Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Great Blue Heron

Old Friday 6th May 2016, 17:00   #1
Tsunamispeakershawks

Great Blue Heron

Well, it is a very common bird, but I wonder what do you think about composition?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heron.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	583697  
Old Friday 6th May 2016, 17:24   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

Great focusing through all that vegetation and it seems to be composed quite well.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 6th May 2016, 22:19   #3
Tsunamispeakershawks

Thank you.
Old Saturday 7th May 2016, 06:29   #4
ApusApus

As KC said great focussing but overall the photo is too fussy and distracting. The eye needs to be drawn to the subject and unfortunately in this photo it's not IMHO!

Shane
Old Saturday 7th May 2016, 14:46   #5
Tsunamispeakershawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApusApus View Post
As KC said great focussing but overall the photo is too fussy and distracting. The eye needs to be drawn to the subject and unfortunately in this photo it's not IMHO!

Shane
Thank you for your opinion, which I respect!
One of my favorite subject in the photography is photographing camouflaged animals. It is relatively easy to find and photograph camouflaged fishes, insects, frogs and even lioness against yellow savanna grass, and I did photograph them all. Please sea for example this devil scorpionfish (Inimicus didactylus) , which I photographed in Hawaii http://epod.usra.edu/.a/6a0105371bb3...0ac679f970c-pi Do you see my suject right away or your eyes need to be drawn to it?
With birds, at least with birds in SF it is harder. Of course there are great horned owls, and sometimes they are camouflaged very well, maybe some other birds too. With herons it is different. It is not a problem to take a nice image of a heron with a nice background, nice light, and so on, but I took so many such pictures that I have became kind of bored of them. So I've decided to try something different:the subject that eyes should be drawn to, just as you said. I know the heron did not try to be camouflaged, but it looked that way, so I photographed the bird in the grass.

Last edited by Tsunamispeakershawks : Saturday 7th May 2016 at 15:11.
Old Saturday 7th May 2016, 22:40   #6
Strontium Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApusApus View Post

This is a matter of taste, I think. For me the photography perfectly captures the skulking nature of this fabulous ambush predator. This is a bird that does not want to be seen. It's supposed to be difficult to view perfectly.
Old Saturday 7th May 2016, 22:55   #7
Tsunamispeakershawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strontium Dog View Post
This is a matter of taste, I think. For me the photography perfectly captures the skulking nature of this fabulous ambush predator. This is a bird that does not want to be seen. It's supposed to be difficult to view perfectly.
Thank you, but I cannot take a credit for photographing a difficult subject. Herons are common in Golden Gate Park, and they hardly care about people. They are very easy to approach and to photograph. They would only react on a person who is running, otherwise they mind their own business, ignoring people with cameras. Actually a few days ago a heron killed a gopher right in front of me https://youtu.be/c19AAOQ3GOA
I did not a good job with this video partly because he was way too close.
Old Saturday 2nd July 2016, 13:11   #8
dave598
Getting Back Into the Zone.

I am like KC I love it. It is a great photo. To me the lines lead me into the bird.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: