• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (10 Viewers)

Interesting Glowworm Article

For those that have followed Woodchats Glowworm updates the attached may be of interest.

Enjoy

Triturus

Attachments

• Glowworm Paper - CIEEM In Practice Sept 15.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 427
Two Garden Warblers seen today - one Coney Meadow and one along the canal between Salwarpe and Ladywood - these are the first I've seen on the patch since May.

Large gatherings of House Martins at the moment - including a single flock of 180+ at Tapenhall.

Skylark and Yellowhammer over Porter's Mill.

Flyover Siskins widespread and quite frequent now.

Two Sand Martins over Coney.

Water Rail (2) heard yesterday evening.

Other species recorded over the past few days include Hobby (1 on Friday and 2 on Sunday), Willow Warblers, a couple of flocks of Meadow Pipits, Cormorants, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, Mistle Thrushes, Goldcrests, Jays, Treecreepers, Bullfinches, Linnet flocks, Ravens, Reed Buntings, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Starlings, Swallows, House Sparrows, Coal Tits, Nuthatches, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroats, Grey Wagtails, Kingfishers, Grey Herons, Canada Geese,

For those that have followed Woodchats Glowworm updates the attached may be of interest.

Enjoy

Triturus

Thanks for posting - I will be very interested to see how well the translocated GW's establish over the coming years. The follow-up studies will be fascinating. Cheers.:t:

Mandarin Ducks in flight between Mildenham Mill and Hawford fishing pools. Four small flocks seen over a period of 15 minutes. They circled around back and forth so it's difficult to know the exact numbers involved as there could be duplication. The largest flock contained 10 and at one point there were 17 in the air in 2 flocks.

1 Tree Pipit in the area.
1 Sedge Warbler
1 Lesser Whitethroat
2 Reed Warblers
2 Sand Martins amongst the hirundines
1 Redpoll
Meadow Pipits over.
Lots of flocks of Siskins
Cormorants
Kingfisher
Grey Heron

Also Raven, Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Bullfinches, Red-legged Partridges and Coal Tit.

A few further birds recorded yesterday:

Another Yellow Wagtail over Ladywood in the evening.
3 Yellowhammers around Porter's Mill / Tapenhall
1 Skylark near Salwarpe
1 Whitethroat near Hawford
Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Kestrel, Jay, Treecreeper, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

Small Copper butterfly, Speckled Woods, Comma and Green-veined Whites.

Red Underwing Moth on Saturday.

photos of a Stonechat only an hour ago by the screen. May still be there?

Attachments

• IMG_2119 (2).JPG
    IMG_2119 (2).JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2128 (2).JPG
    IMG_2128 (2).JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2112 (2).JPG
    IMG_2112 (2).JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2137 (2).JPG
    IMG_2137 (2).JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2138 (2).JPG
    IMG_2138 (2).JPG
    305 KB · Views: 49
Nice find, Tim. Only the second record this year for the patch.

Still there when I left a few minutes ago.

Attachments

• Stonechat Coney2 190915.jpg
    Stonechat Coney2 190915.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Stonechat Coney 190915.JPG
    Stonechat Coney 190915.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 61
more heard tonight than seen. Water rail calling from two different areas, first close to the screen and second more towards the Salwarpe at a 11 o'clock position. Pheasant heard for the first time in a while. Green woody and Buzzard also, only 3 pied wags in roost, good number of long tail tits around too.

more heard tonight than seen. Water rail calling from two different areas, first close to the screen and second more towards the Salwarpe at a 11 o'clock position. Pheasant heard for the first time in a while. Green woody and Buzzard also, only 3 pied wags in roost, good number of long tail tits around too.

Hi Tim,

I must have just missed you last night. I got talking to a very chatty old Polish chap who was walking his dog on Gorsey Bank so it was quite late when I reached Coney. The only thing I can add for last night was a Tawny Owl calling late on from Salwarpe Court.

A round up of species recorded over the weekend as follows:

Little Egret, Stonechat, Sparrowhawk, Kestrels (2+), Buzzards, Grey Herons, Meadow Pipits over (several small flocks), 2 Cormorants, Siskins (small flocks over), Coal Tits (increased numbers in several places), Ravens, Nuthatches, Red-legged Partridges (released), Water Rails, Moorhens, Starlings, House Sparrows, 2 Skylarks over, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtails, Pied Wagtail roost (30 on Sunday evening), Linnets, Reed Buntings, Long-tailed Tits, Goldcrests, Mallards, Mute Swans, Reed Warblers (4), Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Green and Great Spot Woodpeckers, Treecreeper, Pheasants (lots of new released birds), Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Jays, Rooks, Jackdaws, Bullfinches (inc. juvs), Mistle Thrushes (just 2) and the usual Tits, Robins, Blackbirds and Dunnocks. Song Thrushes strangely absent at the moment - perhaps the local breeders have moved south and the wintering birds are yet to arrive?

went down for an hour tonight hoping to see something flying in the dusk but with no luck, only Kingfisher and Water rail making any noise, nice bright night.

Attachments

• IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 42
A round-up of species recorded this weekend:

Little Owl Ladywood (both mornings)
Wheatear Mildenham Sunday afternoon
2 Mandarins flew over Porter's Mill Sunday
1 eclipse male Tufted Duck
1 Reed Warbler Porter's Mill on Saturday
1 Sedge Warbler Coney Meadow on Saturday
Swallows and House Martins still quite common and widespread. The Swallows at Porter's Mill still feeding young in the nest.
Several small flocks of Siskins, a couple of Redpolls, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Coal Tits, Goldcrests, Linnets, Nuthatches, Green Woodpeckers, Treecreepers, Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 2+ Kestrels, 2 Ravens, Cormorants, Kingfisher, Water Rail, Grey Heron, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Bullfinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Buzzards, Moorhens, Mistle Thrushes, 2 Song Thrushes (scarce lately), Long-tailed Tits and all the common stuff.

Insects included 1 Brimstone Butterfly, good numbers of Red Admirals, Speckled Woods, Commas and Hornets.

Last edited:
A round-up of species recorded this weekend:

Little Owl Ladywood (both mornings)
Wheatear Mildenham Sunday afternoon
2 Mandarins flew over Porter's Mill Sunday
1 eclipse male Tufted Duck
1 Reed Warbler Porter's Mill on Saturday
1 Sedge Warbler Coney Meadow on Saturday
Swallows and House Martins still quite common and widespread. The Swallows at Porter's Mill still feeding young in the nest.
Several small flocks of Siskins, a couple of Redpolls, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Coal Tits, Goldcrests, Linnets, Nuthatches, Green Woodpeckers, Treecreepers, Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 2+ Kestrels, 2 Ravens, Cormorants, Kingfisher, Water Rail, Grey Heron, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Bullfinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Buzzards, Moorhens, Mistle Thrushes, 2 Song Thrushes (scarce lately), Long-tailed Tits and all the common stuff.

Insects included 1 Brimstone Butterfly, good numbers of Red Admirals, Speckled Woods, Commas and Hornets.

You allways seem to get a good turn out of species Dave, how do you think this autumn migration has been on your patch ? Locally for me the last couple of months have been totally dire hopefully get a bit more movement as the colder weather comes in.

You allways seem to get a good turn out of species Dave, how do you think this autumn migration has been on your patch ? Locally for me the last couple of months have been totally dire hopefully get a bit more movement as the colder weather comes in.

Hi Glenn,

This autumn hasn't exactly been spectacular but it hasn't been too bad either. Below is how I'd summarise passage this autumn for a selection of migrants:

Whimbrel - 1 over Coney in late July - only 2nd patch record
Common Sandpiper - 1 at Porter Mill late August - a good bird on the patch (4 records)
Whinchat - 2 August records - fewer than last autumn (which was exceptional) but some years we get none.
Stonechat - 2 so far this autumn
Redstart - 4 records between July and September (pretty average)
Spotted Flycatcher - only 3 records this autumn (poor showing for this species this year)
Tree Pipit - 3 flyover birds (on par with previous years)
Yellow Wagtail - 3 or 4 flyover calling birds (not too bad)
Garden Warbler - 2 records (fairly poor)
Wheatear - only 1 so far this autumn (disappointing, after very good spring passage - last autumn was much better)

It's definitely been hard work this autumn - but the thrill of finding a passage bird on the patch is hard to beat, even if they aren't rarities. I guess my expectations aren't that high as most of my patch consists of pretty ordinary farmland with a scattering of more interesting areas. :t:

Last edited:
A round-up of birds recorded over the weekend:

Stonechat - a dull male at Tapenhall this morning
Tufted Duck - eclipse male on farm pool near Hawford this morning
Yellowhammer - one over near Mildenham yesterday
Skylarks - numbers increasing with several small flocks over
Meadow Pipits - increasingly common with several flocks of 20+ birds
Redpoll - flyovers around Porter's Mill, Mildenham and Coney
Siskin - flyover calling birds regular
House Martin - 21 over near Mildenham yesterday
Swallow - 7 over Ladywood and 1 at Tapenhall today

Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Goldcrests, Nuthatches, Treecreepers, Coal Tits, Kingfishers, Grey Wagtails, Grey Herons, Cormorants, Kestrels, Buzzards, Sparrowhawks, Linnets, Water Rails, Moorhens, Stock Doves, Ravens, Jays, Starlings, House Sparrows, Goldfiches, Greenfinches, Mistle Thrushes, Reed Buntings, Long-tailed Tits, Green Woodpeckers, Great Spoted Woodpeckers, etc.

100+ Pied Wagtails roosted in Coney this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back