• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why did this happen?? (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
The flower (Cannas I believe) was aproximately 100 feet away. I was battling the sun at 3:00 o'clock postion and everything was taken on Andy's suggested settings. Camera hand held up to the scope. There was a thick wooded section directly behind the flowers. So why the midnight background? Was it because of the dark wooded section behind it? Thanks.

Attachments

• 0615cannas2.jpg
    0615cannas2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 360
If you are using very high magnification then you may well be looking into a black hole in the trees as well as very short depth of field.

Hi KC,

It simply looks to me as if the camera has taken it's exposure from the very bright highlights ie. the flowers in front of the very dark background. I've had this happen to me a few times. A bit of EV adjustment of about 2x f-stops would reduce the effect, giving a bit more detail in the back ground, but the stem of the flowers would likely come out white with no detail.

Another thing that has happened on occasion by accident is that when I have changed exposure modes for one reason or another from setting 3 on the Nikon 4500, to setting 1, the built in flash has popped up and gone off, giving very similar results to yours. This Goosander had a very similar outcome though I was able to lighten it somewhat and retain background detail.

Can't say "why" it happened but it does seems almost as though a spot metering exposure setting was taken from the highlights on the flowers. Either that or perhaps there was an accidental and substantial negative exposure compensation (sorry, not being a digiscoper or having a Coolpix myself I don't know what Andy's recommended settings are). Essentially, if you take a spot metering reading from something, this something will come out with the brightness of "mid-grey/gray" in your final picture. For your picture, you'd normally want the mid-lit parts of the petals to come out mid-grey brightness and the other parts coming out with a tonal range from quite dark to almost white. As regards the background, if that in real life was much darker than the darkest parts of the flower, for the one shot, you'd just have to sacrifice it and accept that it will come out black. It's possible if you'd given a bit more exposure, you might have revealed a bit of detail in the background. But, as Ian says, much more and you'll find substantial parts of the flower will become white.

With extremely high contrast situations like this, it might be worth considering doing exposure bracketing (or Best Shot mode on the Coolpix??). Then, as you have your camera on a tripod and your subject hasn't been moving much, you would have a sequence of pictures identical except in that they each would have the separate components of the picture nicely exposed. Using Photoshop layers, you might then be able to create a composite which has satisfactory detail for you in both the foreground and background.

If you didn't use spot metering and you didn't have exposure compensation on then I would suggest you've found a situation that has fooled the camera's metering system. I can't see anything in your picture, as posted, that would qualify, in exposure terms, as a "highlight" or virtually white.

It's an interesting one.

I was using Spot AF Area for metering. Now here is where I am smacking myself on the head. I had the macro setting on and I probably should have used infinity being as the subject was fixed and unmoving.
I see I still have a lot to learn here but all your suggestions are being printed out and saved. Thank you all for taking the time to take a look and help me out. It is sincerely appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back