• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco field guide recommendation? (1 Viewer)

Mullarney et al (Collins Bird Guide).

It covers North Africa south to 30degN, and only omits a couple of species restricted to the extreme south or Western Sahara, eg Kelp Gull, Cricket Warbler. And if you're not travelling until next April, then wait for the 2nd Edition to be published.

Richard

Thanks both. We are OK then because, of course, we have Collins. As to monographs we have been pointed elsewhere to the Gosney 'Finding birds in ....' for N and S Morocco. Has anyone any views on these?

The second edition of the Patrick Bergier book is much more comprehensive, and generally more up to date, than Dave's booklets.

Steve

The second edition of the Patrick Bergier book is much more comprehensive, and generally more up to date, than Dave's booklets.
Steve

Hi,
I see that there are now updated version of the Dave Gosney booklets: 2009 for the Deserts part, 2011 for the Coast and Mountains.
Is the (as I understenad more comprehensive) book from Bergier 2003 still better one?
Thanks, Florian

The Gosney guide to the Deserts is certainly useful. It's a much smaller book than Bergier, so necessarily has less sites - but it's a bit more up-to-date, being recently published.

Ok, thanks! I am planning a mixed tourist-birding trip with my wife, so info on the main sites will probably enough and I'll go for the Gosney booklets.

What about those DVDs, what is on them, are they worth to buy?

Florian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back