• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Countryfile 14/03/10 18.00pm-19.00pm BBC1 ***Slimbridge*** (1 Viewer)

Was quite good - any programme showing terns gets my vote. :t:

hi Paul

The last real experience of Terns that I remember was at John Muir Country Park, East Coast, Scotland all those years ago.

What the Rangers did at that point of time was add a temporary fence to enclose the Terns while they nested in the sand dune area. This kept member of the public and dogs form disturbing the birds.

So many memories from al those years ago. Thank goodness we had no Tern poop fired at us. ;)

Hopefully someone who has experience of Scottish reserves will add their comments too.

Regards
Kathy
x

hi Paul

The last real experience of Terns that I remember was at John Muir Country Park, East Coast, Scotland all those years ago.

What the Rangers did at that point of time was add a temporary fence to enclose the Terns while they nested in the sand dune area. This kept member of the public and dogs form disturbing the birds.

So many memories from al those years ago. Thank goodness we had no Tern poop fired at us. ;)

Hopefully someone who has experience of Scottish reserves will add their comments too.

Regards
Kathy
x

I've not experienced 'bomb alley' but have been on the boat to the Sandwich Tern breeding colony at Blakeney Point and seen the fenced off area on Holkham beach and the Little Terns nesting there. I think it could have done with better signs really though! We actually get a reasonable number of Common Terns on my local river in the summer, I've seen them fishing not half a mile from my house and they definitely breed around here as I've seen them catch fish and carry it off elsewhere.

Attachments

• little tern.jpg
    little tern.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 68
  • common tern.jpg
    common tern.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 69
  • blakeney point terns.jpg
    blakeney point terns.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 78
hi Paul

Regards
Kathy
x

When I was in primary school we went to Inchcolm Island in the Firth of Forth and one of the teachers got pooped on right on the head by a tern, oh how we laughed! ;)

I don't get to the coast regularly enough to see sufficient numbers, but I've seen Common Terns off Ayr, Little Terns in Ballantrae (a hot-spot for them I believe), but most terns I've seen were on the Farne Islands, where I got three species, Arctic, Common and Sandwich.

I must say, I've never felt as uncomfortable on an island as I did then, not because the birds were dive-bombing people, but because there were too many people on the island. I know I was one of them, but you could hardly move in some spots and I seriously think they should look at restricting numbers allowed on the islands at any particular time.

Thankfully all the people stuck to the paths, and there were a few fenced off areas, like the ones around the Sandwich Tern nests.

I've not experienced 'bomb alley' but have been on the boat to the Sandwich Tern breeding colony at Blakeney Point and seen the fenced off area on Holkham beach and the Little Terns nesting there. I think it could have done with better signs really though! We actually get a reasonable number of Common Terns on my local river in the summer, I've seen them fishing not half a mile from my house and they definitely breed around here as I've seen them catch fish and carry it off elsewhere.

Had a laugh at the Black-headed Gull trying to blend in with the terns in your third picture. :)

He does rather stand out! |:D| There's actually a large bh gull colony there too so you see a lot of them hanging about with the Terns. There are some Arctic Terns around there too, some people (including my brother) saw one flying about but my id was (and is!)rather shaky, so I didn't see it. |8(| Mind you, since I wasn't really a birdwatcher at the time (that was the catalyst trip that made me one) I don't think I can beat myself up too much for missing an Arctic, although I really would love to see one... next trip I must make time for the boat trip!

Just last night I watched an old episode of How to Watch Wildlife with the bomb alley on the Farnes, so cool! Plus the Nature's Top 40 programme the other day featured it. Amazing stuff, terns really are fantastic birds! :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back