Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon FF (and DX) Mirrorless rumours/ announcements

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 5th October 2018, 05:59   #201
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappercool View Post
I can't see how these mirrorless offerings are going to help bird Photography that much.
IBIS is not as effective on the long lenses. The 500PF is more significant for us.
Once the resolutions on these FF Mirrorless sensors hit about 63-80MP then we have effectively matched/exceeded the best resolutions for current DX anyway .... (the Samsung 28MP NX-1, and the rumoured 32MP Canon DX for 2019). We are also equivalent to a 20MP MFT. Note that a 20MP 1" Sensor is equivalent to just under 150MP FF.

Provided they can continuously AF and meter at least at 10fps (15fps better) then they will make good bird photography tools. I can see DX Mirrorless being a bit of a conundrum going forward.

Further refined IBIS systems may see the elimination of IS/VR need in lenses - allowing them to be made smaller, lighter, and cheaper. There is a lot to look forward to with Mirrorless.

As Dave said the Z7 crops (20.3MP) to virtually current DX's now - it's just that it tops out at about half the D500's fps in AF-C/AE.

I hope that Nikon just does a D500S DSLR next, and dips it's toe in the Mirrorless DX waters with something like an entry level Z3 - they've got quite a road to travel to even sort the mount out for that one yet!

I think Canon is sorted for now - there will be 2 DX mounts - the existing M, and down the track a high performance Mirrorless 7D would just use the R mount. Will Nikon do something similar ... ?

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 5th October 2018, 06:03   #202
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Banding in the Z7 means it can't quite match the D850's Dynamic Range

It seems that this is showing up with EV pushes of +4 or more in the shadows with current processing software. This will definitely need to be sorted for any higher resolution Z8 ......
https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon...sions-review/7

Chosun

Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 17:25   #203
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb Nikon Z7 Mirrorless Camera teardown

Well folks, here's what makes her tick ! :)
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/10/06/n...teardown.aspx/

Other interviews I have seen with Nikon managers suggest that more powerful processing and faster AF operation, over sampled video, and higher bit rate etc, is constrained by processor and heat dissipation at the moment. Along with the number of card slots, battery size and life, if this is to change, then a larger body for factor will be required.
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/10/05/l...and-more.aspx/

Chosun

Old Wednesday 17th October 2018, 05:38   #204
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs down Nikon Z7 tracking lags behind the D850, Sony a7 III

It seems that Nikon hasn't quite lived up to it's own self defined performance parameters.

I have to say, I find this AF 'miss' a little puzzling, I mean it's not rocket science! Lol - well actually it is :) the physics of a moving object should be easy enough to track in real time - it's not like you're trying to predict the random appearance of a UFO or something popping in and out of 3D reality from some higher dimension.

The maximum speeds, accelerations, and range of directional changes is well within calculation for most subjects - the flight of swifts or peregrines should be able to be predicted. Probably things like hummingbirds and dragonflies would be harder still. I really don't get how focusing on an unintended background can be such a common occurrence ....

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon...traffic_source

Overall AF conclusion

"The Nikon Z7 has vast AF coverage, is precise in its focus on static subjects and accurate in its focus on moving subjects (using a single point), but its AF tracking of moving subjects is not as reliable as the 3D-Tracking mode found in Nikon DSLRs.

For some time, we've considered Nikon DSLR autofocus the best in the business both in terms of tracking operability and reliability. But the Z7, while capable, falls short of meeting this high standard, despite its pro-level price. It also falls far short of the bar set by class-leading mirrorless autofocus, likeSony's Lock-on AF."

Chosun

Old Wednesday 17th October 2018, 15:14   #205
HermitIbis

So which of the two mirrorless systems, N1 or Z, is worse at tracking? Pressing OK on my V2 to start or stop tracking has rarely worked with small birds.

After this harsh review, and marcsantacurz' report in the other thread I'll rather get another V2 body. Mirrorless birding at its best, and you can even turn the "shutter noise" on, if you join a group of DSLR birders.
Old Wednesday 17th October 2018, 15:45   #206
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lol :)

In one of the interviews posted in this thread, one of the Nikon Managers claimed that the '1' series isn't really dead since the lessons learned during its inception and development live on in the 'Z' series.

I really thought Nikon would move the AF game on with the Z, but it looks like for now it's still in the realms of unrealised potential .....

Chosun

Old Thursday 18th October 2018, 17:29   #207
Snappercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticoholic View Post
Y

However Im glad Nikon is finally putting out a serious mirrorless system because mirrorless cameras in general have a few advantages over DSLRs that can help with bird photography. The mirrorless features I most appreciate are (a) a totally silent and vibrationless shutter and (b) a really good EVF that allows among other things the ability to zoom in on your subject and dial in the focus super precisely with focus peaking.

Dave
Silent shutter would be useful to me. Often sat in the hide and the only one with a DSLR. I start to shoot and the D500 shutter sounds pretty loud.
Old Thursday 18th October 2018, 18:57   #208
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappercool View Post
Silent shutter would be useful to me. Often sat in the hide and the only one with a DSLR. I start to shoot and the D500 shutter sounds pretty loud.
While it can be an issue, shutter noise also has advantages. After two years of silence now I sometimes turn on the noise. It helps me to cure my mistake to press the shutter too early in a BIF situation, to be aware of buffer limitations and shoot more "consciously", care more about framing.

Funny side-observation: birds find the artificial shutter noise of my V2 more annoying than the V3's. There IS technological progress in Nikon's cameras!
Old Thursday 25th October 2018, 00:55   #209
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation DPReview critique of, and suggestions for - AF system

DPReview is refining it's review of the Z7 and offers this further critique of, and suggestions for the AF:
https://m.dpreview.com/articles/2670...improve-the-z7

It is clear that Nikon has missed it's own mark with regard to AF.

My view is that with the potential ability to 'virtually' use the whole sensor 'area' as an RGB sensor, and more AF points, they really should be able to write algorithms to offer better than DSLR performance. They may need to look at including two Expeed 6 (or even 7) processors - photography is becoming more and more about data processing.

Also interesting that they mention: "Unexpectedly, the native Z lenses we've tried appear to focus more slowly and less predictably than adapted F-mount lenses too (though to their credit they are silent to focus in video)." I'm not sure which Z lenses this refers to - I guess we'll have to wait until the full review is released.

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Thursday 25th October 2018 at 13:23. Reason: spellun n dat

Old Saturday 27th October 2018, 20:31   #210
opticoholic

I liked this review:

http://blog.michaelclarkphoto.com/?p...q-pYkWdz-gjVNo

In general I like a lot of things about the Z7 for general photography apart from birds. I remain most interested in how good the native "S" lenses will be, and I'm kind of witholding judgement on the system overall until I see more reports on both the 35mm and 50mm S lenses. So far the first reviews of the 24-70mm zoom and the 35 have not been entirely glowing, but generally I'm reading positive things.

Dave

Last edited by opticoholic : Saturday 27th October 2018 at 20:36.

BF Supporter 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: