typehidden

Line 2
Address[/B http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js Filter /pagead2.$~object-subrequest,~other Type script

Sooo... is it the first line? If so what do I do about it?

I wonder if it is the Yahoo Messenger update that is behind this?

D

Hi Delia,

In my Adblock window everything that has "birdforum.net" is in black, everything else (most of it is google or ask) is in red. If you right click on a filter (like the first line you mention) you can enable/disable that filter. So if you right click on that first line you can change it's status to see what happens, then do the same to change it back.

As to yahoo toolbar, it wouldn't surprise me if that was causing problems, but to be fair I don't use it.

LOL, you won't believe this, I've just lost the new post row as well.

When I find out why I'll let you know.

Delia, it's the "adbar" one at the top. Disable that and the row that's playing hide and seek returns.

Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

It's back

Thanks so much

Don't think I'll ask why it happened though :-O

D

Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

It's back

Thanks so much

Don't think I'll ask why it happened though :-O

D

You're welcome, I think it's because the "ad" in adbar (which might represent "address" bar) is seen by Adblock as an advert, so it's blocks it. Someone somewhere changed some code recently.

You're welcome, I think it's because the "ad" in adbar (which might represent "address" bar) is seen by Adblock as an advert, so it's blocks it. Someone somewhere changed some code recently.

Thanks for the detective work - much appreciated! I guess Adblock must've got a bit more strict and added that as a rule recently - nothing's changed on the site with that respect. As I suspect you won't be the only people using AdBlock, I've changed the name of the bar to prevent it from being blocked.

Thanks!

Ollie

Thanks for the detective work - much appreciated! I guess Adblock must've got a bit more strict and added that as a rule recently - nothing's changed on the site with that respect. As I suspect you won't be the only people using AdBlock, I've changed the name of the bar to prevent it from being blocked.

Thanks!

Ollie

You're welcome.

Thanks for your quick response in fixing the problem (which was the fault of Adblock's code). I'm sure everyone would be grateful, except they'll probably never even know you did it.|=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back