• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tough to digiscope in forested area (1 Viewer)

SeeToh

Opus Editor
Shot this fast moving Striped Tit Babbler inside a broadleaved forest in Singapore on a very hot and sunny afternoon. The canopy of the forest was not that thick and in my view, plenty of light is getting through it.

However, despite zooming in my P300 to just enough to eliminate the vignetting, I could only get 1/8s shutter speed at ISO160. Because of the slow shutter speed, I could not shoot at continous mode. I am digiscoping with a Nikon 82mm ED Fieldscope + 30x wide-angle digiscoping eyepiece.

All my shots were thrashed except for this one which luckily for me, the babbler stayed still (the body but not the tail) for that spilt second I pressed the shutter. This pic was shot nearly at full-frame but in landscape. I changed it to portrait during processing.

Should I just increase the ISO to increase shutter speed (thereby compromising IQ) so as to have more keepers? Or just shoot at low ISO and hope to be lucky to keep one or two pics?

It is definitely not easy digiscoping in a forested area even on a bright sunny day. You will need a very cooperative subjecto:D

Attachments

• striped tit babbler.jpg
    striped tit babbler.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Never be afraid of raising ISO to get sufficient shutter speed to freeze action. No amount a image processing can fix a pic blurred by subject movement. On the otherhand, blurred detail and loss of DR casued by high ISO sensor noise can be fixed, maybe not today but eventually with software improvements.

That said, there was probably little chance for a quality pic in this scenario with 1/8sec shutter speed at base ISO. To get up to the 1/125sec minimum needed ISO3200 is required.

SeeToh,

Based on my experience in the rainforest, I had few images that came out sharp with shutter speed less than 1/20s with cable release. I never bother to digiscoped moving birds especially Babbler and Warbler. Easier with autofocus lens though.

Thanks Rick and Jason for your feedback. I have learnt that it is ok to up the ISO to increase shutter speed to freeze movement.

Shot this female sunbird visiting her nest early in the morning. Due to poor lighting, I up the ISO to 1600 to get a shutter speed of 1/125s. Thankfully, the nest was pretty close and managed to fill her and nest in most of the frame. Other settings: 1050mm focal length, f/2.5 -1EV.

Attachments

• female cooper-throated sunbird.jpg
    female cooper-throated sunbird.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 124
SeeToh,

Based on my experience in the rainforest, I had few images that came out sharp with shutter speed less than 1/20s with cable release. I never bother to digiscoped moving birds especially Babbler and Warbler. Easier with autofocus lens though.

Totally agree.... Frustrating at times but it just has to be recognized that there are some areas where you just can't digiscope well to make it worth your while (Jungles and Forests). For years now I have been wanting to take my scope to Ecuador and digsicope but the wiser part of me takes over. nah, take the camera + lens and bino's....

Sure, you can raise ISO etc...and get an 'id' shot at best or I can take my Canon 7D and 400 and sometimes get a keeper. jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back