Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Zoom for the Pentax PF 80ED

Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 11:38   #1
wachipilotes

Zoom for the Pentax PF 80ED

Which is the best zoom for the Pentax PF-80ED?
Wachi.
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 17:09   #2
dipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachipilotes View Post
Which is the best zoom for the Pentax PF-80ED?
Wachi.
I would imagine the Baader Hyperion zoom Mk IV providing it focusses to infinity which it should as it is designed to be compatible with more spotting scopes.
Old Saturday 21st September 2019, 17:27   #3
Ries

I had a conversation about this with another bf member who has tried different zooms on the Pentax, and scoured the different threads here and although the Baader seems top, the Pentax' own zoom seems to deliver quite a performance as well
Old Sunday 22nd September 2019, 12:22   #4
giosblue

Here is a picture of my modified Baader Zoom. I focuses to well over a mile away at the highest magnification.
Personally this has been more this adequate for my needs. Do you really need infinity for birding?

I don't use the zoom much, it's so quick easy just to pop another fixed eyepiece in I use them most of the time.
My main gripe about the Baader is the dust protection and weather proofing. It doesn't seem to have any.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602[1].JPG
Views:	33
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	705486  

Last edited by giosblue : Sunday 22nd September 2019 at 12:26.
Old Sunday 22nd September 2019, 12:53   #5
giosblue

This just about sums it up for me. I found that the Pentax had too much CA, it felt like I was looking through an old lens.
What us Pentax users really need, are the Baader optics inside the Pentax body. That would be really good.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2...r-8-24mm-zoom/

Last edited by giosblue : Sunday 22nd September 2019 at 12:56.
Old Monday 18th November 2019, 21:53   #6
DRodrigues

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosblue View Post
Here is a picture of my modified Baader Zoom. I focuses to well over a mile away at the highest magnification.
Well done.
Which version is your zoom?

http://www.pt-ducks.com
Old Monday 18th November 2019, 23:29   #7
mayoayo

Pentax infamous barrel notch

The problem with pentax scopes is that the eyepiece socket ,has a notch in the bottom that prevents many eyepieces to sit all the way in,preventing them to reach infinity focus..Yes ,I need infinity focus to bird,of course I do. Specially with a scope!!!..I had to cut a niche in my old Swarovski Astronomy Zoom barrel,many years ago,to reach infinity in my Pentax PF65ED.It was a fixed 1 1/4 barrel and the field stop was way above the end of the barrel,so no problem.With the baader I don't know,but I think would be the same.I don't think the field stop would create any problem,as the Kowa tsn3 narrow neck did ,to prevent insertion.If the astro barrel prevents full insertion ,the problem would be easily and safely solved cutting a small niche in the bottom..
Old Wednesday 27th November 2019, 10:53   #8
simpleman19

I have both the Pentax and Badaar and a PF 80 Ed. I have the Badaar for my telescope and the Pentax for my scope. The telescope is wrapped up for Christmas for the family so I can get back to you after Christmas about it.

I can tell you that the Pentax zoom is super smooth to change magnification and is comfortable to get behind on all powers (albeit the eye box is a bit tight on the higher power). The Image produced is incredibly clear and I cannot remember seeing any distortion on any of the field of view. I also like how well it fits in the scope, it has a notch cut out to allow it to drop in place before tightening. From what I’ve read elsewhere the Badaar MKiv comes with an adapter to allow it to Focus to infinity when used with the scope this scope. All of my comments are preliminary as I do not have much time behind the scope yet. I will tell you this, I am on the hunt for a better tripod setup as the eye piece with the scope requires a very sturdy set up. I’m probably going with a manfrotto 502ah/055 setup.

O hope this helps.
Old Thursday 28th November 2019, 08:45   #9
giosblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRodrigues View Post
Well done.
Which version is your zoom?
Mine is the MK111, Might buy a MK1V though, if it focuses to infinity or very close I'll probably keep it.

Ron
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: