• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland autumn rarity thread (2 Viewers)

28 September

Yell

American Golden Plover - Shetland rarity

I am also adding a second Little Egret for Mainland, there may be one very mobile bird but two seems more likely. Steve A, I have noted the comments on the Booted Warbler.

Yell

American Golden Plover - Shetland rarity

I am also adding a second Little Egret for Mainland, there may be one very mobile bird but two seems more likely. Steve A, I have noted the comments on the Booted Warbler.

Saw the bird at Spiggie on Thursday but it was right across the loch.
We were discussing the bird whilst waiting for our flight home yesterday and we wondered how well this bird (or birds) have been seen. Given the predominant airflow, has Snowy Egret been definitively discounted ?

American Golden Plover = Golden Plover - not the first ambitious ID in the last few days/weeks: can we have stats on the misidentification rates on the different islands?

John

Saw the bird at Spiggie on Thursday but it was right across the loch.
We were discussing the bird whilst waiting for our flight home yesterday and we wondered how well this bird (or birds) have been seen. Given the predominant airflow, has Snowy Egret been definitively discounted ?

Yes for the bird seen well today, not entirely sure if there is more than one.

30 September

Foula

White-crowned Sparrow - national rarity

Congratulations to Chris and Mike. Not sure if the White-throated Sparrow is still present today, if it is that must be a unique combination in the UK.

Last edited:
September scores on doors and comparatives

So the current state of play is:-

Fair Isle 9 6 2
Unst 4 5 2
Mainland 4 4 6
Foula 2 1 1
Yell 1 0 2
Bressay 1 0 1
Whalsay 1 0 1
Skerries 1 0 0
Fetlar 0 0 0
Papa Stour 0 0 0

And for those interested at the same time last year it was:

FI 8 8 3
Mn 7 6 1
U 7 1 2
Fo 5 0 1
Fe 2 1 0
Sk 1 1 0
Br 0 0 1
Y 0 0 0
PS 0 0 0

The figures for last year do not include the Parrot Crossbill influx.

Attachments

• Shetland 2018 Melodious vs Icterine.jpg
    Shetland 2018 Melodious vs Icterine.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back