• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

screech-owl's bird quiz (1 Viewer)

Pine Siskin?

Oh, and BTW, welcome to BirdForum, greenmagpie!

Yeh, you got it first. you could give some others a chance, or not ;)

I have no new pictures, so here is an ABA area bird, but rather than a photo, a description from a random field guide.

Worth 25pts. You must tell me the bird and which field guide!!!!!!!!!!!

Around meadows in mountain west male ______ are aften heard before they are seen: their wings make a metallic trilling in flight. Like other mountain ____'s, appears regularly in lowlands during migration.
Male has rose throat, green back and sides, some rusty in tail. Female green above, buff on sides.

Voice: musical chip, buzzy chattering

And please, greenmagpie don't answer, because you were just birding with me and we saw this bird.

Last edited:
well my first thought was broad-tailed hummingbird. but im gunna guess Rufous Hummingbird

PS: its the National Geographic field guide to birds

Same rules as above, 25pts.

Chickadee-like; unique head pattern shows black or gray throat and auricular patches, yellow on crown. Yellow wing patch or wing bars. Grayish upperparts and wash on sides and flanks. Large white spots in tail.

spring adult male: Crown extensively bright yellow;; facial patterns black. Large yellow wing patch in all males. Back clear gray.

Remember: I need correct ID and guide!

Hmmm... Broad-tailed Hummingbird. As for the guide... um... I'm really not sure, probably one I don't have. How about one of the National Geographic guides?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back