• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The UK and optics prices (1 Viewer)

Putting on the devil's advocate hat for a moment (a black fedora, i think): you can take into account the R and D side which has led to innovations others will later adopt and the (usually) emphasised after-sales, bigger marketing budgets, presence at trade shows, sponsorships etc. all on the 'outgoings' side.
We also have the disposable income within certain sectors of the population, the prestige factor of simply being seen with an alpha, a (perhaps smaller) obsessive group who have to own what is currently seen as the best, and a very weak pound...
I still wonder how far the parameters can be pushed however. When i spent £2000 on my Kowa 883, it was preceded by at least a week of pacing, mumbling to myself, night-sweats, nightmares of some Gollum-like creature that resembled me, living in a cave and clutching 'my precious...'
What is around £3000 for the new Zeiss scope gonna do?

If you don't got to the pub twice a week, or go out for dinner every weekend, or have kids or don't spend on high end audio or iphones or tablets or bet on horses, you can tell yourself you are only spending what you have saved.

Lee

Or - if it comes down to what you tell yourself - you can just shout at yourself very loudly to 'EITHER DO IT OR DON'T!!! BUT STOP NAGGING ME ABOUT IT!!'
I need the drink to stop the voices......;)

There really is nothing us Brits love better than having a good moan eh? Looking at another piece of fine German engineering:

Porsche 911 Carrera - price in 1984 £22,357; price today "from £95,975" (for Carrera GTS - add various options and the price very quickly increases) - 4.3x increase.

Zeiss "alpha" binocular - price in 1984 @£360 (for Dialyt 10x40BGAT); price today (for SF 10x42) c.£1,900 - 4.2x increase.

That's almost exactly the same. And alpha binoculars - like German sports cars - are "want" rather than "need" items. No one needs a 911 to get from point A to point B, and hardly any of us truly need a SF or similar product to go birding.

There really is nothing us Brits love better than having a good moan eh? Looking at another piece of fine German engineering:

Porsche 911 Carrera - price in 1984 £22,357; price today "from £95,975" (for Carrera GTS - add various options and the price very quickly increases) - 4.3x increase.

Zeiss "alpha" binocular - price in 1984 @£360 (for Dialyt 10x40BGAT); price today (for SF 10x42) c.£1,900 - 4.2x increase.

That's almost exactly the same. And alpha binoculars - like German sports cars - are "want" rather than "need" items. No one needs a 911 to get from point A to point B, and hardly any of us truly need a SF or similar product to go birding.

Indeed but if we continue down this thread of reductionism (and I agree there are many bins costing less than Zeisses/Leicas or Swaros that do the birding thing just fine) nobody needs to go birding either.

And while a 911 will convey you from A to B I doubt whether many of them are bought with solely this in mind. I would guess that most are bought for the pleasure of driving and it is a brave person who will argue that the pleasure of birding is more worthwhile than the pleasure of driving.

Lee

Porsche 911 probably used for pulling birds.

A Jaguar E type was better at this.

Rolls Royce not bad either. Higher class. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back