• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatears of Kazbegi (Georgia) (1 Viewer)

Hippolais

Luca Boscain
Hi, I've identified the wheatears I observed in Kazbegi (Georgia) at the beginning of september as Northern because of contrasting wings, with dark centres and pale edges of feathers, but somebody put in doubt the identification and well, I've to say that know, with just a couple of pictures, I feel confused as well. Any help??
The 3 pictures show 3 different individuals...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 98
What are the doubts that someone has put to you regarding your identification and why aren't they Northern Wheatears from your perspective? Did you encounter any other species of Wheatear whilst out there, such as Black eared or Issabeline? It's always contentious to nail an id. from just one photo, such as these 3 birds.

I suppose the doubts concern Northern vs Isabelline? Recently there has been a very educative thread on BF dealing with the difficulties of the ID:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366652

In my opinion the OP birds look more like Isabelline mainly due to the comparatively short pp and the dark brown basic colour (instead of black) of the tertials and coverts with very broad pale fringes.

I suppose the doubts concern Northern vs Isabelline? Recently there has been a very educative thread on BF dealing with the difficulties of the ID:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366652

In my opinion the OP birds look more like Isabelline mainly due to the comparatively short pp and the dark brown basic colour (instead of black) of the tertials and coverts with very broad pale fringes.

Tend to agree so will change my mind, also white rather than buffy in front of the eye.

Well, the first pic was of a single bird, while the 2nd and 3rd were 2birds together.
In the first individual there's like a impression of very faint dark mask, while in the 3rd photo I see an obvious dark bridle.
I'm now convinced to identify as Isabeline at least the 3rd and, for extension, the 2nd as well, that looks with the same wing pattern and was together.
But I still have doubts about the first bird... Other opinions?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back