• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Michigan USA, blurry picture coming later... (1 Viewer)

Angnix

GWWA
I am at my aunt's house because I lost power. Me and my aunt were outside when a bird landed on the ground near her feeder. She saw it better than I did, but I declaired it a Horned Lark. We got a fuzzy photo of the bird with my cell phone, but because my phone is roaming and my aunt doesn't have a microUSB adapter, I have to wait until I get power again to upload it.

The bird had a strong yellow and black pattern to the face and was brown above and yellow below. However, the bird had a large black bloch on the lower belly, unlike a Horned Lark. Also it was by itself. Bigger than the nearby juncos and tree sparrows, but it wasn't that much bigger.

I'm a bit stumped. As I said, picture coming soon, but it's very poor quality.

Last edited:
It wasn't a meadowlark. I know this picture isn't going to help, but meh, shows the size of it kind of. The bird in question is the one to the far left.

Photo-0033.jpg

It wasn't a meadowlark. I know this picture isn't going to help, but meh, shows the size of it kind of. The bird in question is the one to the far left.

View attachment 309605

Looks like it could be a HOLA; the black you mentioned on the lower belly might be staining or dirt. Is your aunt's house near any fields or in a rural area? That would also support HOLA of course.

Best,
Jim

Looks like it could be a HOLA; the black you mentioned on the lower belly might be staining or dirt. Is your aunt's house near any fields or in a rural area? That would also support HOLA of course.

Best,
Jim

It's right at the edge of town, I checked out satellite images and sure enough, there are farmer's fields very close by, on three sides.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back