• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon XL2 lens EOS adaptor? (1 Viewer)

Claymore

Hi,
While out with my camcorder today (XL2) I got talking to a guy who reckons I can get an adaptor to fit my XL2 so i can use my old EOS fit Bigma? Is he having me on as i cannot find one anywhere and Jessops were useless (again):C
Any idea what the correct name for the adaptor is?
Cheers
BrianB :)

I think its the EF adapter you're after - and a quick google search for 'canon xl ef adapter' shows its very pricey!!!

I think its the EF adapter you're after - and a quick google search for 'canon xl ef adapter' shows its very pricey!!!
Thanks for that, Not too bothered about price as i saved quite a bit when i got the camcorder before xmas.
Cheers off to check it out
Brian

a quick google search showed this
Brilliant!!!!!!! I will see if i can find a UK supplier, I'm a very happy bunny LoL
Cheers
Brian
Ps Just noticed your in Halifax? I was born there many years ago and still miss the fish and chips mmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
Brian, I have never used one but considered the possibility of getting an X2 and adaptor last year. From memory there is a 7x crop factor when using the adaptor...so your bigma will be equiv 3,500mm fully zoomed! You manually control the aperture from the adaptor and only have manual focus. However, if you can set-up on one spot, it should be excellent!

I also read that low light capabilities are superb with EF lenses compared to the standard X2 lenses.

One thing I never got to the bottom of was using the X2 with a big lens - how do you support both the camera and lens?

Brian, I have never used one but considered the possibility of getting an X2 and adaptor last year. From memory there is a 7x crop factor when using the adaptor...so your bigma will be equiv 3,500mm fully zoomed! You manually control the aperture from the adaptor and only have manual focus. However, if you can set-up on one spot, it should be excellent!

I also read that low light capabilities are superb with EF lenses compared to the standard X2 lenses.

One thing I never got to the bottom of was using the X2 with a big lens - how do you support both the camera and lens?
Hi Mark,
Your right about the crop factor and i cannot wait to try the Bigma out. As far as mounting both the lens and camera to tripod etc I have a 10mm thick approx 300mm long Alloy Bar with a slot up the middle which I had made for my old Sony camcorder this mounts onto a sturdy tripod head and is adjustable for any size lens(thinking of getting a sidekick for it) After years of making wobbly handheld videos I always use tripods and my videos have improved drastically. Its a shame as many years ago i filmed some Otters nearby and although the image quality is great it makes you feel seasick watching it due to the wobbles LoL
I'm off up to Skye soon Eagle spotting so hopefully I will be lucky and get some decent film. (fingers crossed)
Cheerio
Brian

Hi Mark,
I'm off up to Skye soon Eagle spotting so hopefully I will be lucky and get some decent film. (fingers crossed)
Good luck. One of my all time favourite places (toss up between Skye and Mull!) with good eagle viewing on both... Do share the results

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back