Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Jamaica, January or February 2020

Old Monday 14th October 2019, 16:28   #1
Vagabren

Jamaica, January or February 2020

I am looking for a few more people to join a 6 day birding tour (using local companies) in January or February next year. Esp. looking for a female companion to avoid the single supplement.

I should also mention, I would like to do birding with photography and at a fairly relaxed pace to just enjoy being in the outdoors.

I prefer to go with a local company. Has anyone booked a tour with Arrowhead or RAJ in Jamaica before?

thanks! Brenda
Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 01:04   #2
Swiffly

Hey Brenda, I would be good for something like that! Though I am an older man. I've looked at this tour for years,

https://www.gcjamaica.com/green-cast...ng-tour-dates/

But I'm not committed to it. I've not researched any other tour operators in Jamaica, would consider anything else.
Old Saturday 19th October 2019, 01:18   #3
Vagabren

Hi Swiffly! I took a look at the link - definitely interesting. And it looks like they already have others registered as the site says for the 14th to 21st February 2020-3 places left. But how do you read their Green Castle Birding Tour - do you stay on their estate or venture elsewhere?
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 00:51   #4
Swiffly

As I understand it their package cost includes a trip to the Blue Mountains for high elevation birds and they think the rest of the endemics can be found on their property. An email to clarify it would be smart.

My general approach is pretty casual, including renting a car for myself and following my own nose. I think they would do whatever we asked them to. What I like about it is having a place to sleep and food, without having to do any more research. I am pretty bad at finding hotels up front, that part is appealing to me, though food is generally pretty easy to find.
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 19:40   #5
Trystan

Highly recommend green castle. The grounds are extensive and I connected with 13 endemics there. The rest were found in the blue and John crow mountains. I put a brief report in the trip reports forum.

World total (IOC) 2223 Eastern yellow wagtail; UK total 363 Eastern yellow wagtail; Yorkshire total 312 Chough
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 01:11   #6
Swiffly

Thanks much Trystan, gives me a better idea of the experience. I agree with the "paying a little more" for the convenience idea. Here's a link for Brenda if she hasn't tracked it down already:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=373134
Old Tuesday 22nd October 2019, 00:55   #7
Vagabren

Thanks for the link Swiffly. Great report Trystan aka Rob. Will look again at Green Castle.
Brenda
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: