• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (57 Viewers)

Cheers sy there were at least four of them darting at one another but this one landed about 40 feet in front of my belting out a very nice tune that only us young ones can hear i'm told.

Birding at Flashes/Sailing Pool/Ed Res

I made 2 visits to the Flashes today - at the start and end of the day.

I arrived at about 0650 as daylight was starting to appear. A quick scan of the Sailing Lake revealed 3 Tufted Duck and a Great Crested Grebe. As I walked towards the entrance to the Flashes 2 Little Egrets flew over my head in the direction of Wychbold.

On reaching the first viewing point at the Flashes I scanned across the water and picked out my first Upton Warren year tick for the day: an Avocet:t:. The second was soon to follow when I found a Green Sandpiper 8-P on a vertical slab on one of the islands to the centre/right of the hide. As I got my scope on the bird it flew off towards the back of the flash and I thought it had gone. I did find it again a bit later, when it perched on a wooden post at the back of the flash, before disappearing for good. 2 Little Egrets were asleep at the back of the Flash when I entered the hide. Were these the same 2 birds I saw in flight about 10 minutes earlier?... I have my doubts!

I then embarked upon a walk which took me into the Education Reserve via the Archery Field and along the Salwarpe to the Southern end of the Moors Pool and back to the Sailing Centre car park.

24 Greylags and 6 Curlew were in the field that can be seen from the back of the Archery Field - the one favoured by the Short-eared Owl a few years ago - and another Oyc was in the field adjacent to the Sailing Lake. The Ed Res was beset with Chaffinches feeding upon the ground and flying up into the trees on my approach, as well as small flocks of Goldfinches. No Siskin or Redpoll though:-C. I also saw a Treecreeper, 2 or 3 Goldcrests and a pair of Great Spotted Woodpecker in the Ed Res, and heard a Green Woody call on a number of occasions.

Maximum species' totals over the course of the day were as follows:

Flashes

Avocet(1), Green Sand(1), Oystercatcher(2), Snipe(42), Lapwing(c270), Curlew(10), Little Egret(2), Cormorant(1), BHG (300+ in roost), LBBG(2), Shelduck(10), Teal(47), Shoveler(2), Mute Swan(2), Buzzard(2), Peregrine(1), Sparrowhawk(1), Linnet(7)

Sailing Pool/Ed Res

GC Grebe(3), Little Grebe(3), Little Egret(2), Tufted Duck(3), Cormorant(2), Greylag Goose(24), Treecreeper(1), Goldcrest(2/3), GS Woodpecker(2), Green Woodpecker(1).

Sunday Work Party at Flashes

Don't panic NOT this Sunday8-P
But the next - MARCH 1st , this will be the last of the season at the Flashes.
We have a bit to sort, what we don't manage will have to wait until September.
So its a matter of priorities
1. clear breeding islands
2. repair or should I say reassemble shelduck boxes
3. put weld mesh along stretch of fox fence running north from hide.
4. check fox fence
5. depends on how many people we have, so won't mention anything else.

Hopefully you can make it. Meet at Sailing car park 9.30.
B :)John

Birding at the Moors Pool

I spent much of the afternoon at the Moors Pool, starting with a walk around the North Moors Trail. A hunting male Kestrel was the star turn here. On leaving the North Moors I joined the causeway and scanned across the paddock. 25 or so Redwing were either feeding on the ground or in trees on the left hand side of the field.

Species totals for the Moors were as follows:

Avocet(1 - same bird as seen at Flashes), Oystercatcher(1), Snipe(12), Lapwing(3), Gadwall(8 - 5 drakes), Shelduck(8 - probable total across the reserve was 10 as per the Flashes roost), Pochard(2 - 1 pair), Teal(12), Shoveler(34), Tufted Duck(36), Little Grebe(2), GC Grebe(3), Mute Swan(2), Greylag Goose(18 - undoubtedly part of the flock of 24 seen at the Flashes), Little Egret(1), Grey Heron(2), BHG(c50), LBBG(2), Cormorant(20), Collared Dove(1), Stock Dove(2), Redwing(25), Green Woodpecker(2), Kestrel(1), Sparrowhawk(1), Cetti's Warbler(1)

One notable absentee from the reserve today was a certain Upstarts, who usually compiles such a splendid in-depth report of the day's sightings. I can only hope that my little effort meets with the master's approval.:t:B :)B :)B :)

Don't panic NOT this Sunday8-P
But the next - MARCH 1st , this will be the last of the season at the Flashes.
We have a bit to sort, what we don't manage will have to wait until September.
So its a matter of priorities
1. clear breeding islands
2. repair or should I say reassemble shelduck boxes
3. put weld mesh along stretch of fox fence running north from hide.
4. check fox fence
5. depends on how many people we have, so won't mention anything else.

Hopefully you can make it. Meet at Sailing car park 9.30.
B :)John

don't 4get to bring our bird table mesh back you thieving swedes:-O

I spent much of the afternoon at the Moors Pool, starting with a walk around the North Moors Trail. A hunting male Kestrel was the star turn here. On leaving the North Moors I joined the causeway and scanned across the paddock. 25 or so Redwing were either feeding on the ground or in trees on the left hand side of the field.

Species totals for the Moors were as follows:

Avocet(1 - same bird as seen at Flashes), Oystercatcher(1), Snipe(12), Lapwing(3), Gadwall(8 - 5 drakes), Shelduck(8 - probable total across the reserve was 10 as per the Flashes roost), Pochard(2 - 1 pair), Teal(12), Shoveler(34), Tufted Duck(36), Little Grebe(2), GC Grebe(3), Mute Swan(2), Greylag Goose(18 - undoubtedly part of the flock of 24 seen at the Flashes), Little Egret(1), Grey Heron(2), BHG(c50), LBBG(2), Cormorant(20), Collared Dove(1), Stock Dove(2), Redwing(25), Green Woodpecker(2), Kestrel(1), Sparrowhawk(1), Cetti's Warbler(1)

One notable absentee from the reserve today was a certain Upstarts, who usually compiles such a splendid in-depth report of the day's sightings. I can only hope that my little effort meets with the master's approval.:t:B :)B :)B :)

brilliant with no mention of that 4 letter word c-k-

Andy ...the jobs yours....great read. only prob no mention of cake. 8-PMrs off work this week so getting brownie points for the spring. nice one kid:t: john

Andy ...the jobs yours....great read. only prob no mention of cake. 8-PMrs off work this week so getting brownie points for the spring. nice one kid:t: john
just read Verns reply after posting mine8-P

Had a PM today from a forum member....nelvabe from Kansas City.....opened it to see something about winning a share of $65 million......closed it straight away but dont know how to contact admin to get the person deleted etc...can anyone help please.

Found the contact us place now and informed them....not sure if its a virus thingie but a warning in case anyone else gets a strange PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back