• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny Owl calls... (1 Viewer)

They have finished breeding and there is now a surplus of young birds looking for territories: this is a very argumentative time in the Tawny Owl year.

John

They have finished breeding and there is now a surplus of young birds looking for territories: this is a very argumentative time in the Tawny Owl year.

John

Interesting subject.

Last year 24th September I had two Tawny's in the garden for 3 days. They fought during this time. My conclusion was that one was an adult trying to move the juvenile off territory.

Two nights ago a Tawny was calling from the garden again (two weeks earlier than last year). I wonder if I get the same scenario in the next few days

Dave

PS - here is my initial observations from a year ago post #11698 http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=124663&page=468

Last edited:
Yes indeed, September is the 'classic' month for hearing Tawnies as they set up their winter territories (and kick the kids out).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back