• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

A very pleasant afternoon and evening spent Seawatching at my local lighthouse in Porto Petro. One Northern Gannet was a nice bird to see followed by many Balearic Shearwaters. There was one Yelkouan Shearwater in with them which was brilliant for identification purposes. Previously I thought that the white underwing was the main ID feature but firstly, Balearics seem very variable, certainly some of the birds today were very dark whilst others were quite light underneath. The main feature when compared directly to Balearic was that it appeared quite a bit smaller and had much faster wing beats. It really did stand out from the accompanying Balearics, it's the first time I have seen one in a flock, all the others have been lone birds and therefore hard to draw any direct comparison. Then came about 400 Scopoli's Sheawaters which were brilliant as they came close to the land. Also quite a few sightings of Dolphins breaching the water. Mike

Some Sub-alpine Warblers on migration have been seen, Woodchat Shrikes are in as are many Nightingales. Also Common Redstarts around the Island. Mike

A Bonelli's Warbler was seen today at Albufereta, quite a rare bird here. A few are seen each year. The main reserve was very quiet with Osprey, two Purple Heron, Marbled Duck, Great Reed Warbler and Nightingale. An Alpine Swift flew over. Mike

Thanks Bill, I agree that the Gosney book and video are great and the details of where to see birds are excellent too. I hope you have a great time when you are here, May is one of the best months so you should see lots of good things. Mike

Hi Cristina,
Many thanks for that photograph. Please keep feeding it for another 3 days:eat:

Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your advice on where to find a blue throat. The first one I ever saw on Mallorca was back in the 90's at Albufereta. It was shown to me and my mate by a chap and we gave him the location of a nearby slender billed gull. He left quickly, much more interested in the gull than the blue throat. He gave his name as Graham Hearl.

Another story from that trip was the day we concluded a cracking days birding at s'Albufera. Arriving back at our car parked next to the Park Centre 30 mins before closing we were met my some cold stares by 2 of the park staff. We couldn't understand this but after putting our scopes away we sat and started a cold drink at which point 1 guy came over tapping his watch.
Clearly he wanted us to leave and we weren't going to argue but I showed him my watch and said that we thought we had 30 mins before we had to leave. It was at this point that I noticed that his watch was an hour further on than mine. Of course we had gone through the whole day without realising that the clocks had gone forward through the night! We apologised profusely and left!
Roll on Sunday.

Hi Malkoa, thanks, always great to hear stories of Mallorca in the past. Graham Hearl was before my time sadly and I would love to have been around when birders all met in the evenings to review sightings for the day.
Still, there is a very good scene here now, lots of locals are involved in birding and we have the annual Bigyear competition which is great fun. They are all very friendly and have welcomed me into their company, something I appreciate very much. Let's hope we have a bumper spring this year, it's pouring with rain today which may help to put down a few migrants. Mike

Hello again- another report courtesy of Cristina and her laptop- on Wednesday to Albufera, where the water level is the lowest that I have ever seen at this time of year. There was a Curlew and 4 Avocets, but nothing else out of the ordinary, although there were at least 10 Marbled Duck and loads of Purple Gallinules out in the open. At Maristany there were 2 Tufted Duck as well as RCPs and Pochards and the most Little Grebes I have ever seen in one place. At the Depuradora there were 3 Water Pipits and a huge number of Shoveler. Yesterday I only got to Can Cuarassa and saw my first Nightingale of the trip, and Postage Stamp Wood with nothing out of the ordinary apart from 2 Marsh Harriers movig through to the NE. The Scops Owl has shown well both nights, last night to a crowd of 5 birders, but it appears to be a lone bird at the moment, and easy to see whilst the leaves on the trees are not fully out. Today there is a Common Sandpiper here at La Gola, feeding on the grassland rather tan the waters edge. My boys want to go to Lluch Monastery today, but as the weather has turned with a NE gale and rain I doubt we will see much so the target birds are Chaffinch and Wren.

Hi Cristina,
Many thanks for that photograph. Please keep feeding it for another 3 days:eat:

I'm sorry but I'm afraid the Bluethroat flew away yesterday morning helped by the wind from the South we had. :(

Some information about la Gola schedule: from 1st April to 31st May the Center will be opened from Monday to Saturday, from 08:00h til 13:00h and from 15:00 til 18:00h.

Regards

Cristina.

Hello again- another report courtesy of Cristina and her laptop- on Wednesday to Albufera, where the water level is the lowest that I have ever seen at this time of year. There was a Curlew and 4 Avocets, but nothing else out of the ordinary, although there were at least 10 Marbled Duck and loads of Purple Gallinules out in the open. At Maristany there were 2 Tufted Duck as well as RCPs and Pochards and the most Little Grebes I have ever seen in one place. At the Depuradora there were 3 Water Pipits and a huge number of Shoveler. Yesterday I only got to Can Cuarassa and saw my first Nightingale of the trip, and Postage Stamp Wood with nothing out of the ordinary apart from 2 Marsh Harriers movig through to the NE. The Scops Owl has shown well both nights, last night to a crowd of 5 birders, but it appears to be a lone bird at the moment, and easy to see whilst the leaves on the trees are not fully out. Today there is a Common Sandpiper here at La Gola, feeding on the grassland rather tan the waters edge. My boys want to go to Lluch Monastery today, but as the weather has turned with a NE gale and rain I doubt we will see much so the target birds are Chaffinch and Wren.

Great news about the Scops Owl Hugh,hope the weather clears up for you soon.
BTW is the main Puerto Pollensa beach roadworks complete now or is work still commencing,I read somewhere that they were constructing a one way system along that road.
Enjoy the rest of your stay on the island.

Cheers

Bob

Cracking male Collared Flycatcher Puerto de Pollenca in the park en route to the sea front if walking down from Postage Stamp wood this pm.

Hi again- I too have just parked my car in the Avenida de Bocchoris at the walk up to the Boquer and have seen the Collared Flycatcher- my second on the island after one on 31.iii.2002 after similar weather conditions- the day after a NE gale and heavy rain. Also a Red-rumped Swallow at Maristany yeaster day- Hugh

Very exciting!

Ilya, we have met at the Centre, right?
I forgot to tell you if you can do a description for the Balearic Ornithological Group because although almost every year there are one or two sightings of Collared Flycatcher it is considered a rarity.
Well, Hugh or you could write a description to send to the GOB.

Congratulations and many thanks!

Cristina.

Hi Cristina - yes it was me that called in at the centre earlier. Nice to meet you. Happy to do a description. If it hangs around until tomorrow I'll try to get a photo.

A very nice day spent with two botanists at Son Real. Very quiet bird wise with just one Pied Flycatcher and an Alpine Swift. I had Collared Flycatcher on my mind but I couldn´t turn it into one. Well done you two for seeing the PP bird, it´s great getting all the records from visitors and thanks Ilya for doing the description.
Also at Son Real and competent birder reported a Melodious Warbler only yards from where I was but despite a quick dash it had gone by the time I got there. Mike

Hello,

Looking forward to my 4th trip to Mallorca on the 26th April. It looks like migration is already starting so I hope it isn't over by the time we get there.

We are hoping to try and get to Cuber reservoir on this trip, but as we don't hire a car, we were wondering if anyone has ever used the Soller bus to get there and if so, how reliable is it at stopping to pick you up on the way back. We don't want to be stranded if it doesn't stop!!

Also, has anyone ever gone to the Arta peninsula on public transport? It looks an amazing place but haven't quite worked out how to get there.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work of this forum. It really is a brilliant source of information

Rach

Hi Rach. Glad you are coming back! I remember somebody posted about public transport to Cuber so I will try to find it and post here.
There are some good birds to be seen at Cuber including Moltoni's Warbler, Eleanora's Falcon, Black and Griffon Vultures, Bonelli's Eagle and an outside chance of Rock Thrush and Spectacled Warbler. Good luck and I hope you have a great holiday. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back