• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

A couple of phone images from this morning. I think a few of us with be nursing stiff backs in the morning.

Good company as always on top of the tasty sausage roll and lemon drizzle.

Fingers crossed for a great spring.

Nice one lads - looks like I wasn't missed 8-P

A couple of phone images from this morning. I think a few of us with be nursing stiff backs in the morning.

Good company as always on top of the tasty sausage roll and lemon drizzle.

Fingers crossed for a great spring.

Thanks Neil for posting your pics:t:

14 of us sorted all the tasks ready for the breeding season. - more details laterB :)

Today's work party at Flashes

The weather was kind to us for the last work party of the season at the Flashes.
This was probably the most laid back March work party ever. Thanks mainly to the work done by the grazing cattle - normally we would have had to strim and mow the area in front of the hide. However the cattle have done a better job than we could have dreamt for.

Today's tasks:
1. rebuilding he 2 shelduck boxes.
2. cleared the main breeding island of canada poo and vegetation.
the 1st Flash island was also suffering from 'flappy polythene syndrome' . So we had to improvise with bricks and concrete blower pots to cover it - not aesthetically pleasing but so be it. (if anyone has got some large boulders/cobbles we'll have em).
3. installing heavy duty fencing along the stretch north of the hide.
4. clearing the smaller shingle islands.
5. put wood chippings along the low points of the path.
6. closed the sluice
7. checked the fox fence
8. cleared up the debris of the old floating raft, from the meadow.
Thanks to the 14 of us today
in alphabetical order - Dave W, Des J, Fraser D, Ian J, John L, Mary O, Mike W, Neil D, Paul (newbie off the forum:t:), Phil W, Rich, Tim O, Tracey B and me thanks all of you and thanks to Claire J for the lemon drizzle and mary for the sausage rolls.:eat:
Pics
1. the main 2nd Flash island
2. the 1st Flash island
3. the 'delta' looking good - hopefully for lapwing
4. a distant shot from the hide of one of the shelduck boxes.
5. The view over the 'central area' at water level 0.44 (8 cm lower than last week)

Attachments

• 1RHIs afta wrkDSCF5600.jpg
    1RHIs afta wrkDSCF5600.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 2. 1st flash Is afta wrk DSCF5620.jpg
    2. 1st flash Is afta wrk DSCF5620.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 3. best Delta DSCF5621.jpg
    3. best Delta DSCF5621.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 1. sheldk boxDSCF5606.jpg
    1. sheldk boxDSCF5606.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 100
  • the central area DSCF5598.jpg
    the central area DSCF5598.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
February draws to a close with a month list of 82 species and the year list advanced to 90.

Potential additions to the year list in March include:

Marsh Harrier
Little Ringed Plover
Ringed Plover
Yellow-legged Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Little Owl
Swallow
Sand Martin
Stonechat
Wheatear
Blackcap
Willow Warbler
Coal Tit
Brambling
Yellowhammer

When I am back off holiday I will post some stats about how often summer migrants have occurred in March in previous years.

A Coal Tit was singing behind the moors conversions today late morning.

On a separate note, farewell to Peter E and best of luck with your move - pop back and see us sometime. :t:

Birding at the FLASHES

With the water level looking ideal, it was no surprise to see so many birds in front of the hide.
Prior to the work we walked the southern edge of the 2nd Flash and flushed a good number of Jack snipe. Also in the area were feeding curlew , lapwing, and common snipe.
After the work the rain came and the birds returned.
Species count FLASHES:
Teal c40, shelduck 8, coot 20, water rail, mute swan pr, Jack snipe 11, common snipe 20 ish, curlew 11, avocet 16, lapwing 220, oystercatcher 3, little egret 2, BHG 400, herring gull c20, LBBG 10, wood pigeon 400+, stock dove 3, fieldfare 25, redwing 3, cettis warbler singing, linnet, grey wag,

Attachments

• avos.jpg
    avos.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 103
Eeek! Public apology for not being at the work party today.

No excuses, I honestly just forgot

ATB!

I will allow this indiscretion , this time:-O8-P
to be honest with you Craig , we were stuck for work to do.
That's why I never texted anyone, I just posted it on the forum and on twitter a couple of times. If we were in need of big numbers then I will text you all.

ps , I have your bittern wing , I have given Mary the other one.:t:

Moors Pool today

As John has covered the Flashes I'll do the last two hours at the Moors Pool, which being from the west hide was a bit low on waders.

The Avocets all returned twice from the Flashes along with six of the eight Shelducks, 50+ Lapwing and most of the BHGs on the second occasion. Not sure what was causing this, hopefully only overflying raptors.

Other wildfowl & wader counts were: Mute Swan (2), Canada Geese (50+), Shoveler (43), Pochard (9), Tufted (36+ 2 on SP), Little Grebe (4+1 on SP), Great Crested Grebe (8+2 on SP), Teal (20+), Snipe (2) & Oystercatcher (4). Water Rails were evident in the reeds in front of the hide, at least one being seen and a couple more calling. Gulls other than BHGs were Herring (6 or 7), LBB (4-5), Great Black-backed (1st winter), Common (4 2nd winters). Small numbers of thrushes (c.30) - mainly Fieldfares with a few Redwings - headed to the ER to roost. Two Grey Herons appeared at dusk causing momentary alarm until they were seen well ;) On the feeders were the usual assortment of Greenfinches, Reed Buntings (at least 12), Blue, Great and Long-tailed Tits and ratty. A Cetti's warbler sang in front of the hide.

Last edited:
With the water level looking ideal, it was no surprise to see so many birds in front of the hide.
Prior to the work we walked the southern edge of the 2nd Flash and flushed a good number of Jack snipe. Also in the area were feeding curlew , lapwing, and common snipe.
After the work the rain came and the birds returned.
Species count FLASHES:
Teal c40, shelduck 8, coot 20, water rail, mute swan pr, Jack snipe 11, common snipe 20 ish, curlew 11, avocet 16, lapwing 220, oystercatcher 3, little egret 2, BHG 400, herring gull c20, LBBG 10, wood pigeon 400+, stock dove 3, fieldfare 25, redwing 3, cettis warbler singing, linnet, grey wag,

+ 2 Raven.

Des.

good day all round

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    736.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    849.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    591.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    480.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    896.1 KB · Views: 106
Mary says thanks again for the Bitten wing also she spotted 3 roe deer up on the farm

Attachments

• IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    643 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    501.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    588.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    470.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    583.9 KB · Views: 80
As John has covered the Flashes I'll do the last two hours at the Moors Pool, which being from the west hide was a bit low on waders.

The Avocets all returned twice from the Flashes along with six of the eight Shelducks, 50+ Lapwing and most of the BHGs on the second occasion. Not sure what was causing this, hopefully only overflying raptors.

Other wildfowl & wader counts were: Mute Swan (2), Canada Geese (50+), Shoveler (43), Pochard (9), Tufted (36+ 2 on SP), Little Grebe (4+1 on SP), Great Crested Grebe (8+2 on SP), Teal (20+), Snipe (2) & Oystercatcher (4). Water Rails were evident in the reeds in front of the hide, at least one being seen and a couple more calling. Gulls other than BHGs were Herring (6 or 7), LBB (4-5), Great Black-backed (1st winter), Common (4 2nd winters). Small numbers of thrushes (c.30) - mainly Fieldfares with a few Redwings - headed to the ER to roost. Two Grey Herons appeared at dusk causing momentary alarm until they were seen well ;) On the feeders were the usual assortment of Greenfinches, Reed Buntings (at least 12), Blue, Great and Long-tailed Tits and ratty. A Cetti's warbler sang in front of the hide.
Val had 27 snipe in Amy's marsh and 20 pied wags in same area. 4 common gulls - were there 2 more after I left.:t:

A Coal Tit was singing behind the moors conversions today late morning.

On a separate note, farewell to Peter E and best of luck with your move - pop back and see us sometime. :t:

New for the year - Coal Tit (#91)

Just to echo everyone else's comment, wishing you all the very best for the future Peter; your considered but passionate approach combined with a desire to get "stuck in"has been a real asset to the reserve the last few years :t::t:

Tuesday work party

Tomorrow again we will be on Amy's marsh....with Oystercatchers arriving early this year , we must get the breeding islands sorted in the next 2 weeks. The weather looks good and its 1st Tuesday in month and that means 'CAKE DAY'....I have got them sorted, but only if all our missions are accomplished 8-P...a good turn out will make the work load a bit lighter.B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back