• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samsung Digimax i5 ISO setting (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
To alter the ISO the instruction (page 44) reads "Press the +/- button and then use the UP and DOWN button to select the ISO icon"
The only +/- button seems to be the '+/- delete' button which does absolutely nothing (apart from deleting shots when in veiwing mode). Am I missing something obvious ??
What I am trying to accomplish is an increase in shutter speed. I am new to digiscoping and as the birds don't seem to want to keep still for me I assume I have to increase ISO in order to increase shutter speed?
Any help appreciated (please make it simple for this technephobe)
Thanks

David Smith said:
To alter the ISO the instruction (page 44) reads "Press the +/- button and then use the UP and DOWN button to select the ISO icon"
The only +/- button seems to be the '+/- delete' button which does absolutely nothing (apart from deleting shots when in veiwing mode). Am I missing something obvious ??
What I am trying to accomplish is an increase in shutter speed. I am new to digiscoping and as the birds don't seem to want to keep still for me I assume I have to increase ISO in order to increase shutter speed?
Any help appreciated (please make it simple for this technephobe)
Thanks

Hi David,
I've just had a quick look at a review of the i5 and it says to press the +/- button, this gives EV adjustments, then press the down arrow (on the 4way navigator) to get access to ISO etc.

Here's a link to the review, it might be more help than your manual.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/I5/I5A.HTM

Regards

John

PS. you would probably have had a few more replies if you put this sort of question in the Digiscoping section.

Last edited:
Samsung-Reply

Thank you for this. Appreciate your advise and am trying to find my way around the forums.
I have now found out the problem-there are certain functions that only operate while camera is in 'manual' . The camera has various options such as 'snow' & 'sunset' etc. I had chosen 'children' as, for some strange reason this is the mode they suggest for action shots e.g. birds. While in this mode you cannot change the ISO. I put it in 'manual' then was able to change to the highest ISO which is 400 and it displays that on the screen. However when I go back to 'children' the display disappears-so I still don't know if it is on 400 or not ?
Thanks again
Dave

David Smith said:
Thank you for this. Appreciate your advise and am trying to find my way around the forums.
I have now found out the problem-there are certain functions that only operate while camera is in 'manual' . The camera has various options such as 'snow' & 'sunset' etc. I had chosen 'children' as, for some strange reason this is the mode they suggest for action shots e.g. birds. While in this mode you cannot change the ISO. I put it in 'manual' then was able to change to the highest ISO which is 400 and it displays that on the screen. However when I go back to 'children' the display disappears-so I still don't know if it is on 400 or not ?
Thanks again
Dave

Hi Dave

When you are in the "children" setting, or any other "setting" the camera chooses the ISO setting itself automatically, dependant on the light or lack of, this is common across most P + S cameras, also Auto white balance

So in "manual" mode as it suggests, you can change some of the settings, such as ISO speeds. which gives you a faster speed but also gives you noise in the picture , its a trade off, also you can change the exposure + or - and the white balance setting, either "sunny" symbol or "cloudy" symbol rather than leave on "Auto", this does affect the colour and you should experiment with this just to see the difference.Metering should be on "spot" mode IMHO

You should be able to access the "settings" screen in playback and see the basic settings superimposed on the screen over the picture, i.e. the f stop number eg f2.8, speed, eg. 125th second, ISO setting, ISO 200 etc. you need to check your manual where this is, if not, i am sure somebody will come along and help you if you cant find it,

Hope this helps?

Rgds

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back