• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Hello
A few sightings today; Collared Praticole 4 flying and eventually on rafts with Common Tern at Depuadora mid-afternoon; Whiskered Tern 2 feeding briefly over furthest pool there; Turtle Dove 6/7 on trees at Son Bosc; a few groups of Bee-eater also there; Wood Warbler at S'Albufereta late afternoon
Graham

Hello
I will go to Mallorca May 3:rd for one week and I have a few requests. Have someone seen Balearic Warbler and Moltoni's Warbler recently and if so, where is the best place to see them for the moment? Also I wonder where in Albufera is the best place to see Moustached Warbler?
Hans

Hi I back from Mallorca on Saturday 23 of April after 2 weeks spent for birding in Mallorca.I was looking for Baleric warbler everywhere the it was possible to find them by Dave Gosney book" Finding Birds in Mallorca", but I wound 2 of them maybe it is a pair in the beach close to Portocolom (39°25'44", 3°16'20").
And Moustached Warbler I easy saw beside the watch tower in the Albufera (39°47'46", 3°06'41").

Attachments

• 2016.04.22 Mallorca 1377.JPG
    2016.04.22 Mallorca 1377.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I got back from Mallorca on Monday, here's a few shots I've processed, all from S'Albufera, Purple Swamphen, Audouin's Gull & Marbled Duck.

Attachments

• 7D2_5748 b 900.jpg
    7D2_5748 b 900.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 7D2_7212 b 900.jpg
    7D2_7212 b 900.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 50
  • 7D2_8824 b 900.jpg
    7D2_8824 b 900.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 51
Hello,
I'm sorry, I'm a bit busy these days, but here are some sightings:

21/04 Black Stork at s'Albufereta (Trevor Guy)

22/04 Bee-eaters in Camí de Llenaire (Port Pollença, Richard Cockram)

23/04 Roller at Can Cullerassa (s'Albufereta, Robert Freeman)
25/04 Roller at s'Amarador (s'Albufera Natural Park, Toni Soler)

24/04 Lesser Kestrel in Maria de la Salut (David García)

26/04, 66 Flamingos in s'Albufereta (Roy)

26/04, pale-throated Black-eared Wheatear in s'Albufereta (Trevor Guy, Roy)

27/04 possible Icterine Warbler seen by Fred.

27/04 Glossy Ibis in Can Guidet pond (Palma, seen by Rafel Mas)

(Sorry in case I confuse the observers names)

Best wishes,
Cristina.

Last edited:
Do they sell maps of the island at La Gola reserve

Hello Svenuk!

At the OTC La Gola you can find maps and information of S'Albufereta Reserve, s'Albufera NAtural Park, Tramuntana Range, Birdwatching routes in Pollença leaflet, a small map of Mallorca, etc. All free ;)

If you need a bigger map better in the Tourist Information Center.

Regards,
Cristina.

Thank you Cristina, all great information and some exciting birds being seen, it is very helpful for visiting birders to read about such sightings.
The Glossy Ibis was seen today at Albufereta with a Great White Egret there too. Lots of Bee-eaters along the Son Bosc road, a Cuckoo at Can Curassa and two Grasshopper Warblers reeling, one at Son Bosc and another at a different location, a very difficult bird to see here in Mallorca.
Also four Collared Pratincoles hawking over Albufera seen from the depuradora platform.
Still at least one Lesser Kestrel at Maria de la Salut but many Common Kestrel there too, some are breeding in the old buildings.
No Honey Buzzard or Red-footed Falcons yet but they will surely appear any day soon. Mike

Last edited:
Hans. The most reliable site for Moltoni's Warbler is at the Cuber Reservoir. Walking down the path from the car park with the reservoir on your right, the birds can be seen in the scrub to the right, about three-quarters of the way down towards the dam.
Moustached Warbler is common at Albufera but seeing them can be tricky. For some reason, they are best seen near the bridges where I have almost always seen them. There is one bridge before the information centre but it is not the best place. The other bridges are past the centre, firstly by the mound and then others further on. A map of the reserve is available from the information centre free of charge and you can see where they all are. Sit by any of these locations and I am sure you will see Moustached Warblers singing and showing quite well at the moment. Good luck and do let us know. Mike

European Nightjars are in, they can be heard churring just before dark throughout the Island in suitable habitat. Always a happy day when they return here. Mike

Hello
I will go to Mallorca May 3:rd for one week and I have a few requests. Have someone seen Balearic Warbler and Moltoni's Warbler recently and if so, where is the best place to see them for the moment? Also I wonder where in Albufera is the best place to see Moustached Warbler?
Hans

Hans, the place I have found Moustached Warbler the easiest is from the first platform along the Ses Puntes track at S'Albufera. It is harder to see them when it is a bit windier as it is at the moment.

Had some great birds today, including 2 very confiding Hoopoe along the "avenue of pines" near to the car park for the Boquer in Puerto Pollensa. Also had Wood Warbler, Woodchat Shrike, Blue Rock Thrush, Osprey, Serin, Cirl Bunting and 1 Balearic Warbler along the Valley path.

Rach

Last edited:
I have a question.Do you have a grey shrike in the Mallorca?I saw one bird looking like grey shrike on the wires close to l'Albufereta, but cant stop the car to check the properly and I don't have any pictures.

I have a question.Do you have a grey shrike in the Mallorca?I saw one bird looking like grey shrike on the wires close to l'Albufereta, but cant stop the car to check the properly and I don't have any pictures.

Hello Kristina,
We dont have it, except very, very few exemplars during migration pass, it is a rarity in Mallorca, only accidentally.
Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back